Modding Q&A [For Quick Questions and Answers]

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bcw]Btm_Earendil said:
First of all: Welcome back to modding Warband! :party:
No worries, you will relearn stuff^^
Avareee said:
WARNING: store_script_param_1 is used more than once: update_volunteer_troops_in_village
WARNING: Global variable never used: g_dplmc_cam_activated
WARNING: Global variable never used: g_dplmc_charge_when_dead
In general if it is just a warning you can just ignore it. But you can also check the respective script or where the global variable should have gotten used, to look up what's going on there.
the command "#python" is either misspelled or could not be found (I have it in german, so It could be wrong)
Not sure what you mean with that command or where you use it.

First of all thanks for your reply and your welcoming :grin: :party:.
Yess, I'm certain that I will relearn those stuff again, since it wasn't really something special what I knew :razz:
And good to know that I could just ignore the Warning.

On the second problem. I have a screenshot here. That problem comes after "exporting item data" if that makes any difference.
https://imgur.com/OVSub12

Check again if you have done everything correctly while setting up phyton and the path. Best description is here:
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,240255.0.html
Might be that in your path there is a space (Leerzeichen) too much or something similar like this.

But it also seems to compile the rest without problems, so the issue might also be at another place...

Somebody said:
You can change the amount required but not the base skill/attr. You can always add custom triggers to remove armour that the player can't wear.

Okay. I'll look into that, or I'll ask here when the time comes. I'm a while away from wanting to do that. Thanks

Unrelated to that, is it possible to create scrolling textures? I'm keen on making some river and waterfall assets. Animated textures - a bit like the current water texture- would be the next best thing.

BeefBacon said:
Also, is there any documentation regarding economics?

that sort of stuff in general, save some exceptions, is left for the modder to read the code, test, explore, learn and modify as he goes. No tutorials.

one thingy you can do is start from a empty module and add your features as you go into that, testing what they do, and what you missed. You dont need to work from Native/etc all the time. Even if that is not your actual project, just the testing grounds (lab project).

[Bcw]Btm_Earendil said:
Check again if you have done everything correctly while setting up phyton and the path. Best description is here:
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,240255.0.html
Might be that in your path there is a space (Leerzeichen) too much or something similar like this.

But it also seems to compile the rest without problems, so the issue might also be at another place...

Yes I checked that thread, and I think I done everything right, even though I'm on Windows 10 so its a bit different(?)
I reinstalled python and it still does the same. By the way is it right to only use version 2.7.16? of Python or can I use higher/latest?

Avareee said:
of Python or can I use higher/latest?

Python 2.x, not 3.x, and you can use the latest.

Do you have both installed by chance? Your error message is in German, which I dont read, so translator only goes so far, but looks like your module_items.py or a dependency is trying to force the execution of Python using the wrong system call.

what module system are you using? If not pure Native you will need to examine those files yourself. Copy and paste here any parts of the code that you dont understand may help.

kalarhan said:
Avareee said:
of Python or can I use higher/latest?

Python 2.x, not 3.x, and you can use the latest.

Do you have both installed by chance? Your error message is in German, which I dont read, so translator only goes so far, but looks like your module_items.py or a dependency is trying to force the execution of Python using the wrong system call.

what module system are you using? If not pure Native you will need to examine those files yourself. Copy and paste here any parts of the code that you dont understand may help.

No, I have just installed 2.x.. Yes I changed my computers language now, and it spits this error (when the path is wrong usually): '#python' is not recognized as internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Like I said I'm using the Source(modsys) of Native Warband Enhanced Mod.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/warband-enhanced
I think the problem could be with the path of Python, since I'm using Win10 and there is no real explanation how to set python up on it.(So I may did it wrong)

EDIT: I've fixed it. I edited the build_module.bat
https://imgur.com/a/PfVDehx
I just deleted the "#" there. :razz: :grin:
So it wasn't a "real bug" it seems like, it was just made to not load the scenes.

A question, I found out a way to set up a garrison in villages, but it's pretty much useless other then letting you not pay for the garrisoned troops.
So, I've been wondering if we can replace villages with castles but tweak those specific castles to have menus and icons and maybe purpose similar to villages?

I want to know if it is possible before trying, plus this will add more possibilities for this supposed new "villages" as for economy, well 1200AD removed villages if i'm correct, so there is a workaround for it I think.

Thanks in advance,
Algerian Sultan.

Algerian.Sultan said:
I want to know if it is possible before trying

the entire economy and center system (village, castles and towns) is defined on the modsys, so you can do whatever you want with it (no limitation or hardcoded stuff in your way). Same goes for the menus used for them, and which options those menus have.

I'm in the process of removing unwanted towns and villages and bumped into a lot of this sort of thing:

Code:
        (try_begin),
          (this_or_next|is_between, ":village_no", "p_village_16", "p_village_23"), #Shapeshte through Shulus (up to Ilvia)
          (this_or_next|is_between, ":village_no", "p_village_49", "p_village_51"), #Tismirr and Karindi
          (this_or_next|eq, ":village_no", "p_village_75"), #Bhulaban
          (is_between, ":village_no", "p_village_85", "p_village_87"), #Ismirala and Slezkh
          (assign, ":normal_village_icon", "icon_village_snow_a"),
          (assign, ":burnt_village_icon", "icon_village_snow_burnt_a"),
          (assign, ":deserted_village_icon", "icon_village_snow_deserted_a"),
        (else_try),
          (is_between, ":village_no", "p_village_57", "p_salt_mine"), #Ayn Assuadi through Rushdigh
          (assign, ":normal_village_icon", "icon_village_c"),
          (assign, ":burnt_village_icon", "icon_village_burnt_c"),
          (assign, ":deserted_village_icon", "icon_village_deserted_c"),
        (else_try),
          (assign, ":normal_village_icon", "icon_village_a"),
          (assign, ":burnt_village_icon", "icon_village_burnt_a"),
          (assign, ":deserted_village_icon", "icon_village_deserted_a"),
        (try_end),

Is this assigning models to villages? I thought that was done via module_parties:

Code:
  ("village_40","Fallowstone",  icon_village_a|pf_village, no_menu, pt_none, fac_neutral,0,ai_bhvr_hold,0,(-12, -53),[], 170),

One of these seems redundant, and I'm hoping that it's the former because I've grouped villages according to faction and location, not terrain.

I've also seen a lot of code that suggests that villages behave differently when in deserts, but I'm not clear on what those differences are, or how I'd go about un-assigning those villages safely. Desert doesn't even exist in my mod (though I may end up using desert on the map as a method of generating slightly different scenes for slightly different regions) so am I able to just delete those scripts? I assume so, I've just not tried it yet. Also, does is_between look at villages numerically regardless of their order in module_parties, or does it ignore the p_village_x name and only take its order in module_parties into account?

use OpenBRF and check those icon models. As the variables and names suggests they have unique models to represent normal village, destroyed (after raid), etc.

that is for Native, you can do whatever you want with your mod.

kalarhan said:
use OpenBRF and check those icon models. As the variables and names suggests they have unique models to represent normal village, destroyed (after raid), etc.

that is for Native, you can do whatever you want with your mod.

Yeah I understand that, I think, I'm just wondering why the village model is also described in module_parties. Surely it's redundant if it's in module_scripts? Unless it's just to assign a specific non-destroyed model to that particular village?

Also, as I asked before, how does is_between work?

If I have 1,5,3 and I say is_between 1 and 3, does that include 5, or does it skip it?

BeefBacon said:
I'm in the process of removing unwanted towns and villages and bumped into a lot of this sort of thing:

# script_process_village_raids
  # Input: none
  # Output: none
  # called from triggers every two hours

I don't think you know very well what you're doing, you should try to learn a little more about coding and how things work before deleting something...

Dj_FRedy said:
BeefBacon said:

I don't think you know very well what you're doing, you should try to learn a little more about coding and how things work before deleting something...

No... I know what the script does but again, I'm just wondering why the village model is assigned in both module_parties and module_scripts. Seems as though it should be one or the other. Presumably one overrides the other. If I really was completely in the dark as to what the script did, your answer would be even less helpful than it is already. I'm trying to learn. That's why I'm here.

[Bcw]Btm_Earendil said:
You could simply replace the villages by castle by switching the icons of them and replacing the respective scenes. Then your castles would produce basic stuff though, not sure if you want that but you also mentioned that you want to replace villages...
Well, what I meant was removing villages completely and using castles as new villages, I know how to change icons, that's easy. Menus, not that hard as well, but economy never touched it before.
But I got my answer from kalarhan.

kalarhan said:
the entire economy and center system (village, castles and towns) is defined on the modsys, so you can do whatever you want with it (no limitation or hardcoded stuff in your way). Same goes for the menus used for them, and which options those menus have.
I see, that's what I wanted to know. Since it's possible and not hardcoded, all I have to do is baby step my way till I reach my goal and succeed.
Thanks kalarhan For your help.

PS: is there anything I need to be aware of, or should I just start besieging the module system from now on?

BeefBacon said:
Dj_FRedy said:
BeefBacon said:

No... I know what the script does but again, I'm just wondering why the village model is assigned in both module_parties and module_scripts. Seems as though it should be one or the other. Presumably one overrides the other. If I really was completely in the dark as to what the script did, your answer would be even less helpful than it is already. I'm trying to learn. That's why I'm here.
Most probably the code snippet inside the module_parties is handling all the icons on the world map and thus also the icons of villages. The part which you have here assigns to these 'parties' an icon depending on their status (normal, looted, etc.) which also depends on their position of the map. Not every village has an unique icon, some are in a winter region, sand region, etc.. If you see the same in a Native module system it is with a very high probability not redundant, modders would have already removed it otherwise :wink:

Code:
(is_between, ":village_no", "p_village_85", "p_village_87"),
Village 85 is included, it starts counting there until village 87 which isn't included anymore. I recommend to read Lav's expanded header_operations (http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,213060.0.html) and the introduction to the MS Syntax (https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,142422.0.html).

And I partially agree with DJ_FRedy, it is not the best idea to start in the middle of everything how to do it^^

Algerian.Sultan said:
[Bcw]Btm_Earendil said:
You could simply replace the villages by castle by switching the icons of them and replacing the respective scenes. Then your castles would produce basic stuff though, not sure if you want that but you also mentioned that you want to replace villages...
Well, what I meant was removing villages completely and using castles as new villages, I know how to change icons, that's easy. Menus, not that hard as well, but economy never touched it before.
But I got my answer from kalarhan.

kalarhan said:
I see, that's what I wanted to know. Since it's possible and not hardcoded, all I have to do is baby step my way till I reach my goal and succeed.
Thanks kalarhan For your help.

PS: is there anything I need to be aware of, or should I just start besieging the module system from now on?
Well, I only mentioned the easy and fast way, in which you would only have to edit/deactivate the economic settings of the villages since you mentioned that you want to replace villages which means for me that you won't need them. Then you could have made edits to the villages menues etc. afterwards.

[Bcw]Btm_Earendil said:
Most probably the code snippet inside the module_parties is handling all the icons on the world map and thus also the icons of villages. The part which you have here assigns to these 'parties' an icon depending on their status (normal, looted, etc.) which also depends on their position of the map. Not every village has an unique icon, some are in a winter region, sand region, etc.. If you see the same in a Native module system it is with a very high probability not redundant, modders would have already removed it otherwise :wink:

Village 85 is included, it starts counting there until village 87 which isn't included anymore. I recommend to read Lav's expanded header_operations (http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,213060.0.html) and the introduction to the MS Syntax (https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,142422.0.html).

And I partially agree with DJ_FRedy, it is not the best idea to start in the middle of everything how to do it^^

Oh yeah, I wouldn't remove something just because I think it's redundant. I have no idea if it is or not - though I do get a few notifications when I compile informing me of duplicates dotted about here and there, but I probably won't do anything about them unless they start causing problems. If it works it works. What I was confused by is the fact that module_parties assigns what I assume is an unlooted map model, and that module_scripts also assigns an unlooted map model as well as the appropriate looted and abandoned models. Doesn't matter all that much, it isn't as though it could possibly cause any major problems in any case, I just thought it was weird.

As for my other question, I realise now that I am a dumb. The answer is obvious, and I even knew that the answer was obvious, I just got focused on the fact that p_village_ ends with a number when that's pretty much irrelevant.

That syntax thing will be very useful. I tried searching for something similar in the past but didn't have much luck. My understanding is vague, but any errors I make can be quickly rectified. Most of the changes I want to make are fairly superficial. The mod itself isn't large - hence why I'm removing villages rather than adding them. There's a couple of semi-interesting features that don't seem overly difficult to add that I'm keen on putting in, so it should work out.

Thanks for your help. As always, the people on this forum seem happy to help with babby's first Warband mod, and I'm grateful for that. More questions inbound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom