Modding Q&A [For Quick Questions and Answers]

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
nuekboi said:
I have a question for those of you who've worked on total conversion mods: Where did you start?

I have all the concepts for my mod written down and I've done the basic setup for the module system as well as some third party tools, but I just don't know where I should begin. Should I start with adding items? or new factions? or changing the world map? I feel slightly lost right now

Set yourself goals as to what you want the current version to be like. Too many people try to add a million features without planning how they're going to get it done. Start off by just getting a working version of your mod done, with new factions, a map, and the troops and basic cosmetic things.

Then work your way around the module system, looking for scripts or bits of code you might want to change to fit your setting, like the speed people travel in different situations or the type of troops you can get. This takes the longest but you'll learn a lot, and eventually be able to create your own scripts and implement them on a whim.

Stuff like dialogue, faction backgrounds and lord names can be really difficult for some people, and there's a lot (several thousand words) to change. If that's the case, you'll want to gradually plan what the factions are like while you're making the rest of your mod (not just a vague military descvription like "has good spearmen", but a proper culture that makes sense in your universe). The best mod universes are the ones that fit in with the game's mechanics. So say you want to make a mod focused on horse archer combat, it'll make sense to have nomadic factions on a large, flattish map with few trees, possibly giving lords banners with horses or deer on them, or even a hunting mechanic. Some of the factions might have lots of semi-independent lords with small armies, while others might own a few walled cities and get involved in trade. Stuff like that really helps immersion and makes your mod stand out.

Anyway, don't let me discourage you. Good luck.  :razz:

Thanks! Thats my original plan right now. Just get it working with the new factions, map, and weapons. I have a bunch of unique features in mind but those are quite complex and would be implemented MUCH MUCH later

jacobhinds said:
Is it possible to change the player troop's facecode, or is it hardcoded?

No, just open the troops.py and search for "player". You will see the face code just like the others' face codes.

Is it what you asked or I misunderstood due to my poor English? :facepalm:

jacobhinds said:
Is it possible to change the player troop's facecode, or is it hardcoded? I don't even mind a super hacky solution that swaps them out with another agent.

Idk if you can change it from module_troops.py, but you can change it from script using the operation (run this after the player sets it's face):
Code:
troop_set_face_keys                   = 2751 # (troop_set_face_keys, <troop_no>, <string_no>, [<alt>]),

Troop face codes generate randomly between two values in hex code. So, you cahnge only one of them, using player's face, like Dragos suggested. I have done it, it's easy, actually.

Now, if I can ask a question which coincintedally has to do with faces. I implement some hairstyles in my personal module and the hair appears all white. The native hair seem fine, nothing changed. Only the OSP hair are white. Not white as no texture white, but white color.

I should note a couple of things: I have used the exact same hair and beards in the past with no problem, many times. Also, the native hair are fine. Lastly, that happens to this module's added hair, beards, for males and females.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

modify script_party_get_game_speed (i think thats the correct script) to a slower % if the party is a ship, ie pf_is_ship.

Antonis said:
Thanks, I'll check.

EDIT: ok, I checked, no. 5 calls for the colors, as it is in Native skins file and still the same result. Albinos everywhere.

Have you checked the brf files? I once had two brf files for hair meshes and i input the hair texture into both, for some reason this gave me weird results including white hair. Also check you dont have native and your mods brf files being called in module.ini.

How can i set a castle as disabled to appear later on? If i set the disabled flag in parties it doesn't show the castle on the map, but then it assigns the player as the owner, which i don't want. I also don't want to set it to any other faction.
I don't want it to be active until a certain point in the game and it needs to be completely neutral up until that point. Any ideas?

produno said:
Have you checked the brf files? I once had two brf files for hair meshes and i input the hair texture into both, for some reason this gave me weird results including white hair. Also check you dont have native and your mods brf files being called in module.ini.

Thanks, my brf file is named Moddershair, so there is not conflict there. I will check that about the texture, although I suspect it is sth else, as I can see the "leather" on the hair bands texture fine, only the hairs look white.  :???:

Antonis I just had a similar problem, make sure all hair textures are in textures_face_gen.brf and Materials are in materials_face_gen.brf seems the system can't find them if they are elsewhere.

Zephilinox said:
What determines the order of troops shown in the overlay of a center when a lord is waiting there? I'm using rubiks party sort code, however when a party is waiting at a town the hero will appear at the top, followed by the town garrison in order, followed by the hero party in order.

Anyone know? is there some kind of script that combines parties in a town and its garrison before being displayed?

Solved both of my problems. Face codes for trp_player seem to be hardcoded so I just assigned a new face with a custom face model (way more flexible for what I have in mind), and I found the F1 flag in object_meshes (commonres). Replaced that ugly puke-yellow flag with a large-ish arrow that doesn't disappear at 50 metres.

Now I've got another issue -- how exactly do battle_size_min and battle_size_max in module.ini work? I've set both values to various numbers, and the battle size slider is but in-game, I only get the default numbers of men in a scene at any given moment (<150). Is there something else I need to implement in module.ini or elsewhere?

I'm on version 1.167 but my module system is from 1.15x (with various grafts in header_operations).

I replaced Haringoth castle_exterior_scene with one of Adorno's castle scenes and I am trying to add siege tower. But there is a problem  :sad:.

This is the the tower I added on "CHEAT exterior". The entries you see are 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 for the siege tower's route and there is entry 55 under the siege tower.
And this is Haringoth Castle(castle_35) in module_scripsts:
Code:
      (party_set_slot,"p_castle_34", slot_center_siege_with_belfry, 1),
      (party_set_slot,"p_castle_35", slot_center_siege_with_belfry, 1), #Haringoth
      (party_set_slot,"p_castle_38", slot_center_siege_with_belfry, 1),
      (party_set_slot,"p_castle_40", slot_center_siege_with_belfry, 1),
But when I attacked to the castle, the situation is like this :sad: :

How can I handle this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom