Micro manage cavalry charges

Users who are viewing this thread

BongoBear

Recruit
When I order my cavalry to move from point A to point B, they do so at a trot. Fine, but when I want them to quickly disengage after a charge and move to a certain point, again they move slowly.

1. Is there a command to make them gallop away to a certain point so that they can charge again?

2. Is there a similar command for infantry (I mean, make them run instead of walking or jogging in a certain direction)?

I´m pretty sure the peasants will also complain about this, it just doesn´t make any sense that I, as a commander, can´t tell my troops to attack formation X.

I can just give the order:

"Charge straight forward and fight whatever you hit first. You archers, just shoot the closest target you can see, doesn´t matter if it´s the most armored troops, armor isn´t even working against your arrows! I won´t talk to you horse archers guys because I truely hate you but you´re to good to ignore, I´ll give the lead to your seargant and then you can skirmish I guess", like a true master commander.

I'm sorry but your request is denied it would overwhelm those poor, poor console players. :iamamoron:
giphy.gif

Those tears have long since dried up, neither focus fire nor engage enmy will be officially on the native. The problem is that Taleworlds also has no intention to enable such mechanics for modders to deal with eventually (focus fire - cavalry charge - Ai switch weapon command).

Giving cavalry the ability to charge to a location rather than a target would go a long way to fixing this problem.

The mod RTS Camera (I believe) was able to implement a charge to target. It worked really well for me. That mod didn't fix the issue of cavalry not using their lances but still...it was pretty good.

I always turn AI control for any cavalry troops I have, because they can't even keep the formation. When I order my troops to move at certain position, the cavalry always rushes in fornt of everyone, often triggering enemy horse troops and, basically, ruining the whole strategy.

We need a "Keep formation" order, so the troops will try moving with the same speed and keep positions in the formation. From what I can see, AI can do that. Why limiting the player?

Yes but something so basic as cavalry charge this position should be in the base game. It's not like we didn't have it in Warband.
We did? I only remember charge, stand ground, and move 10 steps forward/backwards, which in hindsight sounds very stupid, and the units were often very unresponsive, and when shifting positions the horsemen would end up awkwardly positioned, so that they'd be facing away from the enemy instead of towards it.

We did? I only remember charge, stand ground, and move 10 steps forward/backwards, which in hindsight sounds very stupid, and the units were often very unresponsive, and when shifting positions the horsemen would end up awkwardly positioned, so that they'd be facing away from the enemy instead of towards it.
They tended to move to the target location much more quickly than they do in Bannerlord - galloping rather than trotting.

The mod RTS Camera (I believe) was able to implement a charge to target. It worked really well for me. That mod didn't fix the issue of cavalry not using their lances but still...it was pretty good.
RTS camera (or our AI when you use delegate command) uses this feature, however "charge to target" means pretty much run to target and fight near - which means as you have said that cav wont use lances and it is useless for rnaged units.

They tended to move to the target location much more quickly than they do in Bannerlord - galloping rather than trotting.
They are trotting because "cohesion" stat is set too high in vanilla. It looks superficially better although unorganic, however it tanks combat performance of cavlary because they kind of wait for the slowest member of their formation most of the time.

They are trotting because "cohesion" stat is set too high in vanilla. It looks superficially better although unorganic, however it tanks combat performance of cavlary because they kind of wait for the slowest member of their formation most of the time.
Is this why they don't use their lances to couch unless they're going downhill? Because by attempting to maintain cohesion they simply can't build up enough speed individually?

Yes I believe the command was hold F1 and move your mouse indicator to where you wanted them to move to.

Last edited:
Yes but something so basic as cavalry charge this position should be in the base game. It's not like we didn't have it in Warband.

Sure. I'm not disagreeing that it should be included in the base game, just saying I prefer charge target rather than charge location. Be nice if they could form up before the charge too.
RTS camera (or our AI when you use delegate command) uses this feature, however "charge to target" means pretty much run to target and fight near - which means as you have said that cav wont use lances and it is useless for rnaged units.

Do you have a solution? I didn't bother with your version of RTS camera the last time I played because it lacked the charge to target function.

Ideally, the units will form up and actually use their lances when ordered to charge.

Back
Top Bottom