Metropolis: Tekkit Co-Op Build Server - Project Failed, Server Closed

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyze

Baron
It has been known for some time, but Kronic, Impendin (IA), and I are setting up a co-operative whitelisted build server using the Tekkit pack. This is the thread for the server discusion, which we will be having soon, and for future updates.

The aim for this server is to build a metropolis, quite simply. You and others like you will be the builders, and the founders, of a great and glorious metropolis, thrust into the wilderness, and forced to craft it into a highly advanced, shining beacon of technology and progress. You will face many challenges along the way, and must figure out how to effectively harness the Tekkit technology of this foreign world in which you find yourselves. Otherwise, you will most likely not survive. There will be absolutely nothing in this world that we have created for you, except for a small, meagre basecamp. Whether it will be enough to hold off the swarms of monsters that will attempt to destroy you remains to be seen.

The metropolis itself will be a massive, intricate system of towers, roads, marketplaces, plazas, and residential and industrial districts. Each and every sector of the city will be powered, and planned. You must take the basic principles of urban design to heart in order to plan such a large city. There must be Arenas, Sports Stadiums, a seat of government, and every other facility that you would expect to find in a near-future metropolis with towers larger than the mountains in this world. Additionally, you must aim for resource self-sufficiency. The wonder that is Tekkit Co. has provided you with the means to sustainably create the resources you will need to fuel your power plants, your rapid transit network, and your farms forever. From these factories that you construct, there will be distribution pipelines throughout the city sending resources to where they must go and food from the farms to the various food distribution points among the residential sectors. Once your city is towering high over even the highest of mountains in the world, and has archways, arcologies, entire forests mounted on towers as parks, factories, a rapid transit network, and the trappings of any proper metropolis, perhaps then your work shall be complete. When the site of the city itself from the untamed wilderness is an expression of beauty, architectural excellence, and the strength and determination of you, the builders, when it stops people in its tracks with its simultaneous complexity and simplicity, then you shall be triumphant... perhaps.

Below is the Application Form. It has seven fields. In your response, please keep the questions above your answers so we can refer back easier. Please put a new post in this thread with your Application, and we will let you know the result.

1. Minecraft Name:

A:

2. Why do you want in to this server and this building effort, and what appeals to you most about what we are trying to build?

A:

3. What is your vision for the server? With the description above, how do you envision the metropolis, either architecturally, aesthetically, or technically/infrastructurally?

A:

4. What would you deem as acceptable behaviour within the server? How do you understand the term "co-operative builders" and "co-operative building effort"? This is a co-operative server, not PvP.

A:

5. What would you say your build style and play style are? Are you detail-oriented, big-picture oriented, etc, etc?

A:

6. How familiar are you with the Tekkit/Technik pack and the tools within it? (do note that no experience is needed, though it is appreciated)

A:

7. What area of city building interests you the most? You'll most likely have to work in teams to build the city properly and effectively.

A:

Please remember that this is a co-operative building server, not a PvP server. As such, please pay special attention to section 4. Do note that more detail in the application is better. It helps us get to know you and will make accepting your application that much easier.

Alrighty, I'm doing the main end of the tech stuff for now, so I'll leave Lyze to wax lyrical.

What I currently have is a Standard latest build Tekkit server, with a few bare essentials plugins. Currently, the server is in a Greylisted state - unauthorized users who log on can talk and look around, but that's it. At present the maps boundaries are set to 2500 blocks from spawn in a circle. The terrain in this has been generated and as of so far, there seem to no real problems with that.

General stress testing showed maybe a second of lag from detonating a stack of 10 nukes, so hardware wise, we appear fine for now. For the time being, the server is limited to 20 players online at a time, though we'll see how the RAM usage is at peak times and revise this as needed.

Installation/setup instructions:

Users will have to get the Technic Launcher from here.
Once downloaded, open the Tekkit client and select "Tekkit" from the dropdown menu in the upper right.
Go to Options, and then Manual Build Selection. Choose 3.0.3 and then log in normally. You should be fine.

If you have issues, clear the Tekkit cache through the options, and I'll help you from the server logs after that.

IP: 188.165.94.54
MAP: http://188.165.94.54:8123/#

Addendum: Usually when people join for the first time, they have a minimap that updates but no blocks render. I have no idea what is causing this. If this happens, close the client and restart it, and the issue should be fixed. THis only ever seems to happen once.

Currently, the following items are disabled:

RedMatter Furnaces, due to a duplication bug
Transmutation Tables and Tablets, as past of the EE balance test
Energy Collectors, as part of the EE balance choices
Nuclear reactors and nukes may only be placed by mods, contact one if you need one installed.
Chunkloading blocks and railcarts may only be placed by mods, contact one if you need one.

The Whitelist at present is as follows:

Code:
Burgess
CalenLoki
Eino
gaham1
Grimmend
Hojo, Duke of Tinternet
Impendin
Kronic
Lascivo
Lyze
Maboobs
Nipplemelter
p1staasi
Regendur
Sir Prince
Sparkyninja
Sushiman
theEstonian
Trevty
Puppy
Jace
Krik
Feragorn
Jace
Bobthehero
Perkele_JOPOTINTTI
MrrPhil
Jeregor
Senilo91
engr1
Stalin_the_2nd
Apsod
menjoo
Flyinghobokin

Metropolis is a complex, grandiose project, and its final vision will be a sight to behold. However, as with all projects of this scale, it requires an overarching plan, or else different components of the vision do not come together in harmony, with the build time becoming extending and more "mistake-fixing" and "tweaking" being needed to make it seem satisfactory, let alone magnificent. In my building experience, when constructing something of this scale, it is very easy to lose sight of what you are building, and how it will fit into the big picture. As such, having that overarching plan helps you to account for how all the pieces will "fit in" at the end and avoid painful, time-consuming mistakes like errors in symmetry, building placement, or terrain work.

Do keep in mind as you read the Construction Phase List below that the style of city we are aiming for is "futuristic", i.e. the shining beacon of progress that is popularly envisioned in present times, with large, massive buildings, arcologies (if you are familiar with the term), and a scale of infrastructure and construction that dwarfs our current abilities tenfold, if not a hundredfold. Complexity is the name of the game, as are massive constructs, clean and flowing architectural elements, and a technologically active and automated city.

Metropolis Phase List
[list type=decimal]
[*]Resource Extractions - the first phase is to establish automated, efficient, and sustainable resource extraction operations; our construction efforts will go much slower if we don't have a constant flow of every type of resource we need, from ores, crafted items, food, organic materials, and forestry; once we can secure automated resource extraction operations (ideally near the edge of the border between the reset zone and the permanent zone; refer to the last phase) - the best way to do this is to assemble into teams to gather base materials, and then focus each team on gathering a specific type of resource
[*]Site Preparation - the worst thing about building large projects is putting a lot of time into it and then figuring out that an oversight during initial building has caused a massive mistake that will make it hard to link up aesthetically with other buildings, other infrastructure, or will **** with symmetry some how; thus, the next step once we have secure resource deposits is to do basic site preparation; smooth away any massive hills that will get in the way, and bring things down to a relatively flat plain; this site preparation is only for the Inner City, however, as we are building an entire world - mark down roughly where sectors will be, plan out roads and mark out their paths, and plan the terrain you're landscaping so that it will work to complement the buildings and structures you will put on it
[*]Inner City Construction - now that the site is prepared and the resource supplies have been secured, it is time to start building the Inner City, the main, most grandiose parts of our Metropolis
[list type=decimal]
[*]Infrastructure Construction & Landmark Building Outlines- the hardest thing about building a city from scratch is making it look like a city rather than a haphazard placement of buildings; modern cities do have organic growth, but that growth is planned and organised by urban planners within every single municipality on the planet; as such, we must do the same; mark out where you envision major roads will be, both on the ground and raised up in the air. As this Metropolis is a city of the future, the constructs will be large enough to have raised roads, skybridges, and the like, suspended between the massive buildings in the city. The challenge with the raised infrastructure is now to decide whether it will be raised on pillars or "suspended" via arches connected to nearby buildings. For major roads, ensure that there is one in each cardinal direction (NWSE) going from the Centre Buiding. The Centre Building is my own idea. I envision it as a large construct at the centre of the world (the spawn) from which the main roads and infrastructure originate. I will post concept art and a detailed description below ASAP. To help you place landmark buildings (which are things like large government buildings, large office buildings, anything that dominates the skyline with a distinctive look and function, like a hospital or sports arena), ensure that as well as the major roads (minimum four, maybe more), have smaller, minor roads and transit thoroughfares that mark off "city blocks".

The city will be a combination of rectangular and radial designs. Due to the circular nature of the map, radial suits it best. However, a well designed combination of both radial road and building designs and the traditional city grid system used today will enhance the aesthetic appeal and look of the city considerably. Once these minor roads are marked and your city blocks are well defined, mark out roughly where you plan the "landmark" buildings to go - mark out their dimensions, their heights, anything you might think will help yourself and other buildings visualise how it will look like when done.
[*]Landmark Building Construction - now that your city blocks have been defined, your main roads, skybridges, and transit thoroughfares have been built, and your landmark buildings marked out, now is the time to construct them. Keep in mind that landmark buildings dominate the skyline - they are large, impressive, but most importantly, they define the look and feel of the city sector that they're in architecturally and aesthetically. Most landmark buildings we want will be futuristic in design, and "shining beacons" of the architectural and engineering triumph of the civilisation that built this high tech city. If you can build something, be it a sports arena, a city hall, a massive hospital, or a centre of power (like my central building) that does that, it is a landmark buiding. These buildings should be immense. Hundreds of blocks tall, dozens upon dozens wide, they should almost be entire cities upon themselves. Varying elements of architectural design and building construction, such as (using mine as an example) four pillars as large as skyscrapers leaning inwards to support a "ring" above cloud level with a landing surface on top and a platform/rooftop garden/plaza on top, help to define it and set it apart from simple "skyscrapers". If there is a central element in a building of that scale, such as the "ring" and the courtyard down on ground level that it overlooks, then it can safely be considered a landmark building
[*]City Sector Polish - Now that your infrastructure is complete and your landmark buildings have been at least started, it's time to start adding the polish. This includes the smaller, more regular sized buildings that couldn't classify as "monuments" like the Landmarks, the ones that you would see a hundred thousand of in a typical city. Keep in mind that the style is futuristic, and our scale is large, so these can still be large buildings. This is all about putting in the detail work to make the city's plazas, smaller buildings, roadways, and aesthetic look like it's an actual, organic, lived in city. This may include putting in smaller rooms, houses, or chambers within the landmark buildings, or in building new skybridges or platforms raised above the ground connected between the smaller (yet still tall) buildings and the landmark buildings, like a delicate crystal lattice of roads high up in the sky. The devil is in the details, after all.
[/list]

[*]Outer City Construction - the outer city construction will be similar to the inner city, but on a much smaller scale. Extend the infrastructure and develop high-density areas around the "transit hubs" that this operating (i.e. we can use it go get from place A to B) transit network provides, and start building smaller buildings. The scale will still be very large and very much reminiscent of a Metropolis, as this is a futuristic setting we are working with, but it won't be as immense. More details to come once the previous phase is finished.
[*]Fringe Buildings & Industrial Factories - the last phase is a unique one; resource extraction is Phase 1, but we may find that the automated operations we put in place are getting in the way of Phases 2 and 3. As such, it might make more sense to transfer those operations, or build them outright, in their permanent locations just before the wall between the reset zone and Metropolis. These are going to be automated factories providing us with ores, organics, and anything else through farms, factories, and production facilities that use renewable energy, Equivalent Exchange, and anything else we can devise to ensure that we would be supplied infinitely with the resources we need, even with no map reset. That is, these factories and resource buildings will supply us with what we need to build and live. More specifically, and more elaborately, there will be distribution pipes from these factories to either storage facilities or to distribution "nodes" within the city. Nodes within the city would be best used for food distribution to the populace, for example.
[*]Last, but certainly not least, is the Wall. At the border of the Reset Zone, we will have a large, massive, high-tech wall. Take your pick of science fiction cities, and I'm sure you can conjure up an appropriate image. There will be automated entrances, "connection" points that hook in to our existing resource and personnel transport network for any Reset Zone resource operations we do, and it will be a tall and magnificent thing. That's all I have on it so far, though.
[/list]

Metropolis Plan Map - a rough sketch, but it works
IqkJE.jpg
1. Inner City rough boundaries - these will obviously change somewhat; consider it a loose guideline
2. Outer City rough boundaries - because of the ocean, there will be different "suburbs", so to speak, of the Inner City. I'm sure we'll have some construction in, on, or above the water though.

Centre Building Concept:

The spawn, centered at 0,0 in this world that has been generated, will be the centre block of a massive construction that defines the entire city. How I envision it is 4 very large "skyscraper"-esque buildings centred at the corners of a circle. This circle is the courtyard of the building on ground level, a massive plaza with water features cascading down from the lattice of walkways and gardens above that are suspended between the buildings.

The best way to envision the buildings is to imagine a very large (b*h) rectangular box that tapers towards the top, and then "curve" it inwards, so that as it rises, it moves closer to the centre of the circle  in a smooth curve/wave like the building has been bent, with the bottom of the skyscraper having a circular foundation where it connects to the inner courtyard. These buildings will be fairly large, able to have rooms, meeting halls, hallways and anything else like in a normal skyscraper. At the top, far far above cloudheight, will be a "platform" a couple stories tall, with more important meeting rooms and public viewing rooms in it, and then on top of that platform/ring is a walkway/garden, with water features cascading down to the ground below. Rising up from the ground level, attached to all four of the pillar towers, is a latticework of walkways, gardens, and other suspended bridges.

[reserved for building updates when server is live]

(you may now comment if you wish - hype it up!)

I'm in. I don't know how active I will be, as I haven't felt like playing Minecraft for a couple of months, but then again it has been a couple of months since I've played Minecraft and longer by the time this is up.

I have no problem with equivalent exchange, because first of all I haven't dabbled in it yet at all and secondly I'm tired of mining/gathering EVERYTHING anyway.

I've dabbled with EE for a month or two now,  a dark matter blob (used in pretty much all things like Energy Condensors/collectors (the cheating items) Requires (as well as a philosopher stone) 64 coal and a diamond block.

A diamond block is 73xxx EMC which is a little under one half size quarry collecting only stone, which will take 1000 or so minutes to complete.

Transmutation tablets: Very cheap to make 4 diamonds (3 for the pick 1 for the philosopher stone.) and will from then, using the fire GUI option be able to use all of your **** to make diamonds.

However one extended sperlunking can yield around 30 gems, which change into 3 diamonds, with the gold/iron or perhaps tungsten (a useless block, but worth 2 diamonds) a block of diamonds can easily be attained from that.

Energy collectors, require a diamond block and glowstone (I think) which produce somewhere between 3 EMC/t, with energy condenser it requires need another 5 diamonds.

So yeah, the removal of the mod will just need people to actually try  :roll:

Also I would like to join

Do want in, however at several points there will be a case of;

"Hey, why is *Inserted* doing *Catastroprohic actions*?"

*Large explosion*

"Uhh Lyze? I blew up the city block again..."

Sir Hitson Winsler said:
I've dabbled with EE for a month or two now,  a dark matter blob (used in pretty much all things like Energy Condensors/collectors (the cheating items) Requires (as well as a philosopher stone) 64 coal and a diamond block.

A diamond block is 73xxx EMC which is a little under one half size quarry collecting only stone, which will take 1000 or so minutes to complete.

Transmutation tablets: Very cheap to make 4 diamonds (3 for the pick 1 for the philosopher stone.) and will from then, using the fire GUI option be able to use all of your **** to make diamonds.

However one extended sperlunking can yield around 30 gems, which change into 3 diamonds, with the gold/iron or perhaps tungsten (a useless block, but worth 2 diamonds) a block of diamonds can easily be attained from that.

Energy collectors, require a diamond block and glowstone (I think) which produce somewhere between 3 EMC/t, with energy condenser it requires need another 5 diamonds.

So yeah, the removal of the mod will just need people to actually try  :roll:

Also I would like to join

dafuq-did-i-just-read-meme.jpg

Nevertheless, add me to ze whitelist. I am bored of minecraft mainly because I've done everything there is to do except build a huge metropolis and **** doing that by yourself.

Never tried building anything in modern style in Minecraft, but I'd be happy to team up with someone who can teach me a bit, can even do some of the more tedious building work.

Kronic said:
Server positions will be allocated and decided upon from an application form, the contents and details of which are yet to be decided.

Damn it guys.  :lol:
It'll be the sort of thing that only takes a couple of minutes, but one thing at a time please. :razz:

Lascivo said:
pls let me join i lik minecruft

Not if you ever type like that in this thread again. >: (

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom