SP Antiquity Mod Announcement: The Illiad

Users who are viewing this thread

Howzer

Recruit
Map WIP's:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Play as an great heroe in the epic war between the Trojans and the Achaeans!

Features to be added:
-All new Units!
-All new Items!
-New and improved AI!
-All new Map of the Troad, the area surrounding Troy!
-Siege Battles! Defend your cities and sack those of your foes!
-Raid your enemies camps to plunder supplies!
-Gain rank in the armies of the Achaeans or the Trojans and recruit better, stronger troops, gain the service of other heroes, and ultimately, conquer your enemies!
-The aid of the Gods! Powerful characters who will help or hurt you!
-Take control of enemy cities and maintain that of your own!
-Chariots! Cast spears at your enemies as your ride by swiftly!
-Command your allies in new ways, on and off the battlefield!
-Resolve entire battles through intense one-on-one duels!
And more!

Dev Team:
+Howzer

Want to join? PM, E-mail, or instant message. AIM: Howzer36.

Damien said:
'Eventually' answers the question of "When." What you were asked is "How."

I haven't figured out how yet, but eventually I will.

Working on a map right now, then i'm gonna work on troop types and narrowing down the item list to things i can keep.

Hmmm many of those features seems impossible at the moment. But who knows? When the next patch and tools come out. It might be possible after all. Go for it man.

Howzer:

Sounds interesting.

Just a hint: Try use Ctrl-S. Though you might need to tidy up the shores a bit first... they are extremely spikey atm heh

Well, nice ideas, but I doubt you'll be able to fulfill half of what you posted. One can always dream, though. :smile:

If this was a mod directed at the Illiad then all you'd have for a map would be the Greek Encampment and ships and Troy and its surrounding area and it would last a few days and be over. The Illiad itself is just one long part of a series of Epic Poems including the Odyssey that describes the various things about the tale.

However the Illiad itself is only concerned with the events towards the end of the siege from roughly where Agamemnon takes Briseis from Achilleus to retain his own honour after being forced to give up his own prize to stop Apollo Far Shooter's plague that had struck the Greek Camp. The Illiad ends with the burial of Hektor after his death at the hands of Achilleus.

Anyway the rest of the books, apart from the Odyssey, have been lost to time. The story we know is mainly from pieced together parts of other scrolls, plays, and histories from other authors of the ancient world.

Of course I cannot come up with a different name of the top of my head... so the Illiad would do for a signifier of the time the thingy is set in.

hmm, some nice ideas Howzer

And people, don't say it can't be done; most of the thing he mentioned are already in other mods (except Chariots, new AI, and taking control of other cities (but I think that could be done))

zelda12 said:
If this was a mod directed at the Illiad then all you'd have for a map would be the Greek Encampment and ships and Troy and its surrounding area and it would last a few days and be over. The Illiad itself is just one long part of a series of Epic Poems including the Odyssey that describes the various things about the tale.

nope, seige of Troy took years, and the illiad has much more to do with that.

and either way, it could be based on the real war where Troy was destroyed, i don't know how much was unearthed though.

sounds good....but how are you gonna get all the stuff in?it could take a long time
nice pictures of the world map thtough

Patrick Blackbird said:
zelda12 said:

nope, seige of Troy took years, and the illiad has much more to do with that.

and either way, it could be based on the real war where Troy was destroyed, i don't know how much was unearthed though.

Aye the siege of troy did take longer, my point was that the Illiad itself, the book, is concerned with only a few days action towards the end of the siege.

Well, i posted this somewhere else and the the events that started the war happened before Achilles was born and the war didn't end until after he died. For the mod, i'm going to skip the part where they gather all the armies and unite the Achaeans, and skip straight to the part where they start raiding the Troad(everything i have picuted in the map). During the whole story, they actually raided hundreds of cities before they even reached Troy(Illium), then the siege of Troy took another 10 years. They also raided many cities while sieging Troy.
My plan is to make the mod as accurate to Homer's book the Illiad as possible, less focus on realism and more focus on action, myth, and really big battles.
Oh, and i just thought of a new idea. Dueling to resolve battles. You can already send your troops to fight for you, why not jsut take on the enemy sergeant and do all the fighting for your troops...

And if some people are concerned about how I am going to get all these features in game, I've already been messing around with the editor, and a lot of the "fancier" stuff i've listed, I've only listed because I saw possibility for it.

In the mean time, i would appreciate it if anyone is willing to make some item graphics for me. Skins, models, icons, etc. I need Greek helmets, tunics, chestplates, greaves, bracers, spears(lots of spears) and greek shortswords.

Thorgrim said:
Just a hint: Try use Ctrl-S. Though you might need to tidy up the shores a bit first... they are extremely spikey atm heh
Yeah i saw that the map editor said smoothing was kinda buggy, so i didn't mess with that yet.

Well, nice ideas, but I doubt you'll be able to fulfill half of what you posted. One can always dream, though.
Well, you have to remember a good mod takes a long time to make. And i'm planning this for a sort of long term project, so hopefully by the end i can get everything i promise into the game.

Aye the siege of troy did take longer, my point was that the Illiad itself, the book, is concerned with only a few days action towards the end of the siege.

Well, the book also tells almost the entire backstory to the whole thing, so i think Illiad is a good name. Besides, the name Illiad is based off the name Illium(The City of Troy). So regardless, it pretty much fits

DynastyFenix said:
this mod sounds awsome, maybe i can lend you a hand sometime in the near future*
Cool, thanks man. Same thing goes to you. I can't wait for some china action. I dunno how many hours i've wasted on RTK and Dynasty Warriors...

You should try politics :smile: but I kinda like a mod with goals that....not easily reachable :grin:
Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. If you would like, I have a link to a GREAT site about clothing, armor and weaponry from that era...

Back
Top Bottom