Modding Q&A [For Quick Questions and Answers]

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just as precise, but the values are essentially arbitrary because they're squared. If all you need is to compare two squared distances then it should work fine, but if you need something that calculates something based on distance (like troops gaining health based on how close they are to a medic troop, for example) then it's basically useless.

kalarhan said:
emir512 said:
I used wreck with ms 1143,

1) why are you using old 1.143? Most recent version is 1.166/1.168. Wreck already comes with a new version of modsys (and converted to the tool syntax)

2) if all you want is to merge diplomacy with native, why not look for the diplomacy mod source? 4.2 or 4.3 (check mod forum)
Friend! If you read it right, I'm trying to merge freelancer not diplomacy and freelancer latest source was made and tested for 1143 not with any later one. I have diplomacy source for 1168 with many brand new features.
Anyways, the main problem is that I can't merge it means that I don't know how to merge it. If this gets settled, I'm planning to merge my favorite osps to make a small mod with features I like the most and that's the full explanation of my problem.
Thnx.

Someone detail me adding new items (weapons,armors etc).
My friend know how to add them using Open Brf and Morghs but i need to know to do it in ModSys cause otherwise when i compile my mod wouldn't these itemse get overwrited/delete.Sry for bad english.And also how to "unmerge" items.Example when i want to use osp it's usually in one big BRF file so do i need to "unmerge" it or i can use it like that.And please explain it like you're explaining it to complete noob. XD :smile: And also how to add scene props.

Hello,

Open brf shows all textures blue-white. İ cant Fix it. Can anyone help me ?

L39qEG.png
r9PbRN.png
PMXbBN.png

jacobhinds said:
It's just as precise, but the values are essentially arbitrary because they're squared. If all you need is to compare two squared distances then it should work fine, but if you need something that calculates something based on distance (like troops gaining health based on how close they are to a medic troop, for example) then it's basically useless.

you can use it with ranges. Example:

100% healing if closer than 3 m
50% healing if closer than 10m

You can't use the distance value (sq) in direct calculation, like trying to sum up two distances.

Remember this is a optimization and you should only use it if your code can impact performance. If you are doing a simple one time calculation, no reason for it. If you have a trigger that does hundreds of calculations per second, each CPU cycle matters.

emir512 said:
Friend! If you read it right, I'm trying to merge freelancer not diplomacy and freelancer latest source was made and tested for 1143 not with any later one. I have diplomacy source for 1168 with many brand new features.
I mentioned diplomacy as it has freelancer merged on it, but you could also use other mods as your base. Floris, Freelancer (full modsys, not the modmerger), etc. There are some newer updates on the mod forums for 1.166+ version, so you could check them and talk to the devs (modders) to ask for the source.

But of course if you want to do it manually that is a option as well. Note that is unlike your game will run well if you use 1.143 modsys with the current engine (1.16:cool:, so you will need a old game version as well.

Dragon Caliph said:
DarkNord said:
Dragon Caliph said:
Hello,

Open brf shows all textures blue-white. İ cant Fix it. Can anyone help me ?

L39qEG.png
r9PbRN.png
PMXbBN.png
Tried re-download xD?
Yes, it didn't  work. :sad:
Well i think it's not broken or something.I never use OpenBRF a lot but i think thats same with me textures blue and white but i think someone will help you or i will try to "fix" mine in 1 hour (Cousins 9 years old came and occupied my PC xD)Can you help me with my problem i wrote it above.

Can castles have more than 1 fief?

jacobhinds' tutorial for factions mentions castle/1 village and town/3+ villages.

@Dragon Caliph, it hapens when your open brf file is not in module.ini .Just place resources and textures into some mod folder, then write a string
Code:
load_mod_resource = arab_equipment
to your module.ini . I had this "problem" myself many times before i've understood the reason.

@Dragon Caliph, are you using a computer with integrated graphics (no dedicated card) or a very old card? I was recently and this is what openBRF looked like.

kraggrim said:
@Dragon Caliph, are you using a computer with integrated graphics (no dedicated card) or a very old card? I was recently and this is what openBRF looked like.
It can be old theme of Windows. (without aero )

Thanks for the answers about squared distance. I still don't entirely understand it (that's what I get for stopping at Trig), but I think I've grasped it enough for the present.

For my next question, I want to test a scene + new mission template outside of SP campaign, outside of multiplayer, and outside of custom battles (aka quick battles). I'm hoping to avoid complications arising from connections w/ their code since I want something of a blank slate and isolated environment to mess around with.

Is this misguided? Would I be better off trying to modify vanilla custom battles or something? I've been having trouble even just initiating this blank slate mission template + scene in the game, since the main menu is hardcoded (to some degree) and I'm not quite sure where to provide the button that will run the set_jump_mission and jump_to_scene for starting the mt+scene.

Dragon Caliph said:
Thanks guys,
I'm doing it, it's not about him. :smile: Computer, in Windows 7, the best version is set for. The graphics card I should change? :neutral:

I had integrated graphics (so basically no graphics) when I had same problem as you. If you have a graphics card that's probably not the problem.

Thanks kalarhan. I thought I was going to have to deal w/ a bunch of compiler errors, but it seems like the game_custom_battle_designer presentation is pretty self-contained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom