SP - General Minister in Lord's Hall: A remote communication system to reduce frustration!

Users who are viewing this thread

five bucks

Knight at Arms
The most frustrating thing about playing as a ruler is you can't send messages, or have people come visit you, like a king could in real life. Instead you have to travel yourself to the location of anyone you want to talk to, and you don't even know where they actually are, which can mean a lot of time wasted trying to find them.

This makes it very difficult to make marriage offers, hire mercenaries, and especially recruit vassals, while you are also trying to recruit troops, sell loot and prisoners, manage fiefs, finish issue quests, kill looters, clear hideouts and fight multiple wars at once! Here is a suggestion to make it stress-free.

Once the player creates a new kingdom, they get a Minister NPC in all their Lord's Halls. Ministers give an immersive way of messaging AI characters.

The first time he meets you, he says:
>Minister: Welcome, my (lord/lady). Your governor has appointed ministers, such as myself, in the halls of your realm to perform administrative duties as your most humble servants. I can gather information on affairs of state, and send messages for you.
Other times, he will say
>Minister: I am honoured by your presence, Your Highness. How may I assist you?
He has three main dialogue options you can choose:

Option 1: Vassal Recruitment
>Player: My realm requires more vassals. Do you know of anyone likely to join me?
>Our spies tell me that Clan (Name A), Clan (Name B), and Clan (Name C) lack lands to their name, and are in disfavour at court. Choose a clan, and I can write a secret message to that clan's leader. It will say why their liege is not worthy of their loyalty, and promise them a reward if they join us. A fast rider will take the message, and should return in a day with their response.
>Compose a message to (Clan Leader Name A/B/C). / On second thought, let me reconsider.
Accepting enters a modified persuasion minigame with the minister. It is just like normal persuasion, except failing a stage is not reported to you until later.
>Certainly, your Highness. I will begin by writing: "Greetings. I, (Playername) of (Kingdomname), have heard of your mistreatment at the hands of your liege..." now, what words should I write to best persuade them that their ruler is unworthy of their loyalty?
>Say this: "I hear they have asked you to perform cruel actions in the past." (Charm, Mercy). / Say this: "Your current master is not known for keeping their word." (Charm, Honor). / Say this: "You know very well that in politics oaths are easily made, and just as easily broken." (Charm, Calculating). / I have changed my mind about this message.
Etc. The rest of the letter composition follows the format of convincing a lord to defect.

When you have completed the message, it is "sent off". To avoid delay changing the outcome of the message, the lord/lady instantly receives the message and makes a decision to join you or not. But for the benefit of the player's immersion, you aren't informed of the conversion/rejection of the lord until a day later, in a circle notification. You can receive one of three notifications - one that it was accepted, one that it was rejected as your words were not convincing enough, and one that it was rejected as your offer was not high enough.

Option 2: Marriage Arrangement
>I seek to arrange a marriage.
>Whom would you like to offer the hand of, my liege?
>Myself. / Clan Member A. / Clan Member B. / Clan Member C. / Never mind.
>Bards passing by the court have mentioned some suitors of marriageable age; let me see... (Lord/Lady Name D,) (Lord/Lady Name E,) and (Lord/Lady Name F,) yes. I can compose a message to their clan leader proclaiming our intention to make a marriage, and how much bride price we (are willing to pay/wish to receive), and my fast-riding messenger should return in a day with their response.
>Send a messenger to (Clan Leader Name D/E/F). / On second thought, let me reconsider.
If you accept, a barter window is opened with your Minister. The marriage offer is decided by the AI instantly. A day later, a circle notification will pop up saying your marriage offer was accepted or rejected.

Option 3: Hiring Mercenaries
>We need mercenaries to fight our wars. What hirelings will die for coin?
>The (Merc clan A, Merc Clan B, and Merc Clan C) are notorious mercenaries in our region, and to my knowledge, are unaffiliated. Simply choose a warband and tell me how much you are willing to pay them, your Highness, and I can have a messenger find their leaders with an offer; we should hear a response in a day.
>Send a messenger to the (Minor Clan A/B/C). / On second thought, let me reconsider.
>Certainly, (milord/milady). What payment shall we offer?
A barter window is opened with your Minister. When you confirm, the mercenary offer is accepted instantly. A day later, a circle notification will pop up saying whether the mercenary offer was accepted or rejected.

Last edited:
This 100%,
- it will add a lot of immersion to the game
- gives you a reason to enter the hall in person
- makes you feel like a king instead of running all the errants yourself
- decreases a lot of frustrations

After this (lower priority):
add a spy master
- inciting rebellions
- assassinate nobles
- replace notables
- give information about garrison strengths and options to sabotage
- fund bandit activity in enemy territory, bigger and more bandit parties to disrupt trade and villager parties

Oh yes, i would like a minister like this at my court. Chasing down other lords and companions gets old very quickly. Not being able to send messages in vanilla is the main reason why i can't play without the diplomacy mod among all the other diplomacy features it brings with it.

Another feature i'd request would be summoning lords within your realm to join you at your court for a minimum time of 24 ingame hours. So you can personally discuss things from your rightful position of power: "I'm the king, you come to me".

After this (lower priority):
add a spy master
- inciting rebellions
- assassinate nobles
- replace notables
- give information about garrison strengths and options to sabotage
- fund bandit activity in enemy territory, bigger and more bandit parties to disrupt trade and villager parties

Love all of this! Scheming like this does remind me of Crusader Kings, which isn't a bad thing. Looking at that game and its plot power mechanic, having friends inside the other empire who are easier to bribe could increase the chances of the plot firing successfully and increase the severity of the plot. Lots of potential in this.

Back
Top Bottom