Modding Q&A [For Quick Questions and Answers]

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
"2" means it uses inteligence as the base attribute, "10" is the max lvl
you can change "2" for 0,1 or 3 and It'll use another attribute and change "10" to anything, but skills beyond lvl 15 won't make a difference.

actually, its not to any number, there is a limit because it's stored in bits or sth like that, but you can set it to 15 and there will be no problem.

Try chaining the dialog from start or use troop_set_inventory_slot?
Code:
  [anyone|plyr,"spouse_talk",
   [],
   "Doff thine headgear, good {wife/husband}!", "member_trade",[
   (troop_set_inventory_slot, "$g_talk_troop", ek_head, -1),
  ]],

[anyone,"member_trade", [], "Very well, it's all here...", "do_member_trade",[
#      (change_screen_trade)
      (change_screen_equip_other),
      ]],
  [anyone,"do_member_trade", [(troop_slot_eq, "trp_player", slot_troop_spouse, "$g_talk_troop"),], "Do you find me unpleasant, {playername}...?", "spouse_pretalk",[]],
  [anyone,"do_member_trade", [], "Anything else?", "member_talk",[]],

Thank you so much.  I obviously didn't even understand the first number.  I played around with the txt file at one point and messed up my file pretty bad.  Copying the backup back into the main file fixed that though.

I saw something in a thread that had to do with changing persuasion's first number to a three-digit number and it confused me.

Again, thanks. 

as0017 said:
Roemerboy said:
as0017 said:
I want to make a body look like Anubis.
So I wonder, can my mod have animations for two types of body?
Such as man fight with wolfman.

Yes this is possible. But I think, that it would more easy to create an own race for your anubis. Than is it much more easy to script that anubis use animation_b_1 - ..._b_7
and a human use animation_a_1 - ..._a_7 .
Oh thanks.
But how to add new race?
Which file I must edit?
And can I add a new vehicle type such as elephant with same way?

I never added a new race, so I can't tell it to you. But I know, that you must modefie more than 1 file. I don't know ass a vehicle works on the same way. :/

Question:
Is there a way, to find the module_constans.py data in the .txt-files again?

Somebody said:
Try chaining the dialog from start or use troop_set_inventory_slot?
Code:
   [],
   "Doff thine headgear, good {wife/husband}!", "member_trade",[
   (troop_set_inventory_slot, "$g_talk_troop", ek_head, -1),
  ]],

[anyone,"member_trade", [], "Very well, it's all here...", "do_member_trade",[
#      (change_screen_trade)
      (change_screen_equip_other),
      ]],
  [anyone,"do_member_trade", [(troop_slot_eq, "trp_player", slot_troop_spouse, "$g_talk_troop"),], "Do you find me unpleasant, {playername}...?", "spouse_pretalk",[]],
  [anyone,"do_member_trade", [], "Anything else?", "member_talk",[]],

Thanks, you helped me figure out what I did wrong.  Apparently, some of the "change_screen_xxx" commands don't work properly if you use "close_window" as the dialogue topic that follows it.  For example, this doesn't work:

Code:
	[],
	"I bought you a new {dress/sword}.", "close_window",
	[(change_screen_equip_other)]
],

So I needed to copy how it was done for companions, with a "member_trade" and a "do_member_trade".  I just changed it to this and it worked:

Code:
	[],
	"I bought you a new {dress/sword}.", "spouse_equip_talk",
	[(change_screen_equip_other)]
],

[anyone,"spouse_equip_talk",
	[],
	"Thank you, {playername}.  It looks {lovely/nice and deadly}.", "close_window",
	[]
],

as0017 said:
How to add a new race ? Such as Anubis.
Thanks for replies.

as0017 said:
as0017 said:
Thanks for replies.

Did you go through all the BRF files? There has to be one with the "naked body". Or just add the body as an armor that always stays on the character. About the head I have no idea (or you could add the Anubis head as a helmet and save yourself the trouble of changing the body). The armor idea might work only if the Anubis race is NPC. If it's playable I have no idea.

@Dawiduh: thank you
I already have these models for Anubis race.
And it is a new type of troop, not a NPC. It's playable.
Now, after searching around the forum,  I'm researching about "Barf's skeleton army". But I still need help, because Anubis race have different animations.

A new question, how to add a new type of items, such as two daggers for two hands, or elephant ...
I had animations and models for them, but I don't know how to add them into the game.

as0017 said:
as0017 said:
Thanks for replies.

Adding new race is about creating new skins on module_skins.py. Any races can have unique skeleton, but AFAIK we cannot assign new standard animations for them. So it will need some tricks to make the animations work for different skeletons. TLD's troll is good example how they deal with a new skeleton with standard animations.

dunde said:
Adding new race is about creating new skins on module_skins.py. Any races can have unique skeleton, but AFAIK we cannot assign new standard animations for them. So it will need some tricks to make the animations work for different skeletons. TLD's troll is good example how they deal with a new skeleton with standard animations.

Oh, it's a really good example. Thank you.
But do you know how they do it?

You can search GetAsista's posts. As I remember what he wrote  somewhere, it includes neat placement of bones and rigging. Here it is :
GetAssista said:
1. Fog :wink:
2. Custom vertex shaders (same principle as waving banners)
3. Different skeletons, but you need to have a) same amount of bones, and b) make sure that stock animations look ok on this skeleton cause you can't have different animations for different races
4. Scripting. Nothing overly complex, just tracking where you are geographically

I have another question again.  How do I use global variables?  Can I just create one on the spot, like I can with local variables?  Or do I have to add them to the variables.txt file first?  Do they work immediately, or do I need to start a new game first?

Also, what about the registers?  How safe is it to use them?  I'd think they're only for temporary storage, but if that were the case, why are there over 60 of them?  How do I know which ones are safe for me to use and which aren't?

fg109 said:
I have another question again.  How do I use global variables?  Can I just create one on the spot, like I can with local variables?  Or do I have to add them to the variables.txt file first?  Do they work immediately, or do I need to start a new game first?

Just create the variable : "$variable_name", it works immediately. variables.txt will be updated when you compile your MS. One thing you should consider is if you plan to make new version of your module without breaking game save compatibility. Different order of global variables will break game save compatibility. In this case, you can write your global variable manually into variables.txt (replace the reserved global variables) and copy the file into your modsys folder.

fg109 said:
Also, what about the registers?  How safe is it to use them?  I'd think they're only for temporary storage, but if that were the case, why are there over 60 of them?  How do I know which ones are safe for me to use and which aren't?
registers are saved to be used anywhere as long as you only use their values locally as some other scripts/code may use them also. Some scripts work like 'functions' use reg0 to pass their output value. Some triggers use registers as their input parameters.

Belendor said:
Someone in knowledge should write a guide/installation instructions on shaders. Can İ be known most basicly how to add parallax shaders from Barabas for instance, there are two files and İ don't feel like understanding any of both.

Edit: BRF goes in resources. .fx?

:roll:

I got this error and I don't know how to fix it.
Initializing...
Compiling all global variables...
Exporting strings...
Exporting skills...
Exporting tracks...
Exporting animations...
Exporting meshes...
Exporting sounds...
Exporting skins...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "process_skins.py", line 105, in <module>
    export_skins(skins)
  File "process_skins.py", line 93, in export_skins
    ofile.write(" %s %f "%(skeleton_name, scale))
TypeError: float argument required, not str

Exporting map icons...
Creating new tag_uses.txt file...
Creating new quick_strings.txt file...
Exporting faction data...
Exporting item data...
Exporting scene data...
Exporting troops data
Exporting particle data...
Exporting scene props...
Exporting tableau materials data...
Exporting presentations...
Exporting party_template data...
Exporting parties
Exporting quest data...
Exporting info_page data...
Exporting scripts...
Exporting mission_template data...
Exporting game menus data...
exporting simple triggers...
exporting triggers...
exporting dialogs...
Checking global variable usages...
Exporting postfx_params...

Script processing has ended.
Press any key to exit. . .

as0017 said:
I got this error and I don't know how to fix it.
Initializing...
Compiling all global variables...
Exporting strings...
Exporting skills...
Exporting tracks...
Exporting animations...
Exporting meshes...
Exporting sounds...
Exporting skins...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "process_skins.py", line 105, in <module>
    export_skins(skins)
  File "process_skins.py", line 93, in export_skins
    ofile.write(" %s %f "%(skeleton_name, scale))
TypeError: float argument required, not str

Exporting map icons...
Creating new tag_uses.txt file...
Creating new quick_strings.txt file...
Exporting faction data...
Exporting item data...
Exporting scene data...
Exporting troops data
Exporting particle data...
Exporting scene props...
Exporting tableau materials data...
Exporting presentations...
Exporting party_template data...
Exporting parties
Exporting quest data...
Exporting info_page data...
Exporting scripts...
Exporting mission_template data...
Exporting game menus data...
exporting simple triggers...
exporting triggers...
exporting dialogs...
Checking global variable usages...
Exporting postfx_params...

Script processing has ended.
Press any key to exit. . .
I believe you must have missed a comma or a bracket somewhere in your skins file.

Lumos said:
I believe you must have missed a comma or a bracket somewhere in your skins file.
I use backup file and redo everythings
Now, I don't do any mistake.
Every when I mesh a band of skeleton (I'm trying to add skeleton troop).
It crash to desktop
(may be brf error?)

All what I do to spawn them on the map is just replace "tp_looter" by "tp_skeleton"
Is that enough?

Is check_quest_finished degenerate now? neg|check_quest_finished didn't seemed to work in a dialogue window, so I assigned a global variable instead but this might be a problem with game save compatibility (planning to make a story mod, bit like the undying lands.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom