Might and Magic: Heroes VII

Users who are viewing this thread

After HoMM VI they can kindly **** off. It's not even that game was bad, I actually really liked it. But they just shrugged off the gamebreaking bugs with "welp, we're now doing VIIth, can't help you with that".

The only thing I actually disliked in V and VI design-wise was that Dungeon from legion of monsters horded by handful of sorcerers turned into edgy dark elves, while at the same time roster of Haven was gradually stripped out of it's defining value, i.e. actual human soldiers. The mechanics they were introducing (well, trying to introduce) were actually fitting for me. Especially like the provinces idea in VI.

Also, 3rd is overrated, 2nd FTW.

Heroes 2 was one of the first games I played

But I still prefer Heroes 3 because it has a random generated maps with makes everything more fun since I dont have friends to play, I hope they add that on Heroes 7

I remember the huge number of maps there was in Heroes III, especially with the addition of its expansion. In Heroes V and VI, there were about ten, and five were unplayable, if I recall correctly.

Never played Might & Magic (maybe an early one as a kid, but I can't identify which it was) but having semi-recently played through Age of Wonders II and Shadow Magic, which I understand is a spin-off series, I'm really quite fond of the genre. I've been wanting to play a M&M game but it seems like the older ones are just old and I may as well Shadow Magic, and the newer games are toss-pot with tons of DRM. Much like AoW:III which was a huge disappointment.

So anyway, hoping this will be good.

I loved 3 and 4, I put so many great hours playing those games. The only issue with them was that after a while the enemy stacks get so big that you just cannot win no matter what making all you have done up until then worthless. I have not played 5 or 6 but user reviews have not been great, King's bounty have been the better games of this genre recently and even they have been falling off the quality level. I will keep an eye on this though, you never know although my expectations are close to 0.

The problem - for me - with 5 and 6 was that they scaled everything back. The maps are smaller, the armies are smaller and the figurines got ****ing huge making everything look even smaller (and thus slower) even more.
Well and 5 had that awful expansion system where each was its own .exe and you wouldn't get the benefits/factions/units/whatever of all expansions in any one game.

Sounds exactly like one of my issues (of many) with Age of Wonders III as opposed to II/Shadow Magic. Why do companies insist on making games worse. :sad:

Austupaio said:
Sounds exactly like one of my issues (of many) with Age of Wonders III as opposed to II/Shadow Magic. Why do companies insist on making games worse. :sad:
Makes the games less niche to the suits if I had to guess.
Less scope -> better digestible for a broader market -> ALL THE MONEY -> realise it's still a niche game but now the original audience doesn't like it either -> kill the series/franchise or reboot as FPS

I have to say I think the art style of VII looks a lot more appealing than the previous two. (Which I've never actually played, only watched LPs of since I instituted a boycott of the franchise when they changed the setting.)

It's not fantastic. But from what I've seen most of the new units and locations look a little less Fantasy-Metal'y, and a little closer to the aesthetics of 3 and 4.

Back
Top Bottom