Mod Thoughts: Altering and Expanding the Female Soldier Tree

Users who are viewing this thread

So, for the record, I haven't actually done any of this yet. This is more of a public brain storming and concept testing thread. I will probably attempt to pull it off, though I have no real modding experiencing. The tools seem to already be in place to allow it to happen though, so it mostly seems a matter of learning them.

I realize the actual presence of female troops at all in the game is in part more of a bone thrown to players than necessarily something in fitting with the medieval world and warfare the game seeks to emulate. Never the less, I generally like the idea and think that done right, women soldiers would offer an interesting dynamic.

The base idea here is rather than having one female tree, extending from the generic Peasant Woman to the Sword Sister, there would instead be a tree for each faction and female recruits could be picked up at villages, albeit it at greatly reduced numbers.

The first thing I want to establish though is just what each culture/faction generally thinks about the idea of letting women onto the battlefield at all. While in general I imagine none of them, with maybe the exception of the Nords, actively support the notion, some would be more resistant to the idea than others.

Some of this I am basing off of things mentioned in the game itself, but most of it is assumption or complete fabrication. Looking for thoughts, corrections, additions, and so forth since it will end up coloring strongly just how the female troops themselves would develop.

Kingdom of Nords: The Nord people have had women warriors in their culture since long before the days they set down roots in Calradia. Their stories are thick with tales of the days of high adventure, when their long boats raided the coast line and great heroes won kingdoms at the point of the sword or slew dragon with mythical spear. The shield maiden and the Valkyrie both were almost always important figures in these tales, at times even heroes of them. There is a great reality to these tales as well. In their near past as ocean going traders or raiders, wives and daughters would often accompanying their menfolk on sea voyages and fight beside them. To this day, Nord women are free to take up arms and go on campaign, should they chose. Fewer do that in the past and many communities less willing to release them to do so, but once on the battlefield are often given positions of honor.

Kingdom of Swadia: In both legend and lineage, the Swadian royal line is thick with warrior queens who could ride and fight as well as any man in the kingdom. So too do most noble lineages. Law and tradition allowing for widowed wives to take command of her husband's lands and even armies, some of these female-knights, Dames, who had already produced heirs would choose never to remarry and continue to command armies on the battlefield until their deaths. Swadia is thus fairly open to the notion of female soldiers, but only to a point. They have no real tradition of common women taking up arms and even those among the nobility are seen as admired exceptions, rather than a standard any noble born lady should aspire to. Leaving the fields of their village to peruse a life of war is not made easy for common born women who, like their men folk, are typically tied to their lands by lease and free townswomen can often find greater profit perusing the life of a merchant trader or skilled laborer than in an army. Only true desperation will drive Swadian women to the life of a soldier and those that take up the sword are regarded with some suspicion, as many are assumed (usually falsely) of fleeing from some crime.

Kingdom of Vaegir: The Vaegir people sit nearly in polar opposition to the Swadians. It's common-born women folk have nearly always risen in defense of the kingdom, yet it has few women at the heads of it's armies. This stems from the expectation that while the men of the noble families campaign on the battlefield, their wives and daughters campaign back home in the equally perilous field of courtly politics and the tending of the family holdings. Vaegir's queens have thus mostly been famed for their skill in politics, diplomacy, and bureaucracy than as battlefield commanders. In similar vein, common-born women soldiers may rise to defend Vaegir lands, yet once the threat is dealt with they are not expected to continue to fight along side the menfolk, but to return home and reassume their womanly duties. Vaegir women on campaign outside it's boarders are thus seen as queer and will often find themselves ostracized from the rest of the army, who pressure them to return home. Such things can turn rather nasty, even violent, and most boyars prefer not to allow women to join them as soldiers expressly to avoid it.

Kingdom of Rhodoks: In it's very recent past when the rebelling Rhodok counts had not yet cemented their legitimacy over the lands the kingdom now occupies, desperation forced them into fielding anybody capable of carrying spear or crossbow to face the Swadian armies and early Rhodok armies had a large number of women soldiers. At the time, fledgling counts would swear by the resolution of their female soldiers and poems were written praising the bravery of Rhodok's battle maidens. Now struggling now for legitimacy among the other kingdoms of Calradia, those early days are looked back upon with embarrassment. They became the source of jest and insult, perpetuating the image of the effeminate Rhodok man forever lusting after foreign women as their own were too masculine. Though some, notably King Graveth himself, view the service of their women as a source of pride, most counts distance themselves as much as they can from this legacy and many of the common men follow suit. Stories of Rhodok women on the battlefield are suppressed or played down and young women who seem to show an excess of spirit are swiftly bound to a husband and confined to the home.

Khergite Khannate: By their telling, the Khergite people were born of the She-Wolf and it was the First Woman who tamed the horses of the steeps and crafted the first bow from her own rib and hair. It shocks most outsiders to realize how much every Khan defers to the judgment and advice of his mother or to see how it is the Khergite women who teach young boys how to ride and shoot a bow. Women have always had a place as hunters and providers among the tribes of the steeps and can rise to position of great respect in these roles. Their duty is to the tribe however, providing it with children and tending it's daily needs. It is not expected or desired that they should ever take the role of soldier or raider, but with the nomadic nature of the Khergite it has always been common for the entire tribe, including the women, to follow in the wake of the men. Should the battle go poorly, the entire tribe is then often placed in danger and Khergite women will rise to it's defense. Their sheer ferocity is legendary and many would rather negotiate terms than face them. Should a Khergite woman feel her true place is on the battlefield, it is rarely contested and she is treated no different than any other warrior provided she show herself capable of caring for herself.

Sarranid Sultanate: The Sultanate has a very checkered and often tragic relation to it's women. In all matters, women are held secondary to men. A wife must always submit and defer to a husband, a daughter to a father, a sister to a brother. Though women are treasured, protected, and provided for, actual respect is far harder for a Sarranid woman to earn. It is not even considered her place to defend herself, but the responsibility of the men of her family. There is no tradition of women warriors among the Sarranids. Even hunting through their fables, one will be hard pressed to find a female figure who is more than a prize to be earned and it is the rare noble woman in their recorded history who has proved able to earn standing on her own among them. Common women who attempt to strike out on their own are held in low regard and those who openly take up arms as a soldier are considered 'fallen' women in the same fashion as prostitutes. However, there are many Sarranid women who choose to do just that, seeking refuge from the constraints of their society in battle outside of the Sultanate.

Nice, you write very well.

Just for your information, the mod Native Expansion has several female troop trees in it, and it's port to Warband is currently in BETA. I'm sure you would enjoy it once it's done. Especially the Nords have some very good female troops, which correlates with your story about them.

Captain_Octavius said:
Nice, you write very well.

Thank you kindly, Ocatvius.

Captain_Octavius said:
Just for your information, the mod Native Expansion has several female troop trees in it, and it's port to Warband is currently in BETA. I'm sure you would enjoy it once it's done. Especially the Nords have some very good female troops, which correlates with your story about them.

Looked it up after you mentioned it. Looks really interesting and I'll most definitely try it out, but I'll probably still try to do my own if for no other reason than to do my own.

Nords
Base Recruit: Nord Adventurer
The first tier Nord female warrior is the adventurer. Like all first tier infantry, she is fragile and extremely poorly armed. Owing to her smaller size and reach compared to her male counter-part, the recruit, the adventurer is equipped with a pole arm, typically a boar spear, and often carries throwing spears, though is not particularly proficient with their use. She occasionally has a nord shield.

Branch One: Shield Maiden (Trained, Veteran, Honored)
The first development branch for Nord females is the shield maiden. The shield maiden is a swift light infantry unit. She continues to wield primarily pole weapons and will also likely carry a short nordic sword or a one-handed axe as well, for close in fighting, but stops carrying throwing spears. The shield maiden places more points into Shield than she does Power Strike and many into Ironflesh as well. By Veteran level she can hold the line extremely well when called upon. The fifth tier of this branch, the Honored Shield Maiden, wears mail and carry war spears.

Branch Two: Tracker (Huntress, Valkyrja)
The second development branch for Nord females is the tracker. The tracker is an extremely fast moving skirmisher who eventually develops into one of the swiftest infantry troops in the game. She comes equipped with two sets of throwing spears, a short one-handed weapon, and a shield, but is extremely lightly armored, making her vulnerable in close combat or to intense fire from archers. Unlike the shield maiden, the tracker never puts points into the Shield skill and few points into Ironflesh, instead focusing on movement and damage out-put with Athletics, Power Strike, Power Throw. The Valkyrja, the fourth tier of this branch, has extremely high levels of both Athletics and Power Throw, as well as high proficiency in Thrown Weapons.

My basic idea for the female troops are to provide Nord armies with either a supportive, defensive backbone (or at least vertebrae, since I picture recruiting large number of female troops from any faction to be difficult) or a potent skirmisher who can eventually kind-of-sort-of stand in for cavalry on flanking missions to get at archers or other weaker second line troops. Neither is intended to function alone. Theoretically (no proof of concept yet), troops out of the shield maiden branch would work far better with another row of units in front of them to tangle up the initial wave so they could continue to have room to use their spears, while troops out of the tracker tree need any other force present to keep attention off them while they move into position. I don’t know yet if it would even be possible, but ideally I would love for every Honored Shield Maiden or Valkyrja in your company to add +1 to the moral of Nord troops.

:lol: What about a +1 Morale for every male/female couple in your party?

Nice read. Personally, the idea just occurred to me to make the female troop line completely ranged. The reasoning behind it would be that males by nature tend to have more physical strength and more weight, and thus suit a melee role in an army better, leaving the ranged support role for the females.

Captain_Octavius said:
:lol: What about a +1 Morale for every male/female couple in your party?

Tsk, what a filthy mind. I love it.  :twisted:

But more seriously, the reason I think the morale boost would be nice and make sense is not because the Nords are seeing women fight, but figures of fable and legend.

Starting out, the raw recruited female Nord is nothing more than a free-spirited young woman out to seek excitement and fortune in war. She may be following a tradition laid down by her family, accompanying a brother or father or husband, but even more likely it is of her own accord. Head filled with lodge tales about the epic and beautifully tragic shieldmaidens Brnhild or Vi Verundi, the battlefield is something romanticized and glorified to her. She is more of a burden on the army than an aid to it.

By the next tiers, the romance has faded somewhat. She has seen battle and come to understand just how Brnild or Vi Verundi met their fates in the service to their jarls. She has come to accept her own limitations as well. She will never stand alone against one hundred foes and fight for hours to buy her lord a chance for escape. Yet, she is not willing to give up the battlefield. She is a Nord. The blood of dragons flows through her veins. Pride, both her own and her families, would not allow it. So, she takes an active effort to cease being a star-eyed burden and aid her fellow soldiers however she can. She trains in spear and shield and sword or travels with the hunters to scout out and harass the foe.

She proves her worth in the next few tiers and by the final tier is a force to be reckoned with. To the eyes of her fellow Nord, she has become the dream her younger self had abandoned. The honored shield maiden who stands proud and equal among the men, steadfast and loyal, the stone to which all other soldiers can brace against when the winds of battle batter at them. The valkyrja flitting swiftly through the misty woods like something more spirit than flesh, so often ahead of the army that when they catch up to her it is to find her standing over the bodies of their fallen foes like one of the old god's own cup barer's come down to take the worthy away.

That is why they'd get the morale bonus. Y'know, provided it could even be done.

Captain_Octavius said:
Nice read. Personally, the idea just occurred to me to make the female troop line completely ranged. The reasoning behind it would be that males by nature tend to have more physical strength and more weight, and thus suit a melee role in an army better, leaving the ranged support role for the females.

Agreed, in part, hence the notion of using them as fast skirmishers or back rank infantry instead of frontline troops. The idea of shield maidens holding the line is more that if the front ranks fall, the maidens can hold out and keep the enemy occupied while the army rallies. They might die buying the army that time, but then every epic about shield maidens ends with a heroic death, so that comes with the territory.

I don't really want female troops to supplant the pre-existing male soldiers in anyway, but to compliment them.

One of the things I really hate about M&B, one of the very few things, is that the creators for some reason didn't make Calradia equal (between the sexes, that is). Just because our medieval period was full of chauvinist idiots doesn't mean that a videogame portraying a fictional land has to be. I would like to see a mod where this issue has been fixed. A mod that didn't make any differance between male and female troops and lords. I'd install that mod and no other.

Count Jyland said:
One of the things I really hate about M&B, one of the very few things, is that the creators for some reason didn't make Calradia equal (between the sexes, that is). Just because our medieval period was full of chauvinist idiots doesn't mean that a videogame portraying a fictional land has to be. I would like to see a mod where this issue has been fixed. A mod that didn't make any differance between male and female troops and lords. I'd install that mod and no other.

I bid you, take that idealistic crap elsewhere.

:grin:

God, this thread made me think of the Life of Brian so much.

FRANCIS: Yeah. I think Judith's point of view is very valid, Reg, provided the Movement never forgets that it is the inalienable right of every man--

STAN: Or woman.

FRANCIS: Or woman... to rid himself--

STAN: Or herself.

FRANCIS: Or herself.

REG: Agreed.

FRANCIS: Thank you, brother.

STAN: Or sister.

FRANCIS: Or sister. Where was I?

REG: I think you'd finished.

FRANCIS: Oh. Right.

REG: Furthermore, it is the birthright of every man--

STAN: Or woman.

Ooh. Maturity burn. I resent resemble those remarks! Er.

In any case, greymanelor, increased female integration in the ranks would be interesting. You might want to look at how monnikje put together his troop tree in Floris--it has a whole branch of female mercenaries. Also, I concur with what Octavius said: you do write quite well.

Count Jyland said:
Very funny! :smile: I'll bring this up again when you're mature enough to discuss it, shall I?

I'll bite.

It just doesn't fit. Calradia is a place where sheer power is almost the only thing that is important. It's all about warfare. Like I said before, on average women are weaker than men, and less fit for warfare. So it only makes sense that women in Calradia are not equal. The vast majority of women (both in the present and in history) are subordinate to/dependent on men in times of anarchy and violence.

Captain_Octavius said:
Drawing a bow does require a lot of upper-body strength though. I don't mean to say that women can't be archers, but using ranged weapons isn't equatable to physical weakness.

Crossbows, maybe? I quite like the current Native female troop line up to 'camp defender', though I agree that some variety would be better. I always wondered why Native didn't have a unit called 'Valkyrie', it's such an evocative and obvious name for the top-tier female warrior.

Cool thread in general.

Culturally, women could be trained to be just as brutal and violence-prone as men.  Most cultures have never supported that notion, however.

A woman warrior or combatant is not unrealistic physically.  Currently, it seems improbable because of cultural institutions and mindsets ingrained throughout generations.  Women are peaceful blah blah.

Women naturally have less strength than males, yes.  They have a lower "starting point" in strength and a lower "max" as well.  However, strength does not always overcome skill.  As stated, if women were incapable of using a bow and arrow, a crossbow would be a fine alternative.  Women could become expert sharpshooters with terrific accuracy.  Male and female genetics won't make men the naturally better shooters, just simple practice and natural skill will.

In addition, though many fantasy genres play up the concept of "female agility," aka rogue roles, I don't think that we have to fallback on that role to be realistic.  A woman warrior is quite realistic.  Sword combat isn't all about putting 100% of your strength behind a blow, it has skill involved as well.  Yes, strength plays a determining factor in winning out blow for blow, but technique can overcome that.  There are many men that are physically weaker (even by extreme amounts) than other men, but still beat them in martial arts or other combat situations.  Physically weak women are just as capable as physically weak men.

Break down those cultural norms, dawgz.  However, if you're going for cultural realism, sure, protest the use of female warriors.

Don't forget weight. Especially in the western medieval type of warfare, strength and weight were pretty important because of the big reliance on brute force. At least more than for example Japanese warfare, which relied a bit more on proper technique.

hicisred said:
A woman warrior or combatant is not unrealistic physically.  Currently, it seems improbable because of cultural institutions and mindsets ingrained throughout generations.  Women are peaceful blah blah.

That's not only cultural, it's also biologic. Women are the ones that get pregnant, and they seem the natural biological choice to take care of the children too (breast feeding). Hence it's logical that if someone needs to stay at home to watch after the kids etc it will be the female.

But ofcourse, cultural norms affect evolution, which determines the biology, which again influences cultural norms and so on... I don't think it's possible to tell which came first, they are too much intertwined.

Still, I always must protest against the over-idealistic idea that the differences in roles between males and females are 100% cultural and thus completely subjective. I agree that men and women must have the same rights and the same chances and opportunities (in the real world), but to deny that there is a biological difference that (on average) affects the ability (and thus also desire) to take on certain roles, is a case of being blinded by ideology in my opinion. (Not saying that you do that though, just talking in general here)

Ah, weight too.  I sort of was adding that to "brute force" / overall strength.

In terms of staying home and taking care of children, women warriors could still birth children, but I'd imagine that would be during times of peace.  If I were to invent a fantasy culture (if I wanted women to have a prevalent military role), it'd be something like...

Women and men have specific roles based on their fighting capabilities (some men slip into the more traditional female fighting roles and vice versa, depending on genetics and skill).  During peace, the most accomplished men and women fighters are matched up specifically to procreate and create even stronger offspring (you know, the whole genetics survival of the fittest ****). Older men and women rear the children, especially during war time.

Other annoying logistics that I don't feel like fiddling with....but uhh...yea.  Basically, I wasn't stressing pure equality (I know you know this), but sometimes there will be overlapping.  That overlapping would be rarer, of course. 

Anyways, I wouldn't mind the option to add female troops to my game to spice things up.  Maybe form a mobile harem for my King. 

Back
Top Bottom