Modding Q&A [For Quick Questions and Answers]

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bustah said:
Thanks heaps! Would you also happen to know where to change the speed penalty for when a horse hits a player? Like make it such that the horse doesn't come nearly to a stop every time it hits a player? Cavalry charges are currently worthless.

I think they increased the mass of soldiers or decreased the mass of horses. And they increased the speed reduction from hill slopes too. But no idea how to change it. You can increase horse charge value but I suppose you already did it

Hi all, was wondering about the below, however I asked in the wrong thread (VC Q&A Thread)

Khamukkamu said:
Was studying the VC module_troops.py for inspiration re: troop balancing (as I've been recently contemplating it), and found that all the lords have the same stats: lord_attrib,wp(380),knows_lord_1,

I am wondering what the reasoning behind this is. I like the idea, and I think it makes sense. However, I'd like to know if there was any other reason other than consistency, if any VC dev could reply :smile:

Thanks in advance.

Khamukkamu said:
lol strike 2! Thanks!

:lol:

anyway one of the dev that worked on the DLC replied

JuJu70 said:
I did the faction troop balancing (they all had the similar proficiency initially, just like lords) including equipment. I wanted to randomize lord attributes too, but that was a minor thing and eventually went on a back-burner since there were more important things to do. So there is no reason for them to have the same attributes, they were just copy-pasted

kalarhan said:
anyway one of the dev that worked on the DLC replied
JuJu70 said:
I did the faction troop balancing (they all had the similar proficiency initially, just like lords) including equipment. I wanted to randomize lord attributes too, but that was a minor thing and eventually went on a back-burner since there were more important things to do. So there is no reason for them to have the same attributes, they were just copy-pasted
Time saving, as I suspected.
Well, perhaps they were right. I spent a lot of time creating unique lords for Perisno, manually setting all characteristics for all of them, making some of them quick pathfinders, others - charismatic profiteers (high trade, looting, persuasion - they increase lords' income in Perisno), leaders, tacticians, warriors&trainers etc., giving many of them unique templates or troops, but no-one ever commented on skills, and only a couple of very special lords were discussed by players 2 or 3 times, so I guess it doesn't really matter.
Crazy perfectionists like me should not be allowed to work with mods. :smile: As I player I never noticed how ugly many items were, how ridiculous the distribution of banners was, how many soldiers had the same generic skills sets. I played Perisno 0.6 and PoP 3.6 and I thought they looked awesome, but now when I see those textures, I want to rip my eyes out.
As developer I just can't ignore these things. It's a goddamn crossbowman, he can't have PD&PT&PS as high as those of a high-level swordsman, he was never trained for this. And why does this pikeman have 7 in horse archery? AAAARGH..
Or party icons. I'm trying to tell myself that they're tiny on the map, and it's fine that they have low-res textures and crude meshes, but seeing them in openbrf and editing them is paaain.

Leonion said:
Time saving, as I suspected

well when you are working on a mod you are only answering to yourself.

now if you are hired (paid $$$) to work on a project and you have a deadline, then you need to cut corners/prioritize stuff. 1000 things to do, 80 hours to go, start!

kalarhan said:
Leonion said:
Time saving, as I suspected

well when you are working on a mod you are only answering to yourself.

now if you are hired (paid $$$) to work on a project and you have a deadline, then you need to cut corners/prioritize stuff. 1000 things to do, 80 hours to go, start!
And 8 different people trying to tell you what your priority should be.  :razz:

I think it's normal in modding to start out trying to make a mod for you to play, then making a mod for the fans, and finally making a mod just so you can spend the rest of your life perfecting it. Painters eventually run out of canvas, coding holds no such limitation: how could a piece ever be finished?

Khamu is in a bit of a different position however Leonion, don't forget the fervor of Tolkien nerds. If any lord has a single misplaced stat I doubt they'd ever hear the end of it.  :lol:

Ruthven said:
If any lord has a single misplaced stat I doubt they'd ever hear the end of it.  :lol:

override the call to the character screen and open your own custom presentation instead

on your presentation display the character portrait, banner, territory, wealth, army stats, .... but ... and that is the secret... no char stats (STR, AGI, skills, profiencies, ...)

problem solved  :mrgreen:

lol :grin: Thanks for all the responses!

@Ruthven, you are quite right!  But I'm sure it is not only true for TLD :smile: The first thing I ever coded into TLD was the Troop Tree presentation by Rubik, before I read the Dev forums, where the previous devs discussed how they DIDNT WANT such a tool :grin: After a while, we are getting the min/maxers commenting on every single troop: "why does the the Rivendell Royal Infantry have X, Y, Z... etc...."  Maybe because it is convenient, or a copy+paste error, or simply, we / previous devs did not see it as an issue. Well... sometimes there is no reason!

Anyways, the good thing about that is that we are able to notice certain inconsistencies about the troops, allowing us to change these. Doesn't mean we are gonna go through each and every troop and tweak it, though. Like every other modder here, we do this in our (very limited) spare time .

Maybe that is why I prefer the VC troop tree viewer more, cause it doesn't show everything... sort of similar to what kalarhan suggested

@Leonion, you've been quite helpful in the other thread about troop balancing, thanks :smile: Yea, I think someone whose only job is to go through each and every lord / troop and change the stats is needed, because if I did it myself, I'll not get anything else done for a long time :grin: Right now, in TLD, InVain has been masterfully doing this for some troops, but he is also our campaign balancer, our scener, and game / quest designer!

Khamukkamu said:
troop and change the stats

there is also the question of actual gameplay effect on stats. Depending on the mod and how you adjusted things like armor rating, weapons damage, special triggers, etc, a small difference in skills and/or stats has no effect at all on combat (or on auto-battles).

a way to figure this out is to create a reproducible battle scenario, put the same army composition against each other, and let they do quick battles a few times (logging the results), to see if the changes affect the end results or not.

that was done while testing some troops for VC, as a example, when on RE beta. To bring troops like missile units to their intended strength ratio.

of course the final result is still based on the design/vision of the developer (what he thinks it should be). Which will still be open to min/max player's comments  :mrgreen:

Hi I am wondering if there is any way to make one party invisible to another.

Edit: not necessarily the player party. Yes I now there is the ignore thing, I am asking for one party to be invisible to another, but not necessarily to everyone else.

Bustah said:
Hi I am wondering if there is any way to make one party invisible to another.

Code:
  # Note to modders: Uncomment these if you'd like to use the following.
  ##  #script_game_check_party_sees_party
  ##  # This script is called from the game engine when a party is inside the range of another party
  ##  # INPUT: arg1 = party_no_seer, arg2 = party_no_seen
  ##  # OUTPUT: trigger_result = true or false (1 = true, 0 = false)
  ##  ("game_check_party_sees_party",
  ##   [
  ##     (store_script_param, ":party_no_seer", 1), #party
  ##     (store_script_param, ":party_no_seen", 2), #target
  ##
  ##     (set_trigger_result, 1),
  ##    ]),

Why am I getting a TypeError: %d a number is required not a str?

Code:
#scouting begin
	#scouting script to add implement new scouting mechanics and skills
	("scouting",
	[
	  (store_script_param, ":party", 1),
	  (party_get_skill_level, ":scouting", ":party", skl_scouting),
	  (party_get_num_companions, ":party_size", ":party"),
	  (assign, ":scout_range", 2),
	  (val_div, ":party_size", 50),
	  (val_add, ":scout_range", ":scouting"),
	  (try_for_parties,":target_party"),
	    (this_or_next|party_slot_eq, ":target_party", slot_party_type, spt_kingdom_hero_party),
		(this_or_next|party_slot_eq, ":target_party", slot_party_type, spt_village),
		(this_or_next|party_slot_eq, ":target_party", slot_party_type, spt_castle),
					 (party_slot_eq, ":target_party", slot_party_type, spt_town),
        (store_distance_to_party_from_party, ":distance", ":target_party", ":party"),
		(try_begin),
		  (le, ":distance", ":scout_range"),
		  (store_faction_of_party, ":faction", ":party"),
		  (store_faction_of_party, ":target_faction", ":target_party"),
		  (store_relation, ":relation", ":faction", ":target_faction"),
		  (try_begin),
		    (gt, ":relation", 0),
			("game_check_party_sees_party", ":party", ":target_party", 1),
		  (else_try),
		    (assign, ":spot_chance", 5),
			(party_get_skill_level, ":target_cunning", ":target_party", skl_cunning),
			(val_add, ":spot_chance", ":target_cunning"),
			(party_get_num_companions, ":target_party_size", ":target_party"),
			(val_div, ":target_party_size", 75),
			(val_add, ":spot_chance", ":target_party_size"),
			(try_for_range, ":curr_try", 0, ":scouting"),
		      (store_random_in_range, ":rand", 0, ":spot_chance"),
			  (eq, ":rand", 0),
			  (call_script, "game_check_party_sees_party", ":party", ":target_party", 1),
			(else_try),
			  (call_script, "game_check_party_sees_party", ":party", ":target_party", 0),
			(try_end),
		  (try_end),
		(else_try),
		  (call_script, "game_check_party_sees_party", ":party", ":target_party", 0),
		(try_end),
	  (try_end),
	]),

Bustah said:
Why am I getting a TypeError: %d a number is required not a str?

syntax error (you mistype something or just broke a syntax rule by putting a number where it should be a string "stringhere")

Code:
("game_check_party_sees_party", ":party", ":target_party", 1),

review how you are suppose to use a call_script operation (few errors there)

also your try_for_range is off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom