Minecraft

Users who are viewing this thread

I started making a little series of instructional videos for Minecraft, starting with the Zombies and how to deal with them. Got some nice footage on singleplayer, but damn Windows Movie Maker keeps crashing :mad:

I changed my mind on how to handle the spawn location while playing around with hMod, and finding that people don't spawn exactly on the spawn location but can in fact spawn a short distance away.
So the spawn location is going to be a raised platform with ladders on all sides and sufficient light to keep monsters from spawning on it. So, safe from monsters, but not necessarily safe from other players. It's laid out so that it could be used as a basic arena of sorts if people cared to do so. I added 4 large community chests there for people to use or ignore as they like.
Each player can get a single free stone sword once per login session by typing "/kit mb" into the chat, thanks to hMod; I put up signs to that effect in the spawn area.

The external posts beyond each corner of the platform mark the edge of the spawn protection area; anything inside that can't be changed except by someone with Op privileges.

I still have a bit of further fiddling to do on the server before opening it to the public, and a new improved updated hMod is also supposed to be released tomorrow. So, it will probably be opened after that.

EDIT: I've just learned two new things. First off, creeper explosions can destroy blocks inside the spawn area in SMP (unlike players), so I guess I'll need some obsidian edging for the platform. Second, zombies can climb ladders. So, it's not a completely safe spawn platform, which is fine by me.  :smile:

SootShade said:
****. My home doesn't feel really secure anymore...
For clarification, zombies don't really try to climb ladders, they just try to go straight towards you; if there's a ladder in that path though, they'll go right up it. That makes me wonder if skeletons or creepers (or even spiders) can go up ladders too.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I had just finished my video, but when viewing it, WMM crashed, and when it restarted, the file was corrupt and its not gone!

IM GOING TO STRANGLE SOMETHING CUTE RIGHT NOW! BLAAAHGRHGRHRGRH!

Already sent a bloody email to Notch about it too, goddamnit! :mad:

Comrade Temuzu said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I had just finished my video, but when viewing it, WMM crashed, and when it restarted, the file was corrupt and its not gone!

IM GOING TO STRANGLE SOMETHING CUTE RIGHT NOW! BLAAAHGRHGRHRGRH!

Already sent a bloody email to Notch about it too, goddamnit! :mad:
You're blaming Notch for Windows' fault? :lol:

For those curious, creepers can indeed climb ladders the same as zombies. Based on that, I assume skeletons and zombie pigmen can as well.
The platform has holes all over it now from creepers.  :lol: Good thing I have several backups. I hope I can find some way to properly protect the spawn area from damage of any sort.

Janus said:
For those curious, creepers can indeed climb ladders the same as zombies. Based on that, I assume skeletons and zombie pigmen can as well.
The platform has holes all over it now from creepers.  :lol: Good thing I have several backups. I hope I can find some way to properly protect the spawn area from damage of any sort.

Water elevators?

Back
Top Bottom