Mexxico, I'd value and appreciate your opinion on implementing Casus Belli in Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

In Bannerlord it is hard for one lord to go and defend a castle. He should gather an army. So actually in Bannerlord you should spend your influence and gather an army and go your castle with it. Maybe by spending lots of influence you can force a lord to gather an army and go there. However this is different topic we should not discuss this here. I noted for future but not a must have feature for now.
What about spending influence to ask an army to do something? This would be useful as a king to direct your other armies. Similar to ordering your clan members but keep it to armies outside of your clan and make it cost influence. Maybe have them say no to stuff that is outside their power range for attacks?

All after clan member directives of course.

If in the current state of the game those things can't be added, there might be a deeper issue now that could prevent even being modded in for real, other than as the CK2-3 style random events that are only textual, rather than proactive.
I think it wouldn't be very hard to mod in the mechanic itself. It would be very hard to balance it in gameplay and make sure you always end up with an enjoyable experience though. If you take a look at the snowballing problems it seems like the current war implementation already leads to complex problems, throwing in more variables just makes it harder to predict. This could lead to a lot of randomness, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I guess it would also stop all current attempts to create a balanced campaign.

I think it wouldn't be very hard to mod in the mechanic itself. It would be very hard to balance it in gameplay and make sure you always end up with an enjoyable experience though. If you take a look at the snowballing problems it seems like the current war implementation already leads to complex problems, throwing in more variables just makes it harder to predict. This could lead to a lot of randomness, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I guess it would also stop all current attempts to create a balanced campaign.

Exactly, you pointed real problem. Thats why if this type of war declerations is chosed 5-6 years ago we should balance the game according to this after. Thats why I say it is too late for it now. Mods can do it but they will suffer lots of balance problems.

What about spending influence to ask an army to do something? This would be useful as a king to direct your other armies. Similar to ordering your clan members but keep it to armies outside of your clan and make it cost influence. Maybe have them say no to stuff that is outside their power range for attacks?

All after clan member directives of course.

Yes this can give better results however we should discuss this after other scheduled issues are implemented and in different post.

Yes, "giving orders to clan members" is scheduled. It would help you about this problem at least about village raids. After that we can think more solutions for this problem but first we should implement giving orders to clan members.

Have you considered allowing the player to form armies with their family or companiom parties without being a vassal? Currently you must be a vassal to form an army. Going to take a settlement as an independent and start your own kingdom is very difficult when your own companion parties wont assist.

I also see it like this, devs do care about the fanbase and the game but leads? Well they probably care about the game too but not as much as the devs.
As an outsiders from the company, its hard to know what exaclty they are thinking or planing. We should not forget that the idea of this game came from Yavuz couple. I assume that they put their heart on this game. However, you are also right in terms of company which is getting bigger and bigger over time. Thus, they also look for more profit. It is easy to judge people, and maybe you are right. My point is not argue with you. Leads are also responsible because of their less interaction with the community.
Sorry for my bad grammer :smile:

So, I have just gotten back into the game, wanting to see how it plays now after the 1.5.6 update.

The snowballing is MUCH better. I am finally able to play as a Sturgian vassal. The game really has improved!

but there is a but coming... when I am playing , war declarations feel completely random and a bit silly.... without a reason being given for the war. Having an idea why war has been declared would make the world feel much more real.

Warband had this ( in a very basic and limited way) , Bannerlord does not have it at all (so far).

I think this mechanic could be added without too much effort.

What do you think @mexxico - is it doable?
This game mechanics is a permanent Casus Beli, walking around other people territory with your army, or party, is a supreme Casus Beli.

Unfortunately ones you mentioned will not be in game after this point. You are right and this kind of reasons could be better. I suggested this years ago maybe 5-6 years ago. Suggestion had these : Having some agrressive lords and king cannot control them. They will raid a neutral village and sometimes after this new war will be initiated. Or a lord will attack a neutral caravan after some point a war will be initiated or entering neutral kingdom territory can be war a reason. Or more solid reasons like them... If kings do not want problem they will kick these agressive lords from kingdom. These did not accepted at these years and in current state of game we cannot add these anymore. Game moved in different direction. So reasons will be something like : They captured our lands we should take them back or we have good power and Sturgians have more territory we should attack them, ....
Any chance to implement something slightly better? At least random excuses from a pool of excuses based on the rulers' relationship with each other?

i.e.
If Sturgian Ruler has -20 or lower relationship with Vlandian Ruler, he can pick a reason from the pool and a solid strategic reason like you already added into game. Pool issues can be more neutral or unprovable things. Such as
- "{faction_ruler_name_here} insulted our people in a speech, with his disgusting words - which is only a fit for his people"
- "{faction_name_here} is treating poorly to its own people! We should end this cruelty and do the righteous thing to do"
- "Mocks with our way of life. He hates us to his guts and shows that in every way. We shouldn't tolerate such behaviour!"

This can be turned into something richer - and faction to faction sensitive to increase depth. For example, these are all examples of Casus Belli of Ceaser to Gauls, which I changed into something Battania to Empire.
- Those savages, barbarians threatened our lands. Because of this threat, the Barbarians had to be pacified and became a vassal or part of our Empire after the war.
- We should preventing a coalition against the Empire from being formed.

So once these causes randomly picked, it can be combined with normal reasons in the game.
"{faction_ruler_name_here} insulted our people in a speech, with his disgusting words - which is only a fit for his people. We should declare war against {faction_name_here} because we have stronger armies compared to them and we can enlarge our territories"

I think this would bring more depth into the game. And it's not against to idea of "keeping game simple". I think, It's just cosmetic - ( textmetic, so to speak, since it's not graphical ) This gives the feeling that NPCs are not bots, but some type of living entities in the game with honour, feelings etc.

So please lower your expectations about this feature. Sorry.
Unfortunately, we kinda lowered our expectations not only with this feature but with the entire game :smile:

Any chance to implement something slightly better? At least random excuses from a pool of excuses based on the rulers' relationship with each other?

i.e.
If Sturgian Ruler has -20 or lower relationship with Vlandian Ruler, he can pick a reason from the pool and a solid strategic reason like you already added into game. Pool issues can be more neutral or unprovable things. Such as
- "{faction_ruler_name_here} insulted our people in a speech, with his disgusting words - which is only a fit for his people"
- "{faction_name_here} is treating poorly to its own people! We should end this cruelty and do the righteous thing to do"
- "Mocks with our way of life. He hates us to his guts and shows that in every way. We shouldn't tolerate such behaviour!"

This can be turned into something richer - and faction to faction sensitive to increase depth. For example, these are all examples of Casus Belli of Ceaser to Gauls, which I changed into something Battania to Empire.
- Those savages, barbarians threatened our lands. Because of this threat, the Barbarians had to be pacified and became a vassal or part of our Empire after the war.

So once these causes randomly picked, it can be combined with normal reasons in the game.
"{faction_ruler_name_here} insulted our people in a speech, with his disgusting words - which is only a fit for his people. We should declare war against {faction_name_here} because we have stronger armies compared to them and we can enlarge our territories"

I think this would bring more depth into the game. And it's not against to idea of "keeping game simple". I think, It's just cosmetic - ( textmetic, so to speak, since it's not graphical ) This gives the feeling that NPCs are not bots, but some type of living entities in the game with honour, feelings etc.

Unfortunately, we kinda lowered our expectations not only with this feature but with the entire game :smile:
This seems like a great way to implement this system!

i.e.

+1, good suggestion!

Am i stupid or didnt we already have this mechanic outta the box in previous titles for example when you asked a Lord :"What are you and your men doing?" -they might respond with "We are fighting to reclaim land taken from us..." -type stuff?

@mexxico You know I admire you and like many people, you have my respect for you as a professional, passion is evident in you...I love that you share information so openly with us.

Bannerlord is a complex game that is founded upon a structure with very promising modeable possibilities; that's a step that all the fans applaud. Bannerlord in broad strokes is a good game, with a long term future with lights and shadows, but with a future; but I wonder if it's the Bannerlord that everyone has been waiting for... However, and I don't want to create controversy, in general terms the development has been / is being too conservative, in my opinion as a consumer-fan. As I have said in the past, for some game features, you guys have wanted to reinvent the wheel instead of building upon the foundation that you yourselves consolidated in previous installments. And other times you have missed the opportunity to build up from the foundations of warband mod concepts that are utterly essential to the community and that many of us wanted to see implemented in Bannerlord in an analogous way or as an enhanced 2.0 version.

Expectations have long since been lowered, yet some of us are too stubborn and continue providing feedback in the hope™ and belief that some "final touch™ " is still possible :iamamoron:.

@mexxico You know I admire you and like many people, you have my respect for you as a professional, passion is evident in you...I love that you share information so openly with us.

Bannerlord is a complex game that is founded upon a structure with very promising modeable possibilities; that's a step that all the fans applaud. Bannerlord in broad strokes is a good game, with a long term future with lights and shadows, but with a future; but I wonder if it's the Bannerlord that everyone has been waiting for... However, and I don't want to create controversy, in general terms the development has been / is being too conservative, in my opinion as a consumer-fan. As I have said in the past, for some game features, you guys have wanted to reinvent the wheel instead of building upon the foundation that you yourselves consolidated in previous installments. And other times you have missed the opportunity to build up from the foundations of warband mod concepts that are utterly essential to the community and that many of us wanted to see implemented in Bannerlord in an analogous way or as an enhanced 2.0 version.

Expectations have long since been lowered, yet some of us are too stubborn and continue providing feedback in the hope™ and belief that some "final touch™ " is still possible :iamamoron:.

Thank you for your kind words. I need to underline that I am not decision owner at most of these decisions. I do not think different from you at most points. Only wanted to say it is too late for some big design changes. Years ago I suggested having border incidents, agressive hard to control lords and more similar things for war reasons. Game developed in different direction. It was not my decision. Here I wrote “We will show player war reasons” however they wont exactly be what you want to see. I do not want to dissapoint you. Thats why I said lower your expectations. We can still give players some reasons for war & peace but probably this will be different from your expectations. Other than this you should say your suggestions (follow the succesfull mods, do not try to invent wheel again) to decision takers. Also even it is not my preference it is good leaving good development areas to mods.

Last edited:
Unfortunately ones you mentioned will not be in game after this point. You are right and this kind of reasons could be better. I suggested this years ago maybe 5-6 years ago. Suggestion had these : Having some agrressive lords and king cannot control them. They will raid a neutral village and sometimes after this new war will be initiated. Or a lord will attack a neutral caravan after some point a war will be initiated or entering neutral kingdom territory can be war a reason. Or more solid reasons like them... If kings do not want problem they will kick these agressive lords from kingdom. These did not accepted at these years and in current state of game we cannot add these anymore. Game moved in different direction. So reasons will be something like : They captured our lands we should take them back or we have good power and Sturgians have more territory we should attack them, ....

So please lower your expectations about this feature. Sorry.
That's enough for me, and I think it's enough for this game. Simple but okay, so it shows the reason of war, how else could it be?

Yes, "giving orders to clan members" is scheduled. It would help you about this problem at least about village raids. After that we can think more solutions for this problem but first we should implement giving orders to clan members.
That's great news, thanks for sharing mexxico, direct and honest response from devs is much appreciated.

Anyway if we choose that way and implemented these mechanics I offered probably lots of things should be different now. Maybe game become more complex and maybe we reach less people or it make game more successfull we cannot know its result of course, it was a risky and hard to control design. It is time lose after this point discussing these things, past is past. Now we will try to give as much as feedback to player why that war is started however it is usually to control more territory of course. At least you will get more information about these decisions.
Couldn't agree with this more. I went out with a friend one night and presented the game in detail for him. He played warband for a time and then moved on, and when i explained BL to him he already said it's too complex for him. The game might look at the surface pretty complex and that may be something that "scares " away some players. If some very big youtubers would have played the game e.g. jacksepticeye markiplier etc maybe the game would've gotten more popular but these guys usually go around complex games. This is not meant as hate or anything, I actually love mexxico's idea of easy to learn hard to master but i also know that the complex part is (maybe) keeping people away.

Also, thanks for all the info as always, mexxico!

Thank you for your kind words. I need to underline that I am not decision owner at most of these decisions. I do not think different from you at most points. Only wanted to say it is too late for some big design changes. Years ago I suggested having border incidents, agressive hard to control lords and more similar things for war reasons. Game developed in different direction. It was not my decision. Here I wrote “We will show player war reasons” however they wont exactly be what you want to see. I do not want to dissapoint you. Thats why I said lower your expectations. We can still give players some reasons for war & peace but probably this will be different from your expectations. Other than this you should say your suggestions (follow the succesfull mods, do not try to invent wheel again) to decision takers. Also even it is not my preference it is good leaving good development areas to mods.

I know my dear friend, you can't be blamed for anything. A hug and cheer up for keep working hard with development as usual. ?

Back
Top Bottom