Mipmap fading [new version of Light Mipmap Mod! pics pg4]

Users who are viewing this thread

gutekfiutek

Knight at Arms
[EDIT]
New "dark mipmap" version downloadhttp://www.sendspace.com/file/nm4m9y

New "light mipmap" version downloadhttp://www.sendspace.com/file/ejyj11

Please leave your comments - maybe this effect is too strong, how do you like night battles (maybe its too dark?), maybe do some screenshots if you find something strange.

This is not finished yet.

New version look like this (like all pictures from pg2):

day14zn9.jpg

Hi
My first post:smile:
I changed foliage and ground textures - now trees/foliage have correct alpha (no black outlines).
Also I used  mipmap fading to add some depth - so now distant trees and terrain are lighter. Also terrain have "velvet" effect - looks nice for me.
I desaturated things a little bit.
It is only example/experiment how mipmaps can be used, i need to tweak this  little bit more.

Here are textures:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/5quu7u

EDIT: Comparision between old and new map textures and tutorials.

comparisionne3.jpg

mipmaptutorialwj6.jpg

foliagetutorialyr7.jpg

Examples:

mipmapfadetowhite1pf1.jpg

mipmapfadetowhite4lg5.jpg

mipmapfadetowhite2xy1.jpg

mipmapfadetowhite3ng2.jpg

And here is experiment with fading mipmaps into black + modified sky. Everythig near player is lighter. Maybe some  "dark" mods (like Expanded gameplay/TLD) could use this?
Textures:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/1aijej

Examples:

mipmapfadetoblack2xz3.jpg

mipmapfadetoblack3gi7.jpg

mipmapfadetoblackzw5.jpg

Heh,

All that foliage... I don't have any bushes creeping out from the grass in my M&B... How does that work? Anyway, it looks great indeed. I am going to try it out now!

Servitor

Very nice but for some reason the world map textures make the poly edges more pronounced. Rez is 1920x1200.

Original

gutekfiutek texture

Reminds me of early morning dew on the ground.

Brilliant work, I love it when you get someone clever posting up new surprises like this.  :grin:

The last feature you posted - getting darker away from the player - looked very effective. Is there a way you could apply this across the whole map, including the immediate vacinity of the player just for night time, so that night time looks more realistic? At the moment, native it really isn't dark enough. They've just dimmed the lights slightly and changed he sky box.

Probably it is possible to change mipmap fading color by code:smile:
I'm artist so i don't know how difficult it would be.
Now its possible to fade to lighter color - to have "foggy"/"velvet"  look, and to fade to black - to make game look "spooky"
It takes few hours to change all textures in game and tweak it.
However it should be last thing that is done to textures - mipmaps can be accidently overriden during texture saving.

In winter scenes this can be used on buildings textures to make "frosty" look. Simple by fading objects to white.

Btw sorry for my english...  Still learning.:smile:

Quite nice textures. I'll download at the first "dark sky" version, and then the normal textures.

Inukshuk said:
Is there a way you could apply this across the whole map, including the immediate vacinity of the player just for night time, so that night time looks more realistic? At the moment, native it really isn't dark enough. They've just dimmed the lights slightly and changed he sky box.
Normally, you would use black fog, and turn skybox fogging off.

Good news - since .9xx you can vary fog distance and color via operations in module system, at last you can deal with that annoying default fog.

Bad news - it is, as usually, broken.
If you set the fog color to zero, it appears blue! ways too bright for the task, it is brighter than the night skybox, so unfortunately we can't use it.

I love it when a random guy with talent joins out of nowhere... must be the rule again.. for every 9 idiots who join the modding forum, we get someone clever! :grin:

looks very good.

I like very much!

The terrain, that is.  I don't like the sky fading, it just looks weird and dark, and might be good for a fantasy undead mod, but not native.

But the adjusted terrain mipmaps make the game look far, far better.

Back
Top Bottom