Modding Q&A [For Quick Questions and Answers]

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
homicuda said:
Ramaraunt said:
Gah, I need water travel in my mod, but its verrry hard to find a good one. Where can I get a good water travel coding kit? I don't have time to code one myself.
I think that all existing water travel systems are bad not very good. But the best of them should be in VC
Light and Darkness have good water travel system.It needs little more coding but it's good.Only thing is i dont think its OSP

Ramaraunt said:
Gah, I need water travel in my mod, but its verrry hard to find a good one. Where can I get a good water travel coding kit? I don't have time to code one myself.

A Clash Of Kings has a nice water travel system, but I'm not sure if you could use or adapt it. Might be worth asking, though.

homicuda said:
(I stopped using packs a year ago and created my own language and modsys, so can't comment on how they are right now)
Own language? The ony question: HOW? Can you tell something about it? I think it will be quite interesting.

What do you mean by how? We have a clear API, it doesn't matter how you generate your text files. You could write a new compiler and a new way of writing code (language) using whatever you want (C, Java, JS, Python3, Lua, ...).

My solution is just a hobby project and not meant for public release. I just wanted better dev tools (debugging, direct access to memory, validation, companion APP for new UI, stuff like that). It didn't change the .exe or anything like that, just replaced the modsys and introduced new IDE and tools.

Cheers

So I guess my question right now is, when on water AI doesnt path through bridges very well. Is this a limitation of the engine in warband, or is it possible to get this to work?

kalarhan said:
emir512 said:
Friend! If you read it right, I'm trying to merge freelancer not diplomacy and freelancer latest source was made and tested for 1143 not with any later one. I have diplomacy source for 1168 with many brand new features.
I mentioned diplomacy as it has freelancer merged on it, but you could also use other mods as your base. Floris, Freelancer (full modsys, not the modmerger), etc. There are some newer updates on the mod forums for 1.166+ version, so you could check them and talk to the devs (modders) to ask for the source.

But of course if you want to do it manually that is a option as well. Note that is unlike your game will run well if you use 1.143 modsys with the current engine (1.16:cool:, so you will need a old game version as well.
Thnx for the help and suggestions bro.
One last and little question. If I use floris source, it may contain new items. Maybe, I don't know. Do some of the items not need external textures or if I compile floris, will it work by simply replacing the native module with floris.txt files adding no external textures? I know its a stupid question but I don't know it yet.

How do i make Troop Trees  and stuff like that in Morghs.I mean i know how to create troops but when i do something in mod sys like add new codes and then compile my troops just get overwritten.Is that suposed to be like that and is there way to change it.PS i know to create troops in mod sys but its just much longer and more boring

Look at the bottom of module_troops.py. Pretty simple.

upgrade (initial troop, troop your upgrading to),

or

upgrade2(initial troop, troop your upgrading to, another troop your upgrading to),

Ramaraunt said:
Look at the bottom of module_troops.py. Pretty simple.

upgrade (initial troop, troop your upgrading to),

or

upgrade2(initial troop, troop your upgrading to, another troop your upgrading to),
You dont understand me :grin:.I know to create troops in Mod Sys but its just taking too long and is more boring when you compare it with morghs but when i create troops in Morghs they just get overwritten when i compile my module next time.

emir512 said:
If I use floris source

when you download Floris you won't have to worry about any of that. Its a big download (+1GB) and comes with 3 (IIRC) developer options (more features, or closer to Native). And all the assets (music, new textures, new BRFs, etc).

It is not just the modsys (source code).

You can choose what to keep. That your decision as the modder. Use only the code, or only the textures, or all of it.

Again its for a slighty older engine version, so keep a eye for new bugs and what they have done in the mod forum the last year or so.

DarkNord said:
Morghs they just get overwritten when i compile my module next time.
You can edit troops using the modsys (module_troops.py) with Morgh's. Go back to the tool site/documentation and check your settings. Once you fix that it won't override your changes.

http://mountandblade.mircon.de/wp/morghs-mb-wbwfas-editor/frequently-asked-questions-en/

And what about World Map?Same problem i make it,it works perfectly.I compile my mod map is back to old.And can you explain to me what i need to do in Morghs settings?I also tried to as module location set location of module sys insted.But that unsuprisngly doesn't work

[quote author=kalarhan
if you visit the tool thread as suggested above you will see that module_parties.py is not included on modsys edits. The settings should be there as well.
[/quote]
i read that link you gave and don't seem to find what you are talking about.You wanna say there is no Module Parties.py in Mod Sys folder?

DarkNord said:
i read that link....

here ya go
Morgh said:
Python module system editors (Warband only!):

- module_items.py
- module_troops.py
- module_party_templates.py

Compiled TXT editors (Warband / With Fire And Sword):

- troops.txt
- factions.txt
- parties.txt
- party_template.txt
- item_kinds1.txt

Is there a practical/performance limit to how many towns/villages can be used?
I am planning on 2 factions w/ around 50 towns and ~150 villages each (single castle each faction, similar to L'Aigle I suppose).

I thought I read somewhere that large numbers of parties cause campaign map lag, does this also apply to towns/villages?
Since they are static, I would lean towards the position that they do not have a large impact; but then again more towns/villages means more inputs to AI algos, more caravans, more villager parties, etc....

Has anyone ever tested/experimented with this?

wrwlf said:
I am planning on 2 factions w/ around 50 towns and ~150 villages each (single castle each faction, similar to L'Aigle I suppose).

depends on your coding skills. Once you leave the confort of Native scale you need to be ready to go deep into the code and see how things really work, and what could affect performance on your very particular case.

VC, as a example, has ~30 towns, ~100 castles, ~150 villages, ~20 factions and includes sea travel. It had to do some special changes on heavier triggers as older computer were having map lag. The dev even posted on the forum about what they experienced with, and you can check the game code as well.

Also remember that bigger doesn't mean better. It is not about size, but gameplay and keeping things interesting.

kalarhan said:
wrwlf said:

depends on your coding skills. Once you leave the confort of Native scale you need to be ready to go deep into the code and see how things really work, and what could affect performance on your very particular case.

VC, as a example, has ~30 towns, ~100 castles, ~150 villages, ~20 factions and includes sea travel. It had to do some special changes on heavier triggers as older computer were having map lag. The dev even posted on the forum about what they experienced with, and you can check the game code as well.

Also remember that bigger doesn't mean better. It is not about size, but gameplay and keeping things interesting.

Yeah, I figured as much. I will definitely take a look at the VC source.
With just 2 factions and a fairly large, detailed map (historical basis) I figured the more settlements the better.
Thanks for the advice!

What are the item slots for item_get_slot? I want to make a script that determines if player and troops are mounted, for this:

https://i.gyazo.com/f212b7f676647df9c4bc1429daccf3bf.jpg

Figured that part out on my own...

Next question: What script adds troops to towns? I want to make a simillar script taht adds guards to ferries.

Ferries are working! Only problem is the ai doesn't use them yet. But thats ok, I think I know how to figure that part out. Going to include this in my fixed up version of the Way of the Sea OSP.

I have Morghs Editor.
What happens when you increase the Abundance of Trade Goods? Does the Trade overall drop down and all cities dont really need to trade? Or do they trade less?
What happens if you decrease the Abundance of Trade Goods? Does that increase Trade?

Is there a reason why troops aren't being added to this ferry station i'm working on, I'm using this pretty basic simple trigger, and even this doesn't work.

Maybe the troops are added to the party, they just aren't visible? I feel like there is something I'm missing.

Code:
    (try_for_range, ":party_no", ferry_points_begin, ferry_points_end),
	   (party_get_num_companions, ":party_size", ":party_no"),
	   (lt, ":party_size", 100),
	   (party_get_slot, ":linked_town", ":party_no", slot_party_ferry_bound_center ),
	   (store_faction_of_party, ":template_faction", ":linked_town"),
    (faction_get_slot, ":party_template_a", ":template_faction", slot_faction_reinforcements_a),
    (faction_get_slot, ":party_template_b", ":template_faction", slot_faction_reinforcements_b),
    (faction_get_slot, ":party_template_c", ":template_faction", slot_faction_reinforcements_c),
	   (store_random_in_range, ":randomizer", 1,4),
	   (try_begin),
	   (eq, ":randomizer", 1),
	   (party_add_template, ":party_no", ":party_template_a"),
	   (else_try),
	   (eq, ":randomizer", 2),
	   (party_add_template, ":party_no", ":party_template_b"),
	   (else_try),
	   (party_add_template, ":party_no", ":party_template_c"),
       (try_end),	 
	 (try_end),

Anyways, im going on vacation for a week. So happy coding :grin:

here ya go
Morgh said:
Python module system editors (Warband only!):

- module_items.py
- module_troops.py
- module_party_templates.py

Compiled TXT editors (Warband / With Fire And Sword):

- troops.txt
- factions.txt
- parties.txt
- party_template.txt
- item_kinds1.txt
[/quote]
Ahhh that i read FaQ...That was mistake o found this.But as i see it says that as directory i can put Mod Sys but i tried that and it says invalid mod directory...Anyway thx for helping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom