Mod Native or Viking conquest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello. I hope that I post this on the right place. I,m in my final year in gymnasium now and has as some kind of "exam" to make a mod for Mount and Blade. I have never made a mod before and to be honest I cant code python but I know the basics of C# and and a little bit of JavaScript. From what I have read you dont really need to code that much to make a mod anyway. I have read some tutorials and such about how to do it and got ModSys set up but I cant decide if I should make it for viking conquest or native? I,m planing of making some kind of Swedish civil war mod with just the Swedish map and 3 factions with no boats and no need for any real Viking Conquest features, so I,m a bit worried that making it in viking conquest will just make it harder for myself with ways more unnecessary stuff that I wont need that might just confuse me or be in the way. On the other hand it would be really cool to be able to make "events" (or what is it called in mod terms?) Is it possible to copy event code from VC and paste into native? is making those events too hard anyway? what is you guys recommendations and why? feel free to give your ideas and opinions!

Thanks

its MBScript (Mount and Blade Scripting Language). It is neither Python or anything else. A scripting language that happens to use Python to parse it and build the .txt used by the game API.

so you need to study tutorials in this forum about MBScript and the other related topics on M&B modding, like how to use OpenBRF for the assets (like weapons and houses), and so on. You wont find help on the general web by checking Python.

You can use Native modsys for sure. It will make it easier on you as most tutorials and OSP code available is for that one.

And forget about "wont need to code much". That is only for mods that are a asset replacement or focus on plug-ins (copy & paste ready code from other OSP). The moment you start thinking about your own features you are already over that, so you will need to learn the basics and code stuff as well. Like "I only want 3 factions" -> need to read tutorial on how to create factions and do bunch of code changes just for that one.

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,240255.0.html
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,171.0.html

And keep things simple. You dont have years or hundreds of hours to build your mod, right? KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid). It is a basic rule for coding that also applies to modding, ya know?  :mrgreen:

Baby steps, do small things, make sure to test and keep backups, and go from there. And keep a eye on your timeline, as you dont have the freedom most people here have to work as they wish for months/years.

Thanks for answering! Yeah I will be doing small steps at the time :smile: also the factions are already there so I guess I just have to change small parts of it? Thats what I meant with not so much coding. I don't have to write so much code "from scratch". About the time I have this school year on me and its expected to take 100 hours or slightly more so not to much time
:sad: What do you say about the native vs viking conquest thing? Do you have any ideas about the event things? (I mean the event and battles that comes in the storyline that they also used a little in awoiaf)

esjb said:
What do you say about the native vs viking conquest thing?

Native will be easier for you, simpler to ask for help on the Q&A thread as well. You can use the QUEST system from the engine or your own code, whatever is easier. Events themselves you handle with triggers. That will be covered on the tutorials you are studying.

once you start to do stuff and need help them use this https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,6575.0.html

remember that people cant see your computer or read your mind. It is your job to ask questions that make sense (you need to show the code, logs, explain stuff, etc).

if your project can be made public then you should use Github (or similar) and open source it. Makes it easier to ask for help as well.
:arrow: https://github.com/

One big problem for him will be the world map, he needs the region of VC which is probably why he is even thinking about using VC as a base for his mod. He would need to create a new world map for the needed region since he can't use the VC one for Native.

[Bcw]Btm_Earendil said:
he can't use the VC one for Native.

if he wants the assets all he needs to do is publish his mod as a submod, it doesnt matter which source (modsys) he is using. He can read about it on VC modding section of the forum.

Besides that there are plenty of free assets that he can use, maybe even Brytenwalda assets/map/etc among others, he will have to check what is the scope of course.

[Bcw]Btm_Earendil said:
One big problem for him will be the world map, he needs the region of VC which is probably why he is even thinking about using VC as a base for his mod. He would need to create a new world map for the needed region since he can't use the VC one for Native.

I will have to make my own map anyway. Sweden is sadly not in VC :sad: the reason why I,m considering VC is since they already have the events. Like the random events poping up and the triggers that they use in the storyline that tells me to go to a certain battle and the prepared battles like when you protect the village against the vikings

esjb said:
[Bcw]Btm_Earendil said:
I will have to make my own map anyway. Sweden is sadly not in VC :sad: the reason why I,m considering VC is since they already have the events. Like the random events poping up and the triggers that they use in the storyline that tells me to go to a certain battle and the prepared battles like when you protect the village against the vikings
In that case just take Native ^^
You can port all these little things at a later stage of development without any bigger problems.

[Bcw]Btm_Earendil said:
esjb said:
[Bcw]Btm_Earendil said:
In that case just take Native ^^
You can port all these little things at a later stage of development without any bigger problems.

Thank you

Hello again! So after a bit procrastinating and working with other stuff I finally got started. it dident take long until I ran into problems. I,m following the official guide from 2006 which ofcourse is a bit outdated but I needed somewhere to get started.
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?board=12.0
Already at guide number 2 this became an issue since my code dident look as the one in the guide but I thought I could work my way around it.
first of I saw that there is 2 numbers instead of one at the end when making icons so which one am I supposed to change to make it size 5? is it height and width nowdays or?

this is my line ("new_icon",0,"map_town_a", 0.35,0),

later they told me to put my new city between castle line and trainingground. since the text now is different I decided to put it above castles among the other towns
("town_13","Rivacheg",icon_town|pf_town, no_menu, pt_none, fac_neutral,0,ai_bhvr_hold,0,(64.8, 113.7),[], 60),
  ("town_14","Halmar",  icon_town_steppe|pf_town, no_menu, pt_none, fac_neutral,0,ai_bhvr_hold,0,(55.5, -45),[], 135),
  ("new_town","Osby",  icon_new_icon|pf_town, no_menu, pt_none, fac_neutral,0,ai_bhvr_hold,0,(-1, -1),[], 135),

Osby is my new town. Anyway now when I try to build the module I get this message
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "process_init.py", line 2, in <module>
    from process_operations import *
  File "C:\Module_system 1.171\process_operations.py", line 18, in <module>
    from module_parties import *
  File "C:\Module_system 1.171\module_parties.py", line 92, in <module>
    ("new_town","Osby",  icon_new_icon|pf_town, no_menu, pt_none, fac_neutral,0,ai_bhvr_hold,0,(-1, -1),[], 135),
NameError: name 'icon_new_icon' is not defined
  File "process_global_variables.py", line 12, in <module>
Exporting strings...
Exporting skills...
Exporting tracks...
Exporting animations...
Exporting meshes...
Exporting sounds...
Exporting skins...
  File "process_map_icons.py", line 6, in <module>
Exporting faction data...
Exporting item data...

it seems to be something wrong with "new_icon"?

Before modifying any file reads the headers, there are instructions on what each field is used for.
For future compilations related to icons and templates, note that the compiler must first know the location of the icon:
("new_town", "Osby", icon_new_icon | pf_town, no_menu, pt_none, fac_neutral, 0, ai_bhvr_hold, 0, (- 1, -1), [], 135),
add the icon first and then modify the template, or wait for the error and compile again, the icon id will have been added to 'ID_map_icons' and the compiler will have the reference, i.e. it will be defined.

Thanks for your quick reply (and sorry for my late response)
I think I need a broader context here.
What I have done so far is:
1. In module_map_icons.py I have added followingg line:
map_icons = [..
:
("new_icon",0,"map_town_a", 5.0,snd_footstep_grass),
:

and in module_parties.py
parties = [
:

:
So I have added the location I think?
Result is that scripting error shown earlier.

However I tried to change the new_town above to use an existing icon and ran the build_module.py and voila - no errors from script engine.
However the town does not exist on map :sad:.
And here comes the funny stuff: We exported this directory as directory for mod in module_info.py.

export_dir = "C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/MountBlade Warband/Modules/Svenskainbordeskriget"

But a load of new files (inlcuding town Osby) are located in the parent folder - ie "C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/MountBlade Warband/modules"
so when I launch the game it doesn't actually launch the mod, just the files that I copied from native, and therefore I cant see if the town appears.
Do you have any idea what I have done wrong?
Kindest regards

missing a slash "/" here
Code:
...s/Svenskainbordeskriget/"

you need to add things in parts. Remember baby steps?

add a new icon
compile
add a new town
compile

also a town needs coordinates. See the comments on the top of module_parties.py for what each field does. You cant just say to the game: add this town somewhere, cool? You need to say: add this town at X=100 and Y=-200 with rotation=30 degrees

kalarhan said:
missing a slash "/" here
Code:
...s/Svenskainbordeskriget/"

you need to add things in parts. Remember baby steps?

add a new icon
compile
add a new town
compile

also a town needs coordinates. See the comments on the top of module_parties.py for what each field does. You cant just say to the game: add this town somewhere, cool? You need to say: add this town at X=100 and Y=-200 with rotation=30 degrees

Oh yeah, I missed the "/" thanks! I did have the coordinates -1-1. I got it to work, apparently the other mistake was too use "map_town_a". When I changed it to "City" it worked :grin:. The only thing I find weird is that when I go to the town and walk around the streets I can find myself there as a npc

Back
Top Bottom