Documentation MaBLED - Mount & Blade Language and Engine Documentation

Users who are viewing this thread

As some of you have already seen in the Modding Discord, I have started to write down a new, more detailed Modding Guide for M&B Warband. Take note, it is work in progress and there is still a lot which needs to find its place inside there or needs to be updated or described better. The plan is to gather all available informations scattered across the forum and integrate into one Guide which can then serve as a good base for all Modders of the Warband Engine.

GitLab
The pdf Modding Guide pdf has been reworked into multiple html documents, all together called MaBLED (Mount & Blade Language and Engine Documentation). It should give you a quicker and better overview above the various topics and make the access easier.
You can access the Modding Guide online:

It can also be downloaded directly from the GitLab, you can unzip it at any place you like, even within a folder in your mod. Start it with a simple click on MaBLED.html which opens the offline-documents at your webbrowser.
I use html for writting the Modding Guide and I have the source available at GitLab for the case that I can't continue the project, so others will be able to pick up the work.

Moddb
I have uploaded the last PDF version of the Modding Guide at moddb. This file will not get updated anymore but some might prefer it.

>>> Link to the PDF File on Moddb <<<
The LaTex version is still available at a branch at the GitLab, should someone feel the itch to update it alongside the html updates:

Preview

Screenshot_2022-08-21_at_15-44-16_MaBLED.png

Last edited:
Edit Log 24.01.2021
  • Added passage 'Using Modifiers for Item Variants'
  • Added passage about timid and meek horse modifiers
  • Added subsection 'Basic Colour Codes' to FAQ section
  • Added Subsection Module Strings, by jik
  • Added Subsection Module Quests, by jik
  • Added Subsection Module Mission Template, by jik
  • Started subsection Module Particle Systems
  • Moved up section about module.ini and renamed it as well as section Documentation
  • Added remark of Somebody at fall damage
  • Little corrections and additions

Edit Log 25.04.2021

It's a bigger update, I should have made it in more little steps. The page count is a bit blown up by the fact that I added a lot of linked notes with informations which I want to integrate later. It looks thus a bit messy and bigger than it really is but I deemed it to be the best way to store those notes while giving the readers already access to them.

• new subsubchapter "Loop Extension"
  • little additions

• module_factions: new subsubchapters "Difference between Faction and Culture", "Changing Faction Relations", "Differentiating between Player's Faction and Player Supporters' Faction" and "Maximum Amount of Factions"
  • module_skills: new subchapters "Maximum Skill Level" and "Adding, Combining, Deleting and/or Editing Skills"
  • module_skins: added chapter intro; new subchapters "Adding a new Skin", "Skin Flag and Morph Key", "Face Keys Code", "Scaling Problems" and "Skins for Horses"
  • module_troops: new subchapters "Scene Entry Point", "Random Attribute and Skill Points" and "Differences between Classes, Subclasses and Divisions"
  • module_items: new subchapters "Maximum Weapon Damage", "Equipment Slots", "Damage Types", "Maximum Inventory Items" and "Morale Effect of Food"
  • module_scene_props: new subchapter "Scene Prop Meta Types, Sub Kind ID and Variation IDs"
  • module_scenes: new subchapter "Character Creation Screen aka Meeting Scene"
  • module_parties: new subchapters "Maximum Number of Stacks", "Experience Constants" and "Fiefs' Association with each other"
  • module_strings: new subchapters "Gender-based Alternation", "Strings and Syntax" and "Difference between Strings and Quick Strings"
  • module_quests: new subchapter "Bare-bones for New Quests"
  • module_dialogs: added chapter intro; new subchapters "Requirements and the Condition Block" and "Declarations for Dialogs"
  • module_mission_template: new subchapters "Spawn Records" and "Jumping from Mission Template to Mission Template"
  • At nearly each chapter little additions
  • At nearly each chapter unstructured notes for later integration

• Expanded some descriptions

Many still WIP
  • games_variables.txt
  • variables.txt
  • variable_uses.txt
  • rlg_log.txt
  • rlg_config.txt
  • Damage Formula
  • Weapon Speed Formula
  • Shot Speed/Missile Starting Velocity Formula
  • Missile Speed Formula
  • Maximum Speed and Acceleration Formulas
  • World Map Speed Formula
  • Gain Experience Formula
  • Experience Formula for Leveling Up
  • World Map Speed Formula
  • Colour Codes
  • Usage of Unicode Characters
  • Weapon Switch System
  • Calculation for Reticle Size at Aiming with Ranged Weapons
  • Range of a Kick
  • Chance for horses being crippled or killed
  • Crosshair
  • Ammo Drop and Pick Up
  • Melee Weapon Bounce
  • Biggest Value that a Variable can hold
  • Semi-randomness
  • Save Game Compability
  • Quoted and Unquoted Variables
  • Uniniatiated Variables
  • Mount & Blade Engine and Multithreading
  • List of Native Key Kombinations

• Other:
  • Updated credit list
  • Little corrections and expansions
  • Little changes at format
  • A lot of unstructured notes for later integration, sorry for the mess

Get the new version at the usual place:

Edit Log 16.05.2021

It's an update with little new content but to organise it better at the GitLab.
  • Created Milestones and associated Issues for better overview about what still needs to be done
  • Sorted notes and commets to subsubchapters
  • Started some work at subchapters for module_music/sounds/animations.py
  • Improved Subchapter Structure at Game Engine Chapter, still needs better structure at latter parts
  • Little corrections
Now volunteers have it easier to chip in if they want. Go to the milestones at the GitLab and select the one which interests you the most. Most of them have issues associated which still need to be worked up. Some milestones are still missing issues and the issue list for the others might also still expand. You can find the milestones here:

I am as always happy if people pass by some information snippets which I can integrate, be it at the forum here or at the discord (preferably forum, for linking and archive purposes).

Great Work! I really do appreciate it my friend. Since I'm back to Warband Modding this will make things easier for me to remember things that i forgot. Warband is still a fun game to mod, hope more people will support this project!

New update for the Modding Guide:
  • Added intro to chapter Module Animations
  • Added descriptions to all known animation flags
  • Finished most parts at the subchapters "Animations and Item Types" and "Animations and Item Capability Flags"
  • Added subchapter "Multi-meshing"
  • Finished "Item Capabilities"
  • Some work at "Item Properties"
  • Little Addon to possible effect when hidding hardcoded skills
  • Finished subsection "Troop Tree"
  • Little corrections and added passages

New update for the Modding Guide:
  • Started the chapters "Module Simple Triggers", "Module Triggers" and "Vertex Animations".
  • Finished the chapters "Skin/Race-specific Animations", "Item Types/Classes", "Item Damage Types", "Item Modifiers", "Usage of ixmesh", "Item Extra Description", "Item Triggers", "Books".
  • Replaced German quotation mark with english one.
  • Little corrections and addons.

Back
Top Bottom