Modding Q&A [For Quick Questions and Answers]

Users who are viewing this thread

• tos1
Status
Not open for further replies.
this is a very noobish question, but how do u add those verticies in wings 3d, eg: to make a model more detailed

If you want to learn more about using Wings3D you should check out Highelfs' video tutorials in the stickies on the main page, they are quite good and will teach you how to add more vertices and manipulate them.

My Wings 3D user interface is acting wonky. Half of it doesn't show up, which means half my menus and tools don't either. Sometimes this effects loop lines as well.
Wings3DIssues.png

I've tried reinstalling it, that didn't work.

ref horses - I was experimenting with area damage options in an old mod, and made a throwing stone with a weapon length of 100+.  It seemed to hit anything it went near - just wondering then, does your throwing horse have javelin or throw-stone properties?

kiarj said:
Amman de Stazia said:
kiarj said:
Hey, just a quick info: Is there a way to enhance the technical volume of a throwing weapon?

I'm trying to make throwing horses (don't ask, don't tell) and right now you've still got to hit the enemy with the "edge" of the horse... Is there a way to make them into blocks?

Not sure if you can increase them across 3 dimensions, but in python increase the weapon length (for a horse, to correspond with the length of a spear, I'd suggest) and that will increase them in 2 dimensions at least.

Yeah, that's what I feared. I already got the right length, that's a start

Amman de Stazia said:
ref horses - I was experimenting with area damage options in an old mod, and made a throwing stone with a weapon length of 100+.  It seemed to hit anything it went near - just wondering then, does your throwing horse have javelin or throw-stone properties?

kiarj said:
Amman de Stazia said:
kiarj said:
Hey, just a quick info: Is there a way to enhance the technical volume of a throwing weapon?

I'm trying to make throwing horses (don't ask, don't tell) and right now you've still got to hit the enemy with the "edge" of the horse... Is there a way to make them into blocks?

Not sure if you can increase them across 3 dimensions, but in python increase the weapon length (for a horse, to correspond with the length of a spear, I'd suggest) and that will increase them in 2 dimensions at least.

Yeah, that's what I feared. I already got the right length, that's a start

Nope, it seems that didn't fix it... Though I could try to give it humongous properties, to see what it does

Yeah guys! I was wondering if its possible to take out factions, without using the modulesytem. Like instead of having five factions can I take a faction out of the game, without messing with the modulestyem.

How.. how do I place useful bridges? :???: Even a single tile wide river is too wide for a bridge, and I obviously can't fill the bits of rivers around the bridge, because then I fill the whole river. :sad:
Should I place two bridges next to eachother or something?

Eenlarge the map icon. In mapicons.py theres a list of icons and one of the tuples is for the size, the thing at the top of the page should tell you which one.

25k of polies for a scene prop. is a lot?I can't reduce it anymore and only 2 objects of it will be in the scene(50k poly in all the scene and the water,no mountains no trees only that)
do you think that m&b engine could crash?

atolest said:
25k of polies for a scene prop. is a lot?I can't reduce it anymore and only 2 objects of it will be in the scene(50k poly in all the scene and the water,no mountains no trees only that)
In M&B each glove/hand consists of about 1k tris, now multiply that by number of troops in a scene, then by two.

25k tris is no big deal for a scene prop, unless there's a lot of them in a scene.

Manitas said:
atolest said:
In M&B each glove/hand consists of about 1k tris, now multiply that by number of troops in a scene, then by two.

25k tris is no big deal for a scene prop, unless there's a lot of them in a scene.
yes but I was afraid because I've played pirates! mod and when I enter in a sea battle with the frigate ship(16k poly) the game crashed but if you it's obious that m&b engine is beter now

and I was afraid too beacuse the peloponessian war that crash when you put the battle size larger than 100 because of the too well made armours/shields/helemet they are too hight poly

but separated object is diferent than one object right?because you cann see,a huge forest battlefield with 100 trees,100 armours/helemet/swords/shield.etc you will have a LOT of poly there and I didn't see an object of 500.000polies that run well ingame

atolest said:
but separated object is diferent than one object right?because you cann see,a huge forest battlefield with 100 trees,100 armours/helemet/swords/shield.etc you will have a LOT of poly there and I didn't see an object of 500.000polies that run well ingame
Well, certainly.
Sometimes separated objects are slower, because of engine's overhead to maintain each of them.
Sometimes separated objects are faster, because with proper management and sorting, some of them can be culled/occluded.

You don't see 500.000 poly stuff in games, primarily because that would be a waste in most cases, and AFAIK, lately in some implementations there's a limit to the number of vertices, possibly related to some vert buffers or something (don't know really, I haven't done graphics since Ogl 1.2).
E.g. in Wings, there used to be a limit of 64k vertices.

FrisianDude said:
Is it possible to give troops items with imodbits? :???:

Yes. You have to use troop_add_item in an script called at the beginning of the game, just like how the player is given starting equipment with imods. You can't do it in module_troops.

Oh, thanks. Does that add it as a possibility, like adding an item in the module_troops would, or does that give every soldier of that troop that same equipement? :???:

Good day too you all. To be honest, I'm only interested in minor modding, which consists only from changing textual things like town names, troop names, faction names... I hope that i will grow to like big modding too, but in time.
Now, i have already changed the names of troops, towns, factions and some weapons by simply going into NATIVE folder and modifying textual files (which I backed up before), now, I only want to change the names of the companions, and lords. I didn't see that textual file, so I ask you is there any other way to change lord names?
I thank you in advance.

FrisianDude said:
Oh, thanks. Does that add it as a possibility, like adding an item in the module_troops would, or does that give every soldier of that troop that same equipement? :???:

It is a possibility just like any other thing on the equipment list.

MihailoSRB said:
Now, i have already changed the names of troops, towns, factions and some weapons by simply going into NATIVE folder and modifying textual files (which I backed up before), now, I only want to change the names of the companions, and lords. I didn't see that textual file, so I ask you is there any other way to change lord names?
Companions and lords should be in troops.txt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom