Modders Lore thread: An informative guide on tips and limits to modding.

Users who are viewing this thread

This isnt a guide to modding, as there are already those, but rather an information thread on the tips to successful ease of modding.

I would like to build a catalog of what modders do to ensure a smooth modding experience, and to list limits of mod potential. Such limits would include item number capacity, faction number capacity etc. I'll update this as information is posted, and the game changes versions should that happen.

The 3 categories to focus on are:

Python
BRF
TXT - (for those modders whom don't use python, as there seems to be many of them)

Remember the target information to gather on the categories are limits, bugs, and general tips.If we find ways or fixes for the limits or bugs, I will add a link to fix under said limit/bug if you supply it.

Python

Tips:

1. When you make changes in Python do not close them. This way if the mod fails to compile, or there is an unforseen error in the game you can simple backtrack by ctrl+z (undo) until a point where the mod works and you can then retrace going forward to find the error.

2. When concerning item balance in your mod, remember it may not be necessary to change each individual item's property, but rather you can change the properties wholesale in the module.ini file.

3. You should make no less than two backups of your python files in the event of mass error.

4. It sometimes takes 2 tries for Python to compile. A good example of this adding items or adding to games_menu. If the compile gives errors the first time, run it again to make sure this isnt the case.

5. When adding to python, such as factions or map icons, as well as many other functions - if the mod is not compiling where you feel it should, check to make sure that your ID_ and Header_  sections have these new functions included.

Limits/bugs:

1. Known item limit of 915 before game will crash

2. No known limit to factions lords per faction. Banners per lord must be resolved however to eliminate red text. Fix here..
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,49473.0.html

3. In 0.960 and possibly 1.X  there is a problem where if you changed a skill name (not the skill ID) then this caused a problem when importing/exporting a character since the file uses the skill names (not the ID).  As a workaround create a skills.csv language file and do not make many changes in module_skills.py itself. Fix here ... http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,52642.15.html

BRF

Tips:

Limits/bugs:

1. Does not support custom horse skeletons (anyone confirm this and if there is a way around this?)

2. Item stacking bug - Items with near identical entries can often stack polygons. An example is name entries xsword1  and xsword10. In this case xsword1 would recieve a double polygon count from xsword10, but xsword10 would remain at a normal poly count. This has the potential to stack limitless times and can result in a crash, so make sure to check the poly count on your items often.

3. Coloring tool not supported.

4. Item reach not supported.

5. Wireframe not supported.

6. BRF edit can't import/export female deformation data (rigging ?). So your ladies will be flat chested. And the men won't get the new deformation stuff. If your armor is based from a native mesh, you can make a copy of the native file, remove all except what you need, and change the mesh name and texture. if you need multiple variants, clone will work fine.

TXT

Tips:

1. If you are a .txt modder, and are foraying into the world of Python, remember that compiling Python script will overwrite custom work done to your .txt changes. Make backups.

2. Map editing. If you edit a map with Thor's MapEditor, the next time you compile with Python it will overwrite the changes you made. Always remember to make a copy of Parties.txt before you compile, that you can then copy back. You can transfer the data to your python.  All you need to transfer is the (x,y), the z is automatic. and the name if you set it with the editor, of course. There is a tool made to copy party coordinates from party.txt into module_parties and can be found here http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,45772.0.html

Limits/bugs:

Misc:

1. Map Editor - Traversable water crossing tiles need to be higher than sea level or else this can result in parties getting stuck and transferred to water tiles.

2. Scene editing - When editing AI grid (AI mesh) in scenes, make sure and move town walkers off of AI grid that you are editing, otherwise editing the grid with walkers active on them will cause the game to crash.

Great topic, theres really a huge need for these as most of the tips/guides are outdated.

There seems to be a limit on the lords - fiefs ratio: game starts to crash and strange things happen when theres
lots of lords in a kingdom with only a few fiefs.

Coledash said:
Great topic, theres really a huge need for these as most of the tips/guides are outdated.

There seems to be a limit on the lords - fiefs ratio: game starts to crash and strange things happen when theres
lots of lords in a kingdom with only a few fiefs.

Be more specific?

Perhaps you are thinking of the lords number exceeding the banner number resulting in red text?

Also: Map editing. If you edit a map with Thor's MapEditor, the next time you compile with Python it will overwrite the changes you made. Always remember to make a copy of Map.txt and Parties.txt before you compile, that you can then copy back.

Llew2 said:
Also: Map editing. If you edit a map with Thor's MapEditor, the next time you compile with Python it will overwrite the changes you made. Always remember to make a copy of Map.txt and Parties.txt before you compile, that you can then copy back.

Hmm, I seem to recall it only overwrites your party file. You're fine leaving the map.txt file in, as the module system never touches it.

SantasHelper said:
Llew2 said:
Or patiently transfer the data in your python. Once the map is done. You still need to backup the map if you changed more than the parties locations of course. All you need to transfer is the (x,y), the z is automatic. and the name if you set it with the editor, of course.

Or you can use my program to copy the party coordinates from parties.txt into module_parties.py so this doesn't happen.  :smile:  I'm working on another version to copy the party names and maybe some other info into module_parties.py, so post in this thread if you have any other suggestions.
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,45772.0.html

Yep, I recommend Hokie's system. Works like a charm.

It was a conversation between he and I which inspired such genius!

For a limit I think this might be useful for all the blood threads popping up lately
Highlander said:
You can do pretty much nothing about blood. You can change the magnitude, and how the particle looks, but nothing else.

Heh, I've done the same with all my mods. He made it after I put in the work :smile:.

SantasHelper said:
That would have saved me a day !!! 444 fiefs !
ouch!  You are a programmer and doing manual work like this, you know better.  :wink:    I think I had this thing created a day or so after I spoke to Elenmmare, I'm way too lazy efficient for that.  :smile:

FYI - The module system should not overwrite map.txt

I posted this in another thread so figured I'd mention it here.  I haven't tested this in 1.x, but 0.960 had a problem where if you changed a skill name (not the skill ID) then this caused a problem when importing/exporting a character since the file uses the skill names (not the ID).  As a workaround I always create a skills.csv language file and do not make many changes in module_skills.py itself.

1) create an 'en' folder under the 'languages' folder in your mod
2) create a skills.csv and add text like the following. By putting a blank space for power draw in the example below it basically disables it so it doesn't appear in the list and I don't think you can give points into it.  However, there are a few pixels where if you mouse over or click on it perfectly then you can see the description, so that is why I added that additional text.

Code:
skl_inventory_management|Cargo Management
skl_inventory_management_desc|Increases ship cargo capacity by +6 per skill level. (Leader skill)
skl_power_draw|
skl_power_draw_desc|Power Draw - this skill is not used

Back
Top Bottom