Mod menu on intro window of M&B

Users who are viewing this thread

Janus

*spicy* *camper*
Administrator
Didn't see this mentioned elsewhere, so I figured I'd throw this out for people making their own mods. Make a new folder in the "Modules" folder alongside the "Native" folder, keeping the subfolder structure of the "Native" folder, and name it whatever you want. Put your modded files into it rather than directly modding in the "Native" folder. Then, when you start M&B, you'll notice a dropdown list at the top letting you choose which mod to use, along with "Native" as a choice. Works with Toshiro's Vallachian/Ottoman mod as far as I can tell, played a bit with it.
Also, apparently M&B keeps the save games seperate for each mod (and creates the folders itself to seperate them), so your regular characters won't show up in the savegame menu when running your mod, and vice-versa.

Looks like a rather handy way for mod-makers to share their creations without the possibility of screwing original files up. I have to note that I haven't tested this method much though, so there may be issues with it.
Still, nice feature to already have in place for the game this early in it's development.
Now I just hope the official mod tools actually do get released soon. :wink:

MnB_mod_menu.png

Janus said:
Didn't see this mentioned elsewhere, so I figured I'd throw this out for people making their own mods. Make a new folder in the "Modules" folder alongside the "Native" folder, keeping the subfolder structure of the "Native" folder, and name it whatever you want. Put your modded files into it rather than directly modding in the "Native" folder. Then, when you start M&B, you'll notice a dropdown list at the top letting you choose which mod to use, along with "Native" as a choice. Works with Toshiro's Vallachian/Ottoman mod as far as I can tell, played a bit with it.
Also, apparently M&B keeps the save games seperate for each mod (and creates the folders itself to seperate them), so your regular characters won't show up in the savegame menu when running your mod, and vice-versa.

Looks like a rather handy way for mod-makers to share their creations without the possibility of screwing original files up. I have to note that I haven't tested this method much though, so there may be issues with it.
Still, nice feature to already have in place for the game this early in it's development.
Now I just hope the official mod tools actually do get released soon. :wink:

MnB_mod_menu.png
:grin: You sir, are my hero.

Very nice discovery, Janus.

Now there is no reason to have three copies of M&B on my computer as I can have vanilla M&B, Mag7 mod, and my 'own version' all in the same spot.

A big thanks to Armagan for this, also. Dang, he is getting good. :grin:

Narcissus said:
A big thanks to Armagan for this, also. Dang, he is getting good. :grin:

Agreed. Being a programmer myself, I must say I'm rather impressed with what he's accomplished thus far with M&B. Can't wait to see how the final game will look if what we've got is only v0.703 so far.

*Whistles* Luckily none of the modders discovered that in .632... Fantastic non-the-less, altought back then troops.txt was only read from the native folder

Oh, as another note... apparently you do have to have all the files which were in the "Native" folder also in the mod folder, or else it will crash. :eek:

Just copying one file into the new mod folder and changing it won't work. In fact, if you do that the mod probably won't even show up in the mod list in the intro window. I think there's one or more specific files which the EXE checks for on startup in each subfolder of "Modules" to determine whether it shows it in the mod list.

So of course, just make a copy of the "Native" folder and rename it, then mod to your heart's content. :cool:

Damn you for beating me to posting this xD
Good thing you did, I might not have.

I use this alot for editing with the unofficial editor, or other mods.
Just copy the native and replace the files with it from the mod.

It's an awsome feature, I have my own little modified native folder, that way one is vanilla M&B and if I screw something up I can just copy over the files.

GhostThaxian said:
I use this alot for editing with the unofficial editor, or other mods.

I knew I couldn't be the only one who had found that. I'm just surprised nobody had posted about it yet. I've only known for a few days myself, but I assume it was added in back at version 0.700.

uuuuuu nice one janus!! now i can have lots and lots of mods on my comp. with the expense of a few kb.

Well, not that it doesn't deserve to be mentioned again, but...

http://forums.taleworlds.com/viewtopic.php?t=1330

:wink:

Of course in 6.32 the troops file (or items, can't remember which) was only read out of Native, so it didn't work quite right.

Huh, so it's actually been there for a while then, eh? Looks like your find got mostly overlooked by people for some reason back in May.

Ancient knowledge has been unearthed, and it's practitioners rooted out.
[/movie announcer voice] :wink:

Also looks like Armagan fixed the troop.txt issue and made it so the savegames are seperated by mod like you suggested.

Janus said:
Huh, so it's actually been there for a while then, eh? Looks like your find got mostly overlooked by people for some reason back in May.
The reason was that it didn't work back then. :smile: The dropdown was there but had no effect, whatever you chose the data always loaded from 'Native'.

Hardclyff said:
The reason was that it didn't work back then. :smile: The dropdown was there but had no effect, whatever you chose the data always loaded from 'Native'.

I think it was just the one file. The rest of them loaded out of the specified directory. I think...

So it wouldnt work fine in earlier versions than v.700?

This is a great idea, now can play several mods without having 5 backups installed :grin: . This way of "choose&play" modules reminds me Morrowind´s one, wich is a great way to save Kb and brains effort (these hang-overs after this ´week of holydays are killing me).

I knew I couldn't be the only one who had found that. I'm just surprised nobody had posted about it yet. I've only known for a few days myself, but I assume it was added in back at version 0.700

Heh, you're the only one brave enough to tell, I figured everyone knew about it and i'd get a thread full of "Omg we all kano bowt thiz dumarz olo"

xD

Good thing you did though, otherwise the ones who didn't know would never.
:eek:

I'm trying to play some old mods for .751 and there is no drop down menu. Is there something I am doing wrong? I know the mods are there I just don't know how to access them. I had drop down menus on both .808 and .892. So if anyone could please reply soon. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom