Modder looking for North American server recommendations to rent

Users who are viewing this thread

Cheers -- I'm looking for a recommendation from community members who have hosted a mod on a North American server. (I'm set for Europe.) I'm willing to pay standard rates for a 20-slot server. What I need most is a server where I can update my mod fairly regularly, and is quick to respond to technical problems.

Any recommendations? I'd particularly like to hear from MP modders who've had a good experience with a server for their mod.

Thanks!
Steve

MaHuD said:
Rallix said:
Always ready to host for you.
Just get a dropbox account.  :wink:
Can he restart the server from a distance though?
He would need to contact me. I would need some kind of notification that the server files had changed.
I'm pretty sure that Dropbox does instantly notify its users of changes to shared files though.

Jest is the "best" place to rent from as far as performance and control panel options. Their servers are overbooked right now. Serious performance issues that look like processor limitations. They are also about 2x as expensive as they should be. This is all anecdotal evidence, but it is very frustrating to try to run competitions on a ping rollercoaster.

My experience with other options is not quite as good, specifically for mods. Most places don't let you modify the server config files directly (necessary for hosting a server for a new mod), although I'm sure an exception could be made.

All of the hosts let you modify files directly through ftp, but jest is the only one I have used that lets you modify the configs as well.

Or you could let Rallix know when to reset the server, for no monays :grin:

http://www.markmods.com Solid as anything. Mark himself is very communicative and reliable (can contact through support, IM, twitter). Full ftp and control panel (restart stop start +more) access.

20 Slot servers is 10 euros. They have Kansas and California in the US.

Not solid in US. I closed mine because ping would rise to from about 30~ to about 100 during primetime. Good control panel and support but they need to work out their networking.

BroBroCrap has experience with their Kansas server, and can give you some insight there.

Edit: I guess there isn't a great place to rent servers from. If there was, we'd be there.

100 ping is probably good enough, if the panel is good -- it's a mod that involves a lot of AI bots, where the ping isn't quite as crucial. Rallix is currently setting me up, but I might try them as a backup.

Thanks to all for the recommendations.

Fehnor said:
BroBroCrap has experience with their Kansas server, and can give you some insight there.

Edit: I guess there isn't a great place to rent servers from. If there was, we'd be there.
Balion also hosted with MarkMod for a month.  The setup and controls were what you would expect and fully accessible.  The server performance was below our expectations.  Ping spikes and such.

We are now privately hosted out of New York.  Control options are limited but server performance is exceptional.

We used Jest for...years now.  We've hosted many mods and typically I would upload them myself and setup the config files.  It worked out well for what we were doing.  I also know Jest has full support for WSE if that is needed.  My dealing with him the few times I needed to, Jest was very helpful and prudent, but I feel he personally doesn't have the full tech knowledge of making things work but has a staff that handles that.  For example we needed +64 slots for an event, he delivered but did so late due to him not knowing how but having to run it through his tech help.

Jest also has a running history of performance issues but it seems also client specific, meaning only certain people will spike all over the place.  I had such issues and pm'd him, after weeks of consistent issues with ping, with a trace of my connection which he then turned over to the data center.  Afterward the condition improved drastically, although I still have spikes from time to time but that could be my end. (Doubt it though)

Hope that helps.  GL

Back
Top Bottom