Modding Tools Update - something that I would like to see

Users who are viewing this thread

I and others are really looking forward to the modding tools being released- the thought of a Bannerlords PoP, Perisno, Persistent Worlds, Mercenaries variant is awesome.
We are working very hard on the modding tools but can't give any ETA as usual...
We know the modding tools are being worked on, but it would be nice to know some more specifics, such as

Is the scene creator basically the same as the one they teased in 2014?
Do they have a patch number that they aim to release the tools in? (like 1.5.2 or 1.8 for example)

Here is the closest thing that we have to a modding tools discussion, but it would be great if there was a whole update newsletter thing (like they did for the early access update)

Other than that some documentation for the tools would be very cool, giving us insight on how the different editors work, etc.

EDIT: another scene editor video (2015)

EDIT 2:
-When asked if we can add items/troops/etc from the editor
@gkx#6712 said:
game xmls are not exposed to editor
after you import your meshes, textures, skeleton etc you need to add a entry to spitems.xml for example
-In a conversation about someone making an xml editor he said:
@gkx#6712 said:
some module xmls have editors, but they are mostly related to engine like flora_kinds.xml, phyiscs_materials.xml etc
-When reading a conversation on taking bets on modding tools release date
@gkx#6712 said:
editor is coming, this means ability to add scenes, meshes, materials, particles, atmospheres etc
-When asked if this was specifically a scene editor
@gkx#6712 said:
@Ettenrocal we have one editor with many tools, which includes scene creation
-When asked if we could tool out own editors inside the editor. (Based on the face we found custom editor gui elements inside the alpha)
@gkx#6712 said:
no custom ui support but scripts public variables exposed automaticly to editor
- When asked if it would be a month or two. (6/18/2020)
@gkx#6712 said:
@Panopticon i dont know exact the timeline, im not working on it for right now, i did lots and lots of work on the tooling but when it comes to external use, it came with different problems than doing it for releasing the game
- Thanks @SupaNinjaMan

Last edited:
I have a few good ideas to improve this game ... need tools though. High level front end would be nice for noobs. :grin:
From what we have seen, I don't think that the modding tools themselves are too friendly to noobs. Of course, so OSP packs with materials to create maps/scenes/other things will be eventually made, judging from the history of the M+B modding community

Here's everything our main man gkx, who did most of the work on the front end tools, said about the editor release from the modding discord.
-When asked if we can add items/troops/etc from the editor
@gkx#6712 said:
game xmls are not exposed to editor
after you import your meshes, textures, skeleton etc you need to add a entry to spitems.xml for example

-In a conversation about someone making an xml editor he said:
@gkx#6712 said:
some module xmls have editors, but they are mostly related to engine like flora_kinds.xml, phyiscs_materials.xml etc

-When reading a conversation on taking bets on modding tools release date
@gkx#6712 said:
editor is coming, this means ability to add scenes, meshes, materials, particles, atmospheres etc

-When asked if this was specifically a scene editor
@gkx#6712 said:
@Ettenrocal we have one editor with many tools, which includes scene creation

-When asked if we could tool out own editors inside the editor. (Based on the face we found custom editor gui elements inside the alpha)
@gkx#6712 said:
no custom ui support but scripts public variables exposed automaticly to editor

- When asked if it would be a month or two. (6/18/2020)
@gkx#6712 said:
@Panopticon i dont know exact the timeline, im not working on it for right now, i did lots and lots of work on the tooling but when it comes to external use, it came with different problems than doing it for releasing the game

I honestly think the scene editor will be fairly noob friendly, not as easy as say Unreal, but leagues better than Warband's.

These are the notes I took on the editor files left in the alpha. They all seem like they are from the scene editor. They've worked on it a lot since then, so I'm sure this is all way out of date, but it may be useful to someone to read.
Editor Info:
  • There are brushes, with the possibility to add new ones. Possibly for terrain and scene editing, but it also leans towards a decal editor or similar.
  • Editor allows for skins! In the beta there are quite a few already.
    • Black (custom icons and bg)
    • Fire (custom icons and bg, has popeye)
    • Machinery (custom icons)
    • Metal
    • Sandy
    • Xmas
    • And without custom assets there are:
    • Coffee
    • Commandline
    • Dark
    • Darkorange
    • Final
    • Greenonblack
    • Newstyle
    • Style
    • Style_template
    • Style_template_orj
    • visualDebug
    • I’ll read through the .qss files sometime later
  • Based on available icons there are:
    • Paint AO
    • Paint CVolor
    • Paint Flora
    • Paint Terrain
    • Particle Editor
    • Path Editor
    • An Edit mode named prt_edit_mode with a cube with highlighter verts and G I? (Global Illumination?)
    • Water Flow (possibly paintable)
    • Vertex Paint Mode
    • Atmosphere Editor
    • Add Terrain
    • Add Entity
    • Skeleton Editor, which seems to allow you to make the skeleton in engine as it also has buttons to add bones and add ik stuff
    • Scene Editor
    • LOD generation? Maybe a way to force LODs for inspection.

Back
Top Bottom