Modding Q&A [For Quick Questions and Answers]

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
FrisianDude said:
That's pretty much what I did, yeah. Now I wanted to clear everything from the "new" scene (which was actually Tulga) and build a new town. To clear everything, I'll have to select and delete it, I'd think. I wonder, what entry points spawn what? :???:

Yes. But be carefull with entry points. They are used for traders and walkers.

Now, it is possible that to put entry points in an empty scene (without props) is less work than deleting the props.

To know entry points correspondence, just have a look to 'module_mission_templates.py'. You'll find in this file all the entry points, listed template after template. You'll also find references to some scripts. Look at them.

Would there be a simple and clean way to create a moving city (trading outpost that moves around the map, or siege camp)

would that just be a unit w/a town model and a town menu?

thats just a random thing I was wondering about, no need to call me a noob or verbally deface me. I am not gonna code it because I suck at modding, so yeah. Don't abuse me..it's a harmless question

André de Cuyne said:
FrisianDude said:
That's pretty much what I did, yeah. Now I wanted to clear everything from the "new" scene (which was actually Tulga) and build a new town. To clear everything, I'll have to select and delete it, I'd think. I wonder, what entry points spawn what? :???:

Yes. But be carefull with entry points. They are used for traders and walkers.

Now, it is possible that to put entry points in an empty scene (without props) is less work than deleting the props.

To know entry points correspondence, just have a look to 'module_mission_templates.py'. You'll find in this file all the entry points, listed template after template. You'll also find references to some scripts. Look at them.

Ah, now that does help, thanks.

lukaszirn said:
Would there be a simple and clean way to create a moving city (trading outpost that moves around the map, or siege camp)

thats just a random thing I was wondering about, no need to call me a noob or verbally deface me. I am not gonna code it because I suck at modding, so yeah. Don't abuse me..it's a harmless question
Chin up, this thread isn't for abusing. But it seems possible to me.

Thanks, I am a novice modder and I just expect the flame

I think I will try that..Kinda a siege camp for the faction to recruit units and allow an effective base for opertations...I don't know how to script it right so I will leave the idea out there

lukaszirn said:

Is possible.

In python, parties, find your town-party, and where it has _immobile (or is it _immovable???)  remove that, and you are sorted. 

Entry points:  listen up:

50+ are for the siege tower if used
40-50 are defender spawns in siege situations
30-40 are for walkers (townsman/villager)
22-28 are for garrison troops in 'visit town centre' situation
13-22 are for NPCs in taverns, and 15 is for garrison troops in 'visit town centre' situation
1-12 are for the player, merchants etcetera. 

spawn points and passages:
0      player attacking
1          player (not attack)
2  player re-entry from castle
3      sally port  //alley def
4      player re-entry not attack
5      player re-entry not attack
6    arena player re-entry
7  PRISON?  player re-entry
8 ----------------
9    armourer    (barman in tavern)
10      weaponsmith / defender
11    guildmaster    / defender
12      horsemerchant
13------------
14-------------
15      def
16--------------npc
17--------------npc
18---------------npc
19-------------npc
20--------------npc
21-------------npc
22--------------npc
23      castle doorguard    -npc in tavern
24        prisonguard        -npc in tavern
25      soldier
26        soldier
27      soldier
28      soldier
29------
30--------------
31-----------
32          walker
33          walker
34      walker
35        walker
36        walker
37            walker
38        walker
39          walker
40        def
41          defender
42        def
43        def
44          def
45      def
46            defender
47          defender
50+ = siege tower
pqassages
0        castle
1            (blank)
2        castle
3        town centre
4          tavern
5          shop
6            arena
7        prison

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Help!!

I'm trying to make a mod for the first time. I've tried following the module system basic tutorial (from mbrepository.com) but none of the changes I make appear in the module folder. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Make sure your module_info.py file is correct to direct the module where you want it, and then
Always compile (twice) using the build_module.bat file.
Start a new game and you're good.

mfberg

Here's a question I have:

Is grc_heroes from header_mission_templates deprecated? Just curious, since I was wondering if I could potentially re-add the ability to command your companions separately.

lukaszirn said:

Is possible.

In python, parties, find your town-party, and where it has _immobile (or is it _immovable???)  remove that, and you are sorted. 

Entry points:  listen up:

50+ are for the siege tower if used
40-50 are defender spawns in siege situations
30-40 are for walkers (townsman/villager)
22-28 are for garrison troops in 'visit town centre' situation
13-22 are for NPCs in taverns, and 15 is for garrison troops in 'visit town centre' situation
1-12 are for the player, merchants etcetera. 

spawn points and passages:
0      player attacking
1          player (not attack)
2  player re-entry from castle
3      sally port  //alley def
4      player re-entry not attack
5      player re-entry not attack
6    arena player re-entry
7  PRISON?  player re-entry
8 ----------------
9    armourer    (barman in tavern)
10      weaponsmith / defender
11    guildmaster    / defender
12      horsemerchant
13------------
14-------------
15      def
16--------------npc
17--------------npc
18---------------npc
19-------------npc
20--------------npc
21-------------npc
22--------------npc
23      castle doorguard    -npc in tavern
24        prisonguard        -npc in tavern
25      soldier
26        soldier
27      soldier
28      soldier
29------
30--------------
31-----------
32          walker
33          walker
34      walker
35        walker
36        walker
37            walker
38        walker
39          walker
40        def
41          defender
42        def
43        def
44          def
45      def
46            defender
47          defender
50+ = siege tower
pqassages
0        castle
1            (blank)
2        castle
3        town centre
4          tavern
5          shop
6            arena
7        prison

------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/quote]
So does that mean that I could delete say, 6 or 7 depending on whether I want an arena or prison entrance...

Just to clarify what this is for, I have designs for making a siege camp that the marshall uses to stage military campaigns...like a portable castle that has troops and such....

Also, I was thinking about making movable trader parties that sell rare or expensive merchandise and move around based on a global economy (that would be set up based on trading and whats in each faction's caravan)

I am not even sure the moving-trading-city that responds to a python-made global economy is even possible so that seems unlikely for me to mod it.

Thank you for all your help

lukaszirn:
Not sure how quickly it would move around, but you can certainly make a party that has all of what you want.

If you are building the scene from scratch, you just add the passages / entry points as and where required.  They will be assigned numbers in ascending order.  You have to change them manually. 

If you edit an existing scene, then you can use CTRL-A to select ALL objects, then single left-click on the names (in the editor menu) of those you wish to keep in your scene (eg, spawns and passages) then use 'delete' key to remove all those highlighted.
Be warned, there is no undo....

I have a problem compiling my mod. I created a new faction but the compiler says it's not defined?

Code:
module_factions.py
  ("knights_of_the_round_table","Knights of the Round Table", 0, 0.5,[("player_faction",-1.0,[])

Any help?

Yeah was missing a bracket.

EDIT: Ok, new question. So I made a new troop, named "sir_galahad" and let's say when I fight with Sir Galahad and win the battle, is it possible to make him NOT escape any way? He's a troop for a quest I made, but in the quest you must speak with him after the fight.

Look in cf_check_hero_can_escape_from_player.

You should be able to force the dialog at the end of the battle which is what I'd recommend.  I'm guessing that the appropriate place to do that is in mnu_total_victory.

Right, I made a town, sort of, and I noticed that the guards that spawn in it (the ones that say that "mind your manners" business) are troops from a wholly different faction. :???: How come?

FrisianDude said:
Right, I made a town, sort of, and I noticed that the guards that spawn in it (the ones that say that "mind your manners" business) are troops from a wholly different faction. :???: How come?
I'm not sure which it is if it is any of them, but I've found that not setting these slots up properly on the appropriate faction results in the wrong guys spawning in various scenes:
- slot_faction_guard_troop
- slot_faction_messenger_troop
- slot_faction_prison_guard_troop
- slot_faction_castle_guard_troop

Not sure if that's it or not, though.

A question not involved with any kind of coding.  :shock:

How would one UVmap a armor succesfuly? My armors don't seem to come out good when I UV them. Is Wings even a good program to UVmap with? Got any better?

fisheye said:
FrisianDude said:
Is it possible to give troops items with imodbits? :???:

Yes. You have to use troop_add_item in an script called at the beginning of the game, just like how the player is given starting equipment with imods. You can't do it in module_troops.

Now, too bad I have to drag this up, but I can't seem to find out how to do it; mainly because I'm an utter noob at this. I tried adding
Code:
      (try_begin),
             (troop_add_item, "trp_testerman","itm_nordic_sword",0),
    (try_end),
    ]
),

at the end of game_menus.py but that only gave errors. :???:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom