Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Users who are viewing this thread

Kobrag said:
I just hope the game results in people whining about Rome II levels of faults.  :mrgreen:
Two simple reasons why it's unlikely:
It's not a series where they had ten years time to perfect the formula and simply don't.
They haven't promised the improvements that their customers have been asking for for ten years already and then actually delivered that's a step back.

Kamos32 said:
It's hard to imagine anyone will be quite so prissy as many Total War fans.
Can you blame them? They watch their game grow from one of the most innovative games on the market, to become of the most addictive, replayable, and moddable. Now it has stalled for years.

Imagine in a couple of years we will have the technology to make a sequel that takes place in a sizeable chunk of middle earth with more varying terrain, spanning across several factions with a similar approach, I would wet my pants seeing a huge battle between dwarfs and elves because I would manipulate the dwarf captains to engage with the elves.  :grin:

Russik said:
Imagine in a couple of years we will have the technology to make a sequel that takes place in a sizeable chunk of middle earth with more varying terrain, spanning across several factions with a similar approach, I would wet my pants seeing a huge battle between dwarfs and elves because I would manipulate the dwarf captains to engage with the elves:grin:

The red wedding has een done to death man. ._.

From what I've seen of the LotR MMORPG, the industry already does a good job of designing the setting. Aesthetics has progressed beyond mechanics and gameplay in a lot of cases.

So I realized I don't actually have to buy from Steam and put up with their ridiculous €1 = $1 policy (which in my case means waiting for a big sale to bring the price down to what it actually is supposed to be). I found this game nice and cheap elsewhere and bought it. And you know what? It's actually pretty good, though so far it's little more than AssCreed with orcs. They even have a wispy black-grey eagle vision, aka wraith world or whatever they call it in this, that highlights mobs and color codes them.

Amontadillo said:
Sedericus said:
But it has just launched and I bought it, is that me being an idiot or me just wanting to play a video game I liked the look of?
Both? :razz:

you sir, you can kiss my bummy hole.

sh4d0w 0F M0rD0r R0xz, I am sorry I don't know what happened there..

Ringwraith #5 said:
So I realized I don't actually have to buy from Steam and put up with their ridiculous €1 = $1 policy

I use a site called steamtrades most of the time now. Seems to be mostly Russians and Vietnamese people selling codes they get cheaper from their region.

Watching a lets play of it and honestly, I`m liking the game more after seeing the nemesis system in action.

Its pretty much a system that I have dreamed about in games. The player has fought a single captain three times now, and it got away again. THere is a possibility that I might not be able to wait for a sale or GOTY edition or whatever will be available years later.

( Yeah I know its lorerape and repetitive gameplay, but so far what I have seen has been what I have wanted in a game)

Vieira said:
Most people don't care about this. Most modern fans are people who have maybe read the book and watched the films - and those are the ones that'll be playing.
Um, what other kind of fan is there? It's not like LotR is a massive compendium of published works like, say, the expanded universe of Star Wars. There's The Lord of the Rings, which is one book (yeah, okay, technically three volumes, but one story), then there's The Hobbit, which is like a children's book that's so short that you can read it in an afternoon, and that's it. The other stuff? That's cobbled together from bits that were never intended for publication. I take offense at this idea that "modern fans have maybe read the book and watched the films". So you're saying what, that 'real' fans know the other works as well? Silmarillion and the rest of it? That's like saying that simply watching a movie is not enough to be a 'real' fan because 'real' fans also watched all the extras and unused scenes and alternate takes and whatnot. Come off it, that stuff was left on the cutting room floor for a reason.

Gotta agree. People who have read the book and watched the films are about as much of a fan as you can be, to be honest. It's no laughable feat to read the volumes. :lol:

I don't know about that, I consider LotR to be pretty damn good as a book. It's not exactly gripping and honestly you could probably edit it down to like a third of the length without losing anything massively important, but it does read well. It's well structured and coherent. The Silmarillion, though? I can respect it as an exercise in artificially creating a mythology, but as a novel it's pretty crap. Which, again, is because it isn't one. It's cobbled together from leftover bits. I slogged through it once and I'm never ever going back to it.

Back
Top Bottom