Modding Q&A [For Quick Questions and Answers]

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blubby

Recruit
Hey everyone.

Does anyone know how to enable crossbows in With Fire and Sword? I tried adding a test crossbow and it is
usable but the load animation and the shoot sound are from the muskets.
Also the problem is that muskets use the crossbow skill which was renamed to firearms.
I would also like to rename it back to crossbows because I have enabled display_firearms in my
module.ini

I noticed that most of the items of Warband are also in With Fire and Sword so I thought it might be relatively
easy to add crossbows into the game but so far I had little success doing so.

 

NPC99

Baron
M&BWBWF&SVC
Blubby said:
Hey everyone.

Does anyone know how to enable crossbows in With Fire and Sword? I tried adding a test crossbow and it is
usable but the load animation and the shoot sound are from the muskets.
Also the problem is that muskets use the crossbow skill which was renamed to firearms.
I would also like to rename it back to crossbows because I have enabled display_firearms in my
module.ini

I noticed that most of the items of Warband are also in With Fire and Sword so I thought it might be relatively
easy to add crossbows into the game but so far I had little success doing so.

Enabling display_firearms in WFaS will not help as all muskets are set up as crossbows, not firearms.
 

Blubby

Recruit
Thank you for your quick reply NPC99.

Is there a way add crossbows to With Fire and Sword or would that be impossible due to
the muskets being setup as crossbows?

Do you know if the proper animations for crossbows are in With Fire and Sword already or would
I have to take them from Warband?.

I looked at the code for crossbows in Warband but could not find a reference for the animations so
that would also be a problem since I do not know how to assign animations to objects.

 

NPC99

Baron
M&BWBWF&SVC
Blubby said:
Thank you for your quick reply NPC99.

Is there a way add crossbows to With Fire and Sword or would that be impossible due to
the muskets being setup as crossbows?

Do you know if the proper animations for crossbows are in With Fire and Sword already or would
I have to take them from Warband?.

I looked at the code for crossbows in Warband but could not find a reference for the animations so
that would also be a problem since I do not know how to assign animations to objects.

Crossbows were sacrificed in WFaS to provide muskets, changing that back would be a major undertaking unless you are happy to sacrifice muskets.
 

kalarhan

Python Saint
Count
WBNWVCWF&S
Blubby said:
I looked at the code for crossbows in Warband but could not find a reference for the animations so
that would also be a problem since I do not know how to assign animations to objects.

F&S uses a older version of the game engine, it stopped in time. And firearms, as NPC99 explained, were implemented with a trick by using the crossbow features.

Warband also has the firearms proper and the NW features available for it. The VC features. The MP features. Etc.

So keep this in mind: you need to check the difference in capabilities between F&S engine and Warband engine.
 

Blubby

Recruit
Thank you for both of your replies NPC99 and kalarhan.

I did not know that it was such a big thing to be honest.
Even more I am supprised to hear that F&S uses an older
engine.

At this point I might reconsider continuing to work with F&S.
The only reason I decided to work with F&S was due to several
features such as crouching,the merc camps and most importantly
the items it already has ingame.

But I appreciate your help so thank you again.
 

kalarhan

Python Saint
Count
WBNWVCWF&S
Blubby said:
At this point I might reconsider continuing to work with F&S.
The only reason I decided to work with F&S was due to several
features such as crouching,the merc camps and most importantly
the items it already has ingame.

Warband itself is quite old (~2010) and the updates from DLC, etc, are nice for sure, but if you want to use another engine-base game for your mod like MBF&S or Carribean! you can of course do that (the standalone games). You can make great games using those standalone as well. Even if MBF&S is behind on some mechanics, the majority of the stuff is there, so no biggy.

If you use the warband.exe just remember you are free to use all the OSP packs, the open source mods, etc, as assets to your project. Want firearms? Cannons? Grenades? New scene props? Check what is available for use. You are not limited to the stuff from the Native module. That is just one of many packages you can make use of. All those mods like Floris, Diplomacy, etc, etc (hundreds of them) are there to help you too.

Same goes for game features (like camps). You can implement them by coding them yourself, or using OSP code (when available).

If this is your first project just keep things simple, as you will learn as you go.
 

Blubby

Recruit
@kalarhan
Thank you for your reply.

I think I should perhaps restart with Warband since most of the
features I wish to have are already there or can be implemented
rather easily.

Also thank you for the information about the OSP packs. As of now I have
not looked much into these packs but that will be extremely useful in future.
 

daniel99

Squire
Hey,
I'm trying to make certain agents not be able to receive damage. I wan't to avoid having to use the "knock_down_only" operations, as I don't want them to receive damage at all. In the past someone suggested the "set_invulnerable_shield" operation, though this doesn't do anything. Does anyone know how this could be achieved?
Thanks,
 

KratosMKII

Squire
Crap. I still didn't find the culprits. I guess it's better to come to that later.

QP43L16.jpg
Why does this happen? The mesh is in the .brf and the latter is loaded in the .ini.
 

NPC99

Baron
M&BWBWF&SVC
KratosMKII said:
Crap. I still didn't find the culprits. I guess it's better to come to that later.

QP43L16.jpg
Why does this happen? The mesh is in the .brf and the latter is loaded in the .ini.

Your module.ini must load the texture brf before the material brf before the mesh brf. Alternatively, you could hold the texture, material and mesh in the same brf file.
 

KratosMKII

Squire
NPC99 said:
KratosMKII said:
Crap. I still didn't find the culprits. I guess it's better to come to that later.

QP43L16.jpg
Why does this happen? The mesh is in the .brf and the latter is loaded in the .ini.

Your module.ini must load the texture brf before the material brf before the mesh brf. Alternatively, you could hold the texture, material and mesh in the same brf file.
That worked. Thanks.
 

Linir

Veteran
Hello, I require some help to make a small change (just for me) on The Last Days mod.
I intend to copy the Rivendell Helmets and replace the lorien helmets with them.
Can someone give me some pointers on what I should do?
Thanks :smile:
 

Ivkolya

Sergeant
WF&SWBNWM&BVC
Hello all, I have couple of questions related to scene making. I've added entry points to my scene in NW, but they don't work as intended - I've set numbers of all first team's entry points to 0 and second team's entry points to 32, but in deathmatch mode both teams spawn on entry points of team 1. After that in testing purposes I've added 32 entry points for each team without changing their numbers (so team 1 has 0-31, team 2 - 32-63), but team 2 still spawns on team 1's entry points, and in battle mode both teams spawn just in the field, not on entry points.

So my question is - how many entry points should I add to the scene and is there a limit for them?
And another question - how to disable cavalry on the scene completely (so bots will spawn as infantry units)? I guess it should be somewhere in module files, but I can't find where.


UPD I found out that scene I've changed, had flag "sf_auto_entry_points", but even after deleting it in team deathmatch mode some units spawn outside of my new entry points, and also I've noticed that not all entry points are used, but in the same time some of units spawn in the same entry point simultaneously.
 
Hey guys,

So I've been working on a mod for Warband for a few months now, and I've managed to learn a lot. Right now, though, I feel completely in over my head.

The mod I've been working on is multiplayer, but I've up until recently only been running it on my one machine. The mod I'm working on is supposed to be a Warband Captain Mode mod, like the planned game mode in Bannerlord. Everything was working fine and there were very few bugs. Then I borrowed my friend's Steam account and logged into it on my other computer in order to test out the mod with multiple people playing at once. I was expecting there to be some issues with server and client events not syncing, but nothing that I couldn't handle. As soon as I joined the server with my friend's account, everything flew out the window. There are so many bugs, and I have no idea why they are happening. Some of the bugs include:

-Client players spawning with no helmets, boots, or weapons.
-Client machines showing everyone as being teammates, even though they are not (bots will still attack enemies, but it displays kills as friendly fire in the message log).
-My custom presentations not working for either client or host.

If anyone wants to look at any specific part of my code, I'll share it. It's just that the problems seem so far reaching that I don't even know which pieces of code are relevant. I have no ideas what's causing this, and I have no idea how to even go about trying to figure out the causes. Any help would be appreciated.
 

Ivkolya

Sergeant
WF&SWBNWM&BVC
Linir said:
Hello, I require some help to make a small change (just for me) on The Last Days mod.
I intend to copy the Rivendell Helmets and replace the lorien helmets with them.
Can someone give me some pointers on what I should do?
Thanks :smile:

Just download OpenBRF, find Rivendell helmets meshes in .brf files (in Resoure folder), copy them, open another window of OpenBRF, find Lorien helmets in .brf files (they can even be in the same file), paste copied Rivendell helmets meshes over Lorien helmets, give them names of Lorien helmets, delete old Lorien helmets (or rename them so game won't use them)
 

NPC99

Baron
M&BWBWF&SVC
Cozur said:
I've tried to edit the ground_specs file, but nothing changes in-game.

Is this normal?

Build_module.bat doesn’t comple module_data files, which were released after the module_system. You can just double click the ground_specs.py file and copy the resulting compiled txt file to your data folder:

La Grandmaster said:
You can download the .py files for flora kinds, skyboxes and ground specs somewhere. They are either compiled simply by double clicking them or with a batch file. I will have a look for a download link, cant find one atm

EDIT: They are in the normal module system download, in the module_data folder. Copy and paste them into your modules data folder but I would create a back up first. If you are using polished landscapes or anything else which adds new flora you will need to get the specific flora kinds.py files for it, or it would probably be possible just to edit the existing flora_kinds.txt file but I have no idea how to do that


Ivkolya said:
Hello all, I have couple of questions related to scene making. I've added entry points to my scene in NW, but they don't work as intended - I've set numbers of all first team's entry points to 0 and second team's entry points to 32, but in deathmatch mode both teams spawn on entry points of team 1. After that in testing purposes I've added 32 entry points for each team without changing their numbers (so team 1 has 0-31, team 2 - 32-63), but team 2 still spawns on team 1's entry points, and in battle mode both teams spawn just in the field, not on entry points.

So my question is - how many entry points should I add to the scene and is there a limit for them?
And another question - how to disable cavalry on the scene completely (so bots will spawn as infantry units)? I guess it should be somewhere in module files, but I can't find where.


UPD I found out that scene I've changed, had flag "sf_auto_entry_points", but even after deleting it in team deathmatch mode some units spawn outside of my new entry points, and also I've noticed that not all entry points are used, but in the same time some of units spawn in the same entry point simultaneously.

For Deathmatch:
You have to place entry points  0 - 64 so that people won't spawn on random places.

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,89831.0.html
 

Linir

Veteran
Ivkolya said:
Linir said:
Hello, I require some help to make a small change (just for me) on The Last Days mod.
I intend to copy the Rivendell Helmets and replace the lorien helmets with them.
Can someone give me some pointers on what I should do?
Thanks :smile:

Just download OpenBRF, find Rivendell helmets meshes in .brf files (in Resoure folder), copy them, open another window of OpenBRF, find Lorien helmets in .brf files (they can even be in the same file), paste copied Rivendell helmets meshes over Lorien helmets, give them names of Lorien helmets, delete old Lorien helmets (or rename them so game won't use them)

I downloaded troop editor and replaced the troops equipment.
But I like your idea aswell! Thanks!
 

Ivkolya

Sergeant
WF&SWBNWM&BVC
NPC99 said:
For Deathmatch:
You have to place entry points  0 - 64 so that people won't spawn on random places.

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,89831.0.html

Thank you, I saw that tutorial and figured out that it is normal for deathmatch and team deathmatch, but I still don't understand why in battle mode both teams spawn not at the entry points. Depending on how I place entry points either one team spawns outside of entry points either both teams spawn where they want (what is strange - one of teams always spawns at the same place all the time, but there are no entry points in that place)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom