Mobs

Users who are viewing this thread

Timberwolf

Banned
Old Guard
So ever since the first game came out, it's always been the same thing that's bothered me the most. No one I've seen so far has spoken about it so I may be the only one?

When you're in a battle and your party gets wiped or you get isolated and there are 20-30 guys fighting you, they don't act like normal people. In fact even when you're NOT alone fighting them, they still act the same way: with a mosh pit mentality. Everyone just starts chest-bumping each other and gets so close they can't even swing their swords. If you're alone, this is the part of the battle where you just give up or use health cheats until you beat them and try again on another battlefield because of how crazily one-sided things can be.

Since this is not a rant post, I'm going to ask 2 quick questions and maybe open a dialogue about this. I'm not sure if this is even in the right forum section but they follow:

a) is there a mod that can fix this or does this engine even support AI soldiers giving themselves some spacing and valuing their own lives?
b) does anyone thing this will be addressed in the upcoming Bannerlord?

Maybe I'm the only one that's always struggled with M&B's AI, but they drive me nuts. It's especially worse because you can't setup ambushes effectively or poison enemy food supplies or send prostitutes with daggers in the night before a big battle to kill a few officers or demoralize the enemy forces. Does anyone know if this is being addressed or even considered?

Thanks in advance!

There are some mods (Total Conversions , not for Native tho) that rework the AI to make it "smarter" but I don't know their names , but sometimes they do that exact thing.

The AI will be reworked for Bannerlord as they said , they will fix a lot of AI relative problems from previous M&B's , so , you probably should hold a little bit if you want better AI

I've never found it to be a problem. When it's 20 vs 1, rushing in and wrestling them down is not a bad option. The only real issue there, imo, is the inability to run in the game. You'd normally be able to just sprint away. Though, allowing sprinting might make cheesing the AI too easy lol. It's already easy enough, if you ask me.

It does bug me that they don't try to maintain good spacing, but they still do tend to bounce back and forth as they fight. It only looks bad when it's just all infantry vs all infantry, but that almost never happens since infantry are generally the least useful troops. I tend to have very few, if any, in my army.

Sprinting is already a mechanic in warband but most people don't know it's there because it doesn't have a shift key attached to it.

When you move forward on flat ground, you speed up and hit a max speed similar to human sprinting speed. If you're naked this can be quite fast and you might take 2-3 seconds to reach it, but if you're wearing a ton of armour and carrying weapons it can be fairly slow. Most people carry weapons for all 4 slots, use really heavy armour, and put barely any points in agility/athletics and then wonder why they're so slow.

jacobhinds said:
Sprinting is already a mechanic in warband but most people don't know it's there because it doesn't have a shift key attached to it.

When you move forward on flat ground, you speed up and hit a max speed similar to human sprinting speed. If you're naked this can be quite fast and you might take 2-3 seconds to reach it, but if you're wearing a ton of armour and carrying weapons it can be fairly slow. Most people carry weapons for all 4 slots, use really heavy armour, and put barely any points in agility/athletics and then wonder why they're so slow.
It's not really a sprinting mechanic that way, though. There's no way to temporarily out-run enemies unless you will ALWAYS outrun them. You can drop your weapons, but usually that won't be enough. You'd also be out of weapons that way :razz:

I have done a pure AGI build before for testing it out and you end up running really fast. Like REALLY fast. Even with some armour and weapons equipped. It is still not sprinting, imo, it is just moving faster.

SAUS said:
jacobhinds said:

It's not really a sprinting mechanic that way, though. There's no way to temporarily out-run enemies unless you will ALWAYS outrun them. You can drop your weapons, but usually that won't be enough. You'd also be out of weapons that way :razz:

I have done a pure AGI build before for testing it out and you end up running really fast. Like REALLY fast. Even with some armour and weapons equipped. It is still not sprinting, imo, it is just moving faster.

I'm having cRPG flashbacks.

SAUS said:

The problem with temporarily outrunning enemies though is that this implies a stamina mechanic, and once you have stamina it's a slippery slope to making the game an arcadey generic pile of garbage. And if the AI can use it too then there isn't really much point if all you want is to escape melee blobs.

jacobhinds said:
SAUS said:

The problem with temporarily outrunning enemies though is that this implies a stamina mechanic, and once you have stamina it's a slippery slope to making the game an arcadey generic pile of garbage. And if the AI can use it too then there isn't really much point if all you want is to escape melee blobs.
I agree. I don't think I would want these mechanics in the game, I just mean that you would likely try your best not to get mobbed in real life by sprinting away at maximum speed :razz:

Well I thank you all for your responses. I too saw the Bannerlord videos and haven't been very impressed with the AI. It did look like some of the animations might be more fluid (hard to tell in the vids) but the overall concept is still the same. No one seems to fight in ranks or protect each other's flank with shields. In fact, I saw zero flanking in the videos and the AI didn't seem like it changed much in terms of large-scale battles. I don't want to be hyper-critical as the game isn't even out yet, and the team has my respect as they've made one of my favorite games.

So that said, I guess I'll just wait and hope for the best in Bannerlord. At least they put in crime and economics :smile: :smile: :smile: .

Ah yes, feeling outnumbered  :wink: ?? want to even the odds ??  Well well  :neutral: ... welcome to Realism... This is how medieval battles do take place.... Mad scrambles... rushes.... did u really expect to outfight 10 peasants with a long staff standing at a position and waving madly like Ip Man  :lol:  :lol: :lol:

Use your party members smartly and even the odds. If you are alone....... keep moving and slash at them.... always fight to your strengths. Block , strike.... you will always be faster if u time the strokes right. I like the conclusion of sieges when u have to go against castle defenders undefended. The Nords are a menace always !!  :shifty:

Hemu - II said:
did u really expect to outfight 10 peasants with a long staff standing at a position and waving madly like Ip Man?

That's not what the OP is talking about. In fact in warband it's really easy to fight an infinite number of peasants by doing just that. If you're running away from them they blob up into a group and they can hardly land any hits if you just keep backpedalling, which is the problem:
Timberwolf said:
when there are 20-30 guys fighting you, they don't act like normal people.

They said they were going to fix this in bannerlord but it looks disappointingly similar in gameplay videos.

Back
Top Bottom