Modding Q&A [For Quick Questions and Answers]

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're specified in a couple of global variables. You'll find them easily if you dig around a bit in the town menus.

ex_ottoyuhr said:
Incidentally, I'm not sure if I'm not supposed to ask it, but when do you envision the next OMS coming out? And will it be with .800 or whatever M&B version comes next, or independently?
If it follows the way of previous versions, the next version of the official module system will likely be released shortly (a week or so) after the new version of M&B, to be used with it.

I couldn't find a way to create a player undead character.

I have searched the frums for nearly 3 hours and could not find an exact answer.

My module_game_menus entry

("start_undead",[],"Undead",
       [
           (troop_set_type,0,2),
           (assign,"$character_gender",0),
           (troop_raise_attribute, "trp_player",ca_strength,1),
           (troop_raise_attribute, "trp_player",ca_charisma,1),
           (jump_to_menu,"mnu_start_game_2")
        ]
      ), 

When I start a new game I choose undead and distribute my skill points.When the face generator screen comes I get an error and M&B closes.

The entries in my module_skin is like this

(
    "undead", 0,
    "undead_body", "undead_calf_l", "undead_handL",
    "undead_head", undead_face_keys,
    [],
    [],
    [],
    [],
    [("undeadface_a",0xffffffff,[]),
     ("undeadface_b",0xffcaffc0,[]),
     ], #undead_face_textures
    [], #voice sounds
  ),

and the entry in face_gen is like this

undead_face_keys = []
undead_hair_meshes = []
undead_face_textures =  [("undeadface_a.dds",0xffffffff),("undeadface_b.dds",0xffcaffc0)]

(
    "undead", 0,
    "undead_body", "trousers_hide_a", "undead_calf_l", "undead_handL",
    [],
    undead_hair_meshes,
    undead_face_textures,
    [],
    [],
),

Diabelica said:
and the entry in face_gen is like this

undead_face_keys = []
undead_hair_meshes = []
undead_face_textures =  [("undeadface_a.dds",0xffffffff),("undeadface_b.dds",0xffcaffc0)]

(
    "undead", 0,
    "undead_body", "trousers_hide_a", "undead_calf_l", "undead_handL",
    [],
    undead_hair_meshes,
    undead_face_textures,
    [],
    [],
),

Hmm what do you mean by face_gen?  As far as I remember, you only need to add to module_skins.  The menu and skin entrys look ok to me though...

What error do you get?

When I tested it, I just cloned all the keys from male face, for undead face... it may need the last post-edit key, though I'm not sure about that.

This is going to sound very stupid. But where is the documentation for the ingame editor? I have done a search or ten but there are too many unrelated uses of the word to find anything.

Specifically:

How does one create a whole new scene from scratch. Inside and outside scenes. Changing them. Not just renaming another town and putting it in a new location, but editing the scenes completely (making buildings, choosing textures, etc.) For some reason I cannot seem to find this mentioned anywhere.

Thanks.

Edit: Hmm. After further looking around it seems that I might be confused in thinking you can create scenes in the ingame editor? How does one do this if not with that?

you can indeed create scenes in the in game editor. Make sure you've enabled the editor in the configuration, then load it up either windowed, or press alt-enter once in game to get it windowed. enter a scene (salt mine for example). press ctrl-e to bring up the editor (your game must be running in a window - not full screen).

Once in the editor, its pretty intuitive what to do. Select from any scene props, press the button to add them to the scene, and position them using G and drag to move, T and drag to move vertically, x y c and z and drag to rotate. You can also add entry points, and the player will spawn at entry point 0.

Editing the scene props is another matter. To actually change the look of the buildings, their textures etc will all have to be done externally. But you can make some quite good scenes just from the extensive scene props already in the game.

Hope I helped.

Question of my own: How can I apply a lighting effect to my models? For example, the torch scene prop, apart from the particle effect of the fire, it also throws a static light on its surroundings. How can I get a model I create to do this? I assume it would be done in BRFeditor, I just can't be bothered fiddling around :smile:

It's in module_scene_props.py.

The command is add_point_light. The light can be an arbitrary colour. Take a look at the torch object:

("torch",0,"torch_a","0",
   [
   (ti_on_init_scene_prop,
    [
        (set_current_color,600,510,400), #yellowish light
        (set_position_delta,0,-35,56), # position of the top of the torch
        (add_point_light), # define lightsource.

(particle_system_add_new, "psys_torch_fire"),
        (particle_system_emit, "psys_torch_fire", -1), #emit indefinitely
        (set_position_delta,0,-35,56),
        (particle_system_add_new, "psys_torch_smoke"),
        (particle_system_emit, "psys_torch_smoke", -1), #emit indefinitely
    ]),
   ]),

One note: M&B is severely limited in terms of number of static lightsources. On my computer it topped out at about 10, the 11th lightsource cast no light at all. You may get more depending on your exact hardware configuration.

Can anyone tell me what an in-game message of unmatched else_try means?

At a guess, I'd say that it was either an else_try that does not have a) a try_end, or b) a try_begin, or an else_try that should cause something to happen but that thing is impossible, eg

else_try if trp_mr_blobby has item itm_pink_dildo,
hit trp_mrs_blobby with itm_pink_dildo

but one or more of these things don't exist, say there is no pink dildo.

Am I right or completely wrong?

by b) do you mean an else_try without a try_begin, or the pink dildo thingie?

EDIT: Well, now I'm getting the get_item failed message as I start the game, not before, and I think I know why. Despite having the .dds file in both the main textures folder and the module textures folder and trying the .brf with both (I remembered to change module_info, don't worry), the .brf refuses to pick up the .dds file, even though it's there. All I get is a white rectangle in the view screen. I've checked the.dds files themselves, and they're fine, and will open for viewing nicely in irfanview. However, they just don't get picked up by the .brfs.

Have you created a material for the texture to be applied to?

the model reads a material, the material reads the texture.

(at least thats how I think it works)

Hi all, this is my first post.

I'm starting to play with the editing tools and learning the basics on modding this awesome game. I haven't yet clearly decided what sort of mod would I try but I've starting to learn the basics about this (thanks to all the editing tool and tutorial makers).

As a computer programmer I find the scripting, dialogue, triggers, etc. more or less easy things. But I'm not good with 3D modelling and I find hard to understand some things about how to use different models for troops (to make non-humanoid troops, mounts or monsters, etc.) so I have spent the whole day investigating about that. Searching the forum and the mods other people have done, I've learned that at the moment we can only have two skeletons with its associated moves and the hit boxes, so we are very limited on what we can do right now... but I even can't make a troop type just to have a new head model. I just don't know how to add new heads (a bull head to make a minotaur, just to name an example).  I would also like to make new bodies (same height that normal ones, but a bit more muscled, knowing that these new bodies will need new and more ample armours and clothes...). The most close thing I've seen has been to make items looking like the body part needed and then make that troop to "wear" them so they look like a different body.

Can someone explain here if there is another method to change body models?

Thanks in advance.

to make a new body you can simply replace the man_body (it must be a .smd file) from body_meshes.brf, if you want to make a monsterhead that is not a helmet you can replace the undead gender and use them as monsters (in vanilla undeads aren't used), TLD used more than three genders, but I don't know how they've done that

check out module_skins.py That contains all of your entries for new races - defining body types, heads etcs.

Yoshiboy said:
check out module_skins.py That contains all of your entries for new races - defining body types, heads etcs.

Thanks a lot to Highlander and Yoshiboy for the quick response.

I thought that I could just use the Effidian editor to change such things and could keep away from installing python and use the module system... but I haven't found any way to edit the skins.txt archive with the Effidian nice tool (and editing it with notepad seems a bit hard). So it seems that I finally will have to install python and play a bit with the module_skins.py... any advide out there with the structure of that module?

Um, it should be pretty straight forward. If i was to run you through it i would be largely repeating what is already there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom