Modding Q&A [For Quick Questions and Answers]

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leonion said:
I just noticed that speculars (or any black/grey areas) are not entirely black.
Zooming in shows that there are green and pink areas.
3RxCdes.jpg
And sometimes even zooming in is not necessary. After saving a nice grey&black texture becomes some green&pink trash.
3RxzUse.jpg

3RxzPEz.jpg
What's funnier in this example is that diffuse that has much more shades
3RxAuvG.jpg
is fine. But blurring&darkening it (which kinda should make it easier for the computer to process it) suddenly fawkes things up.

With GIMP which I mostly use the effect is more pronounced but Photoshop does it too.
Why is this happening and is there a way to avoid it?
I took a look at different OSP textures and they have green/pink areas too, but the one above I'm working on became a real problem. The effect is too pronounced when I make it darker (it's not that there is a problem in the game, its lighting is terrible in any case, it's just now I can't get it out of my head).

In GIMP you could try Image>Mode>Grayscale to get rid of any colours from your specular.

NPC99 said:
In GIMP you could try Image>Mode>Grayscale to get rid of any colours from your specular.
Nah, those things don't work. GIMP (and, as I mentioned, Photoshop too) creates colored areas when it saves the file as .dds (if I reopen it as a new file and just compare the one I was working on and the product of saving, it becomes clear), so no regular b/w filtering before saving solves this.

Leonion said:
NPC99 said:
Nah, those things don't work. GIMP (and, as I mentioned, Photoshop too) creates colored areas when it saves the file as .dds (if I reopen it as a new file and just compare the one I was working on and the product of saving, it becomes clear), so no regular b/w filtering before saving solves this.

Try saving the grayscale as a JPEG file and using ConvIm to convert it to DDS. It only converts to a DXT1 but that should be fine for a specular.

http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/convim.htm

NPC99 said:
Try saving the grayscale as a JPEG file and using ConvIm to convert it to DDS. It only converts to a DXT1 but that should be fine for a specular.
A program that uses a .ddl pack from late 90s - early 00s? Oh, I'll try it on my virtual XP. :smile:
Interesting, it doesn't create colored areas. But it blurs the image:
3RxOVMP.jpg

Leonion said:
NPC99 said:
A program that uses a .ddl pack from late 90s - early 00s? Oh, I'll try it on my virtual XP. :smile:
Interesting, it doesn't create colored areas. But it blurs the image:
3RxOVMP.jpg

Really? I suspect the grayscale conversion may have blurred the image. Maybe the grayscale needs to be darkened before using ConvIm, but I'm just guessing.

I have yet another question

I have seen some mods use the same arabic/middle easter armors but I cannot find the OSP for it. I'm assuming it's an OSP since so many mods use them. Anyone know where it is?

The Easy nine said:
I have yet another question

I have seen some mods use the same arabic/middle easter armors but I cannot find the OSP for it. I'm assuming it's an OSP since so many mods use them. Anyone know where it is?
It may be the Crusaders: Way to Expiation (or CWE for short) osp. It was a nice mod about crusades that ended up going OSP. Here, I will even give you the link for the pack: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=337081.0

Looking for a lil guidance, on how to write a script that loops until a certain parameter, or variable is met. Specifically, I'm trying to write a script that creates a player party with troops up to a certain number, say an "ideal" size, like in the create lord party scripts. Any help is appreciated. And again, not looking for a written script just some direction, advice, hints... but if you did happen to have a loop script, that would be nice.

Iron Sight said:
Looking for a lil guidance, on how to write a script that loops until a certain parameter, or variable is met

Code:
(assign, ":end_loop", 9999),
(try_for_range, ":var", 0, ":end_loop"),
   # something happens
    (assign, ":end_loop", -1),
(try_end),

that is how you break out of a loop

kalarhan said:
Iron Sight said:
Looking for a lil guidance, on how to write a script that loops until a certain parameter, or variable is met

Code:
(assign, ":end_loop", 9999),
(try_for_range, ":var", 0, ":end_loop"),
   # something happens
    (assign, ":end_loop", -1),
(try_end),

that is how you break out of a loop

Dang you're quick. I had literally just figured it out and was on my way to delete my hasty request. Thanks.

JhonBrazil said:
It may be the Crusaders: Way to Expiation (or CWE for short) osp. It was a nice mod about crusades that ended up going OSP. Here, I will even give you the link for the pack: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=337081.0

Ah yes that's the one. I don't know how I missed it. Thanks

Is there a way to attach/rig a scene prop to a specific bone of an agent? AFAIK agent_set_attached_scene_prop just attaches it to the center of the agent.

(can use WSE if necessary)

Can anybody provide me a link to a tutorial which tells all about water in scenemaking

How does random scene depend on global map place ?

Can i make from hardcoded factions full factions with its lords without castles towns villages and make them walking through the Calradia and make/declare pieces/wars with other kingdoms, attack and siege castles and towns ?

KnightV said:

it doesn't. Your code makes the connection (selects the scene, which has the terrain+border), which can be one of the random scenes. Back track your code and see how it is doing the selection of mission template, scene, etc, and change to whatever you want.

Native, as a example, uses the terrain (global map) where your party is. Other modules can use distance from locations (like the sea or bridges), etc. Up to you.

KnightV said:
Can i make from hardcoded factions full factions
see modules/OSP for invasion factions. You will need to change how the game decides if a faction was destroyed or not, how it selects a military target, and how it does diplomacy. Again, all done on the modsys, so not a issue with hardcoded rules.

kraggrim said:
Is there a way to attach/rig a scene prop to a specific bone of an agent? AFAIK agent_set_attached_scene_prop just attaches it to the center of the agent.

Could you not just use the mesh of the scene-prop also for an item and move the scene-prop out of sight and replace it with the item, which you can mount on any bone?

kalarhan said:
KnightV said:

it doesn't. Your code makes the connection (selects the scene, which has the terrain+border), which can be one of the random scenes. Back track your code and see how it is doing the selection of mission template, scene, etc, and change to whatever you want.

Native, as a example, uses the terrain (global map) where your party is. Other modules can use distance from locations (like the sea or bridges), etc. Up to you.

KnightV said:
Can i make from hardcoded factions full factions
see modules/OSP for invasion factions. You will need to change how the game decides if a faction was destroyed or not, how it selects a military target, and how it does diplomacy. Again, all done on the modsys, so not a issue with hardcoded rules.

What do you think of creating a double faction , for exampe, bandits, but with different id? But i have some doubts about balance and how it will look like in game , when you have relationship with hardcoded bandits -10 and you are vassal of bandits (of course, two different factions but with same name

KnightV said:
What do you think of creating a double faction , for exampe, bandits, but with different id? But i have some doubts about balance and how it will look like in game , when you have relationship with hardcoded bandits -10 and you are vassal of bandits (of course, two different factions but with same name

there is no hardcoded rule here, even the relation between player and bandits, so you can do whatever makes sense to your mod. Just keep in mind that changing AI behaviour and base factions requires a lot of small changes on Native code, so you will need to do those changes.

KnightV said:
As kalarhan said, there are no hardcoded factions. You can change all factions, their starting relations with other factions including the player and their behaviour in module_factions.py. Kingdoms are defined via a range, that is a list of factions between two specified factions, which in turn are defined in module_constants.py. Search for kingdoms_begin in your module files (use notepad++ to search easily the whole directory). Using this method you will find all important dialogs, scripts and so on which are related to specific kingdom behaviour and options.

If you want to see how to code a bandit faction you might want to look into these threads:
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,231383.0.html
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,186488.0.html
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,271951.0.html

DerGreif said:
kraggrim said:

Could you not just use the mesh of the scene-prop also for an item and move the scene-prop out of sight and replace it with the item, which you can mount on any bone?
Apparently this would require more complex coding, attaching the scene prop could have maybe been a simpler work around. But looks like we may just have to go for it. Thanks.

So i tried to Modmerge the Formations and Ai mod to my module sys. When I did it on native it worked, but when I tried to do it on the Diplomacy base it didn't, and I got a lot of errors. Does this mean I'll have to manually install it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom