Modding Q&A [For Quick Questions and Answers]

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
pentagathus said:
Where are the effects of skills defined? Seems I can't edit them in module skills.
Hardcoded. You can however add new effects with triggers, checks, etc.

dia151 said:
can villages be assigned manually to specific faction, like towns, with "script_give_center_to_faction_aux" ?
If we're going to share code, this is the perfect spot for me to do it. :razz:
Here's how I tackled this:
It's in an image because the forum's code blocks make my beutifully assigned tabulations look like crap!

zSOdV.png
This I just call from game_start. Each faction has
Code:
slot_fac_[b]*[/b]_start
and
Code:
slot_fac_[b]*[/b]_end
assigned, where * = towns, castles or villages.

BTW, Consolas is a nice font. :smile:
Oh, one more thing. If this looks too complicated, it's meant to be run for 21 factions, 120+ towns, 250 castles and 1100+ villages, so... yeah...

Lumos said:
21 factions, 120+ towns, 250 castles and 1100+ villages, so... yeah...
y u do dis lomus
Please don't say that as if it is a good thing, you may confuse some new modders into aiming to top that. :smile:
Does the map lag.. a lot? Does the AI recalc make the game pause every once in a while? Etc.

Lumos said:
I'll have a competition. Anybody who wants can do scenes, and will of course receive bonuses for that.
But I have to release the mod first.

So, until then, you can go on with "Parallel Universes" theory. Which in, you won't have to deal with scenes.

Belendor said:
How can I go about creating either a text or mesh overlay atop (overhead) of an agent?

MadVader said:
y u do dis lomus
Please don't say that as if it is a good thing, you may confuse some new modders into aiming to top that. :smile:
Does the map lag.. a lot? Does the AI recalc make the game pause every once in a while? Etc.
Nope, it's not a good thing, but I'm a megalomaniac.
Nope, it doesn't lag, because of reasons. (EDIT: Forgot to say: MAGIC!!1!) DO NOT USE THE CTRL+T CHEAT WHILE MOVING.
But the most important lesson I learned was: "Do not, for NO reason, attempt to make moving, dynamic supply caravans from every village to its town, that are supposed to bring resources to towns and to do that every week. Seriously, DON'T."

dolan.

Belendor said:
So, until then, you can go on with "Parallel Universes" theory. Which in, you won't have to deal with scenes.
Yeah, in another universe my mod probably didn't **** up a bazillion times, I was smarter, and already made 2000 scenes. :razz:

Belendor said:
How can I go about creating either a text or mesh overlay atop (overhead) of an agent?
Please check out rubik's Custom Commander - he does healthbars, and I did names above soldiers (like in 1.011) only for rubik to add that (better-looking) to his next release of CC. Anyways, look at CC and the mini_map presentation - it's all there.

Lumos said:
pentagathus said:
Where are the effects of skills defined? Seems I can't edit them in module skills.
Hardcoded. You can however add new effects with triggers, checks, etc.
So there's no simple way of reducing the damage bonus given by powerstrike?
("trade","Trade",sf_base_att_cha|sf_effects_party,10,"Every level of this skill reduces your trade penalty by 5%%. (Party skill)"),
Whats the 10 for here? Is it setting the maximum limit of the skill?

pentagathus said:
So there's no simple way of reducing the damage bonus given by powerstrike?
("trade","Trade",sf_base_att_cha|sf_effects_party,10,"Every level of this skill reduces your trade penalty by 5%%. (Party skill)"),
Whats the 10 for here? Is it setting the maximum limit of the skill?
Precisely.
Code:
####################################################################################################################
#  Each skill contains the following fields:
#  1) Skill id (string): used for referencing skills in other files. The prefix skl_ is automatically added before each skill-id .
#  2) Skill name (string).
#  3) Skill flags (int). See header_skills.py for a list of available flags
#  4) Maximum level of the skill (int).
#  5) Skill description (string): used in character window for explaining the skills.
# 
####################################################################################################################

bisthebis25 said:
I believe that you can make a script for recalculate damages.
Yes, you can make a script to recalculate the damage. That's done using triggers, checks and code though, not with skills. :smile: ((ti_on_agent_hit), to be more specific)

@Lumos 1100+ villages??? Are you trying to equal the insanity of the The Elder Scrolls games in the '90s? And how did you place them? I mean, I placed maybe 20 settlements by now and I'm bored to death. An algorithm that places villages around the map using rivers, lakes and green pastures as attractors with a minimal distance between them, choosing the lower and flatter areas over the higher and more steep ones. Here's a challenge for you :wink:

And, btw, as I said earlier, my Thorgrim's is stuf on returning 3;-7 every time i press Z to get coordinates. It is very frustrating since I have to place the second faction now and I need to pinpoint those places on the map.

Also, what is this MOD announcement ritual of the occult? I mean how developed does your Mod have to be to announce it and what exactly does that do, except put people in awe? :grin:

---

Ok, Thorgrim's returns the coordinates of one of the Training grounds the one, obviously, at 3,-7. If i move that around in the editor the coordinates change. This is really not good.

Dawiduh said:
Ok, Thorgrim's returns the coordinates of one of the Training grounds the one, obviously, at 3,-7. If i move that around in the editor the coordinates change. This is really not good.
Indeed.

About party placement:
Lumos said:
Hypno Toad said:
I'm having an issue, whenever I try to select a town only Halmar or Tulga can be selected. It doesn't matter where I click, it only cycles between those two towns.
I also had this problem, but I found quite an easy workaround for it: First, define all parties you're going to use (you can use my ParMak to do this easily) and place them all on one coordinate. Compile your mod and open up the MapEditor. You will see all of your parties on this one coordinate, looking horrible. Anyways, open up your Notepad++ text editor of choice that you use for your ModuleSystem and dock it on the right side of your screen. If you have AutoHotkey or something similar installed, you can also make the text editor's window to stay always on top for ease of use.
In the MapEditor, go to the position where you want the first of your new parties to be. Pressing Z while in the Editor will show you the mouse's current coordinates on the map, and will copy them on your clipboard. So just pick a position, press Z, click onto your text editor window and replace the first party definition (from the ones you created just a while ago) 's coordinates to the ones you have in your clipboard.
Play some music, rinse and repeat. You'll get into a rhytm soon, and this is actually quite a fun job to do.
Filling up the map for TBS (my mod-in-the-works) required around 2.5 hours (for ~2000 parties on a gigantic map).

Hope this helps!
Plus, you can tweak the map with the Editor while you're at it.

Randomization of the map is certainly a compelling task to do, and I feel my hands itching to write such an algorithm... but I'm neck deep in **** stuff to do, so no. Not now at least, or not me. :smile: I wouldn't have much use of randomization too, because that's not what my purpose is with the mod.

Arena (mostly) & Daggerfall were not insane! They were awesome, and only if they were hand-made and not random, YEAH. The full Tamriel, with all its uniqueness... *sigh*

Dawiduh said:
Also, what is this MOD announcement ritual of the occult? I mean how developed does your Mod have to be to announce it and what exactly does that do, except put people in awe? :grin:
The only rule is that the post must NOT be like "hai guiz, im doin eh very crazy mode, imma do this, dis, this, and that, and me needs 20 experts to halp plox? Oh? Ya asking wht work i hav on t3h mod? well i got sum signatures ready."
NOT like this, and you'll be OK. :lol:
What does it do? Well, nothing actually. You can do like me (make a thread when you think you're 2 months from releasing a mod for 1.011, then three or four two (I thought they were more) years (and one game) later you still don't even have a proper beta out), or do like the chinese people, which have their first post revealing some insane, envy-inspiring mod.
Most people do something in between, I guess. :wink:

Lumos said:
Dawiduh said:
Indeed.

About party placement:
Lumos said:
Hypno Toad said:
I'm having an issue, whenever I try to select a town only Halmar or Tulga can be selected. It doesn't matter where I click, it only cycles between those two towns.
I also had this problem, but I found quite an easy workaround for it: First, define all parties you're going to use (you can use my ParMak to do this easily) and place them all on one coordinate. Compile your mod and open up the MapEditor. You will see all of your parties on this one coordinate, looking horrible. Anyways, open up your Notepad++ text editor of choice that you use for your ModuleSystem and dock it on the right side of your screen. If you have AutoHotkey or something similar installed, you can also make the text editor's window to stay always on top for ease of use.
In the MapEditor, go to the position where you want the first of your new parties to be. Pressing Z while in the Editor will show you the mouse's current coordinates on the map, and will copy them on your clipboard. So just pick a position, press Z, click onto your text editor window and replace the first party definition (from the ones you created just a while ago) 's coordinates to the ones you have in your clipboard.
Play some music, rinse and repeat. You'll get into a rhytm soon, and this is actually quite a fun job to do.
Filling up the map for TBS (my mod-in-the-works) required around 2.5 hours (for ~2000 parties on a gigantic map).

Hope this helps!
Plus, you can tweak the map with the Editor while you're at it.

Randomization of the map is certainly a compelling task to do, and I feel my hands itching to write such an algorithm... but I'm neck deep in **** stuff to do, so no. Not now at least, or not me. :smile: I wouldn't have much use of randomization too, because that's not what my purpose is with the mod.

Arena (mostly) & Daggerfall were not insane! They were awesome, and only if they were hand-made and not random, YEAH. The full Tamriel, with all its uniqueness... *sigh*

Dawiduh said:
The only rule is that the post must NOT be like "hai guiz, im doin eh very crazy mode, imma do this, dis, this, and that, and me needs 20 experts to halp plox? Oh? Ya asking wht work i hav on t3h mod? well i got sum signatures ready."
NOT like this, and you'll be OK. :lol:
What does it do? Well, nothing actually. You can do like me (make a thread when you think you're 2 months from releasing a mod for 1.011, then three or four two (I thought they were more) years (and one game) later you still don't even have a proper beta out), or do like the chinese people, which have their first post revealing some insane, envy-inspiring mod.
Most people do something in between, I guess. :wink:

As I said, the Z does not work, it just returns the coordinate sof the generic Training Ground (the one with pf_disabled in the module_parties.py). I was left to drag the damn Training Grounds around and read out the coordinates. Sad.

So announcing my Mod would just bring me ... not much. Anyways ... I'm not gonna announce it until I have the framework set up. Everyone wants to be a project manager but you need to start from the bottom. Anyway. Today I've learned how to unwrap some model I made and texture it properly for the Mod. Looks good. Goddamn game modelling is so different from architecture modelling, texturing and rendering.

Oh, one more IMPORTANT question. How do I get rid of all those awful green and red patches on the desert texture in the world map? I changed the desert texture with the one in M&B (I'm modding in WB) so the underlying eert texture changed but the upper green&red ugly-ass patches are still there.

Dawiduh said:
As I said, the Z does not work, it just returns the coordinate sof the generic Training Ground (the one with pf_disabled in the module_parties.py). I was left to drag the damn Training Grounds around and read out the coordinates. Sad.
Yes. What happens when you delete the Training Ground?

Dawiduh said:
@Lumos 1100+ villages??? Are you trying to equal the insanity of the The Elder Scrolls games in the '90s? And how did you place them? I mean, I placed maybe 20 settlements by now and I'm bored to death. An algorithm that places villages around the map using rivers, lakes and green pastures as attractors with a minimal distance between them, choosing the lower and flatter areas over the higher and more steep ones. Here's a challenge for you :wink:
For ready code on random placement, see how bandit lairs are placed in Native.
If you don't need randomization, better put up with manual placement, you only need to do this once.
Dawiduh said:
It depends on you. As Lumos said, avoid starting a mod thread with nothing to show, letting yourself exposed to righteous ridicule.
There are two ways of thinking:
- Announce early: get early feedback and involvement with the community. Attention can motivate modders who lack self-motivation or have lost it. Or are in it for the attention. Great for beginners and kids. :smile:
- Announce late and release: if you know exactly what to do and how to do it, this is the best way to release. Announce and preview at least a month before releasing a pretty playable mod version for maximum impact.

In wfas the swedish reiters are on level 21 and they need 4-5 ctr+x clics to advance to the next level 25.

I made a new mercenary unit which starts on level 14, the next level is 30 but they need only 1-2 clicks to advance.
I feel the same when I play, the new mercenaries collect advancements far quicker.

What could be the difference?

Is there a tutorial or anything about how the engine chooses the equipment for different soldiers from the list?
It seems to me there isn't any random thing in it. For example I would like to use some items more often but it doesn't really help if I put more copies on the list.

Give it a guarantee flag and it will have at least one item of the type. The game biases against polearms (or at least agent don't use them as often) and I think the facecode is a seed in the equipment selection process (back in the old days troop face-code used to persist in your party or something along with their loadout).

Lumos said:
Dawiduh said:
Yes. What happens when you delete the Training Ground?

I did delete it in module_parties.py (commented it out) and compiled the whole thing (checked to see if it was gone in partis.txt and it was), copied the parties.txt to my [...]AppBullSh*t/Program FIles/M&B/[...] and the TG was gone. When I pressed Z it still returned its coordinates and when I scrolled around the map and R-clicked it popped right back. Annoying as hell but I managed to get the coordinates I needed.

MadVader said:
Dawiduh said:
For ready code on random placement, see how bandit lairs are placed in Native.
If you don't need randomization, better put up with manual placement, you only need to do this once.
Dawiduh said:
It depends on you. As Lumos said, avoid starting a mod thread with nothing to show, letting yourself exposed to righteous ridicule.
There are two ways of thinking:
- Announce early: get early feedback and involvement with the community. Attention can motivate modders who lack self-motivation or have lost it. Or are in it for the attention. Great for beginners and kids. :smile:
- Announce late and release: if you know exactly what to do and how to do it, this is the best way to release. Announce and preview at least a month before releasing a pretty playable mod version for maximum impact.

Well, I'll go with the second way. It makes more sense for people willing to step in and help something that's already begun and sort-of-working. I still have a lot of work to do until I get there.

PS. any idea about the ground desert texture in Warband? how to change/take out the green-red patch overlay? sorry to keep repeating this question but any screenshot I will take ingame will look like a f*cking salad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom