Modding Q&A [For Quick Questions and Answers]

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
AelleCyning said:
Lumos said:
I sincerely doubt that a tactical genius wouldn't have understood my "here is how to use this, do the absolute same thing, but replace this word with that word" statement. I understand it, at the very least.

Took you a long time to write this comment and the other when you could have written the code.
And you can insult my intelligence all you want, I don't give a ****. You're really quite unpleasant, and I don't understand why you help here if all you do is whine about "noobs" and post unhelpful "advice", or rather, puzzles.

:???:

Lumos has written the most helpful noob guide on the entire site. The modding community would probably be dead by now (or more dead than it already is) if it wasn't for that guide.

Regardless, the reason nobody's just handing straight answers to you is because you don't learn from them. This is stuff most people learned on their own, or via tutorials and reading threads. If you don't want to accept help except in a very specific and unconstructive form, then I don't know what to say to you.

AelleCyning said:
Took you a long time to write this comment and the other when you could have written the code.
And you can insult my intelligence all you want, I don't give a ****. You're really quite unpleasant, and I don't understand why you help here if all you do is whine about "noobs" and post unhelpful "advice", or rather, puzzles.
:lol: Perhaps, in a fictional universe where you didn't ask for everything to be chewed, spat out, and presented to you on a silver platter, and where you read what people told you, you wouldn't find me unpleasant. Try taking a look from my point of view. I've been around since 2008, and I've spent pretty much all of this time in this very section. I've seen the sort of "recruit" that heeds no advice, keeps asking questions about the simplest of things instead of going through the documentation/tutorials/previous answers. People of that sort usually serve no purpose in the community except forcing people like me to repeat themselves on multiple occasions, diluting the already-diluted pool of information even more. Those people, in case English wasn't their native language, would probably do nothing to improve their skills, and expect their dreadful grasp of the language to be excused solely because they're not native speakers.
I'm not saying you're one of those people, because I don't know you, but I can't deny that you're drifting closer to that end of the spectrum rather than the other one.
There's plenty of examples here of recruits who are (or were) on the completely opposite end; and of veterans who were here before me and know modding better than me. And who're usually too polite (a characteristic those first people usually lack) to comment on anything.

Instead of taking jabs at me for being "unpleasant" and for forcing you to think, try doing that instead. Show some respect and gratitude for those more experienced, especially when they use their precious time to aid you; fall silent for a second, search thoroughly and dig through ancient threads before giving up and saying there's no information anywhere.

In our particular case, the documentation link that Kalarhan gave you explicitly featured an example that used the utf-8 encoding in the same way you needed to, and I found that example in less than twenty seconds of skimming through the top of the file. You can't really blame us for not giving you your answers; and you most definitely can't blame me for asking you to replace a word with another word (especially when we're talking about a sentence in the shape of "REPLACE THIS: default_value").

It's important to also note how I'm telling you this: calmly, solemnly, feeling a little amused. Nothing else. I feel absolutely no desire to "insult [your] intelligence"; and your claims that my advice is unhelpful are false, as every single (wo)man here, of those who've known me even in passing, will tell you. As for the "whining"... I see you can be funny, and I appreciate that. :smile:
You have brought this on yourself, one could say... But instead of getting offended or outraged or whatever compelled you to write that last post of yours, I would urge you to think about it. Let's leave this nonsense behind us! The only important thing in life is to be a better (wo)man than you were yesterday, you know. :wink:
Alternatively, feel free to insult me and tarnish your image even further. I'm sure you love presenting yourself as an ungrateful brat.

Oh, wait, you actually edited the post whilst I was writing this, digging yourself into the hole even further. I guess that writing posts like mine takes a long time.
AelleCyning said:
5 lines of whining, without saying "replace", just stating a "desired encoding". Not how to implement the encoding.
And to answer your question:
Lumos said:
Just look at some of the ModSys files. They've got an explicitly declared "
Code:
# -*- coding: cp1254 -*-
" right at the top.
And
Lumos said:
write "
Code:
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
" at the top of the file
You're welcome!

Now you seem to have edited it back. I'll imagine you never said it. :wink:
Again, just to be even more explicit: I've got nothing ill against you, and I most likely never will.* Remember, I'm here to help, of my own volition. As is everyone else.

* A curious side note is that everyone who has "taken up arms" against me, two people in total over the years, has ended up perma-banned. Please, don't join their ranks. You're better than that.

2 new replies
No further comment needed.

Honestly I value Aelle's contributions to my amusement way more than anything Lumos has done.  :lol: Except for that last post... God damn that was a satisfying read.

Aelle, don't be afraid to make mistakes. If a code doesn't work you can just change it back. But you have to try things. If you see "coding cp1254" and want to use "coding utf-8" I have absolutely 0 idea how it wouldn't occur to you on your own to just ****ing try writing utf-8 and see what happens. Funnily enough I don't think your ridiculously ambitious mod is going to die, simply because you're too ****ing stubborn to ever stop. If there is an apocalypse that destroys all technology I can't honestly imagine that putting a single doubt in your mind that your goal will be achieved. Just stop being a ****wit and you'll probably do very very well here. If you do learn how to mod though, and you one day find yourself in Lumos' shoes, for the love of God don't try helping new recruits. The bannerlord modding community would suffer for it, I'm sure.

addendum: If you start paying us you can complain legitimately about our tone all you want  :smile:

AelleCyning said:
I didn't edit anything back. A mod can confirm that.

Your post has only proven your deceit even more.
In that case - sorry. I guess I looked back using an un-refreshed tab. We all make mistakes sometimes, which is why I'm sad to see you've once again decided not to listen. "Deceit"? :lol:

Should you wish to continue with your misguided assault against me, I invite you to send me a PM. Enough public space has been wasted with content that is both off-topic, and completely useless for everyone.

Does anyone have any idea why some plants won't light on some people's computers? I can't get it to happen on any of my computers, but it seems to happen to a lot of people.

badlighting.jpg

In that screenshot all the trees but one use the exact same materials and yet one of them isn't lit (not counting the one that uses the different material). The exact same materials, the exact same flags on the mesh, they're the same plant in the module data, etc. And yet they light differently.

Any ideas?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to modding and I'm trying to make the lords unrealistically overpowered. I've been trying to do this by setting their skills over 10 (because I figured if I can export my player character, change some values, and import it, and it works that I can do something similar to npc's.)

It hasn't been working.

I've been editing the module_troops.py with a text editor and then Morgh's Editor and I got the first error saying that I cannot set skill values about 10. Okay, that makes sense. Then I went into modules_skills.py and I changed the max values of the default skills to 20 and then I tried to build_module.bat. Same issue.

My question is, is there anyway to edit the skills of lords above 10? Or will I have to make them overpowered in some other way?

sonny99 said:
Ruthven said:
You can use hex values to go above 10

I'm unfamiliar with what that is. Could you give an example?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexadecimal

It looks like I was remembering incorrectly though. Read this: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,6575.msg7646913.html#msg7646913 and this: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,324586.msg7664483.html#msg7664483

Hello!

I'm currently attempting creating some new item types, though I've looked most everywhere from header_items to module_triggers in the hopes of finding where the properties of the itp and itp_type flags are stored, could some one give me some directions of where to look?

How can i change starting coordinates...I made new building on overworld map and and deleted options like:Join caravan to praven in kingdom of swadia.I deleted all those menus and left only praven and in mod sys game menus where was town 6 (i think thats praven)  i put fou ways inn' ID and its all ok my character starts there but when i leave he just spawns near one of training fields... So whats problem?and also if i start 2 new games without exiting from game and i leave i just get message You arrived at the four ways inn...

AelleCyning said:
I didn't edit anything back. A mod can confirm that.

Your post has only proven your deceit even more.
Here, coming from someone who's still **** at doing most of this stuff, it just takes trial and error to fix most of it.
Just try things, re-compile. Doesn't work? Change something, recompile again.

Oh and a tip that will save everyone's time here, always look at header_* files before asking for something(I wasted a lot of people's time ignoring the header files  :oops:)

sonny99 said:
I'm new to modding and I'm trying to make the lords unrealistically overpowered.
You can give them massive attributes, it really helps. Note that header_troops contains definitions only up to *_30 for all attributes. I'm pretty sure it was Arch3r who made an expanded version a long time ago, but I can't find the thread, so here it is if you want to check it out. Replace the similar values (all of them) with these, then try giving a lord 80 strength or something. The most elite soldiers in my mod were set up as level 50, with
Code:
str_24 | agi_21 | int_24 | cha_21
(and an assorted collection of skills (below 10)). The speed at which one of them could cut you down was almost too depressing, so I believe overpowered attributes will help you a lot.

The Archduke of Hell said:
I'm currently attempting creating some new item types, though I've looked most everywhere from header_items to module_triggers in the hopes of finding where the properties of the itp and itp_type flags are stored, could some one give me some directions of where to look?
Unfortunately, item types are hardcoded, meaning you can't add any more. You can fiddle with the item flags per item, and make some items use some of the different animations, or you could probably use the hidden itp_firearm class to create something like a second type of crossbow, but that's about it.

DarkNord said:
How can i change starting coordinates...

see script "game_start", its the first one on module_scripts.py. It handles setup for a new campaign (it is only called once) and among other things it spawns and sets your party (player) in the world

Code:
      (store_random_in_range, ":starting_training_ground", training_grounds_begin, training_grounds_end),
      (party_relocate_near_party, "p_main_party", ":starting_training_ground", 3),

this is from Native. It chooses a random training ground and relocates your party close to it... you can use any reference (a GPS coordinate, a town, a village, etc)

I'm currently attempting creating some new item types

Lilke @Lumos said you can't, as this is done inside the engine. What you can do is:
- rename them (how you display the property/quality in the game like "Lordly");
- change the price modifier (should "Lordly" cost 3x or 100x more than plain quality -> you must update the .txt file found on /data folder AND the script in the game for this to work);
- you can add new effects using triggers on your mission template (a example is the break weapons system in VC that reduces quality of your item as you use it, and that you can pay a NPC to improve it back; you can also add things like specials visual effects, more damage, etc)

AelleCyning said:
I didn't edit anything back.

a post display the created date and time. If you edit it you have a few seconds to publish a change without flagging your post. Take too long and it will have a "< Last Edit...." on it. Which just happens to be the case here
« Last Edit: 03-10-2016, 17:45:03 by AelleCyning »

And if i want something on map (or guy at scene)to be showed at certain quest or at certain part of game (making story line mod) which file i edit to say when will it be showed?Triggers??and about starting coordinates where should i put id of village i want main party spawned? Does i replace that :starting_training_ground with p_azgad??

Lumos said:
Unfortunately, item types are hardcoded, meaning you can't add any more. You can fiddle with the item flags per item, and make some items use some of the different animations, or you could probably use the hidden itp_firearm class to create something like a second type of crossbow, but that's about it.

Damn, well thanks for the help anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom