Metal, metal, metal

Users who are viewing this thread

Europe gets all the best festivals... sometimes being Canadian sucks. Although I do get to see Slipknot, Gojira, Iron Maiden and Striker this summer so I'm pretty happy, all things considered.

It seems the recent wave of traditional metal is still going strong:

These guys remind me of another homegrown band, Striker (who are amazing, should have posted about them before but if you don't know them check them out), but this time with more of a Judas Priest influence. They have some similar issues too, with occasionally sloppy song structure and lyrical oddity here and there; fortunately these issues don't matter much when the intensity and passion are palpable in the music. The title track is the standout song for me but the album in general is great save for the closing track, which drags a bit too much.

Can't wait to see them on the road, hope they come here some day opening when Striker finally gets to headline a show in their own country.

The Doge of Benis said:

Not sure it counts as metal anymore, but here you go anyhow
D5DC02D5395CCAF50D1F505688D5ADCF590DC786

Finally learned a coworker is at least somewhat into metal via talking about history and he brought up Sabaton the other day.  Pretty cool, I enjoy talking about metal and history - even if said coworker doesn't really listen to much metal other than Sabaton, it's a good starting point.

Belated opinions nobody gives a damn about, #1.5:
* Rhapsody of Fire, "The Eighth Mountain": Sounds all right. Gave it a go a while back. Can't recall any one song, but it seems to be in the same relatively enjoyable vein that "Into the Legend" and "Dark Wings of Steel" were in.
* Turilli/Lione Rhapsody, "Zero Gravity (Rebirth and Evolution)": First impressions: overwhelmingly chaotic. I like overly complicated compositions, and thus really enjoyed Turilli's last two "Rhapsody" (LTR, that is) albums, especially the first one, but here half the tracks almost seem to blend into a cacophony for me. It's likely that additional listenings will clear things up, but still, my impression isn't as good. With Fabio Lione back, one track sounds vaguely reminiscent of something in the "From Chaos to Eternity" album, but it's definitely more LTR than the old Rhapsody.
* Sabaton, "The Great War": At 38 minutes in length, I'm starting to feel that by 2030 there will exist at least one Nightwish album that has at least one track longer than a full Sabaton album. The second song sounds rather like a rehash of "White Death", and unlike Sabaton's previous album, which had a large number of instant classics, and the one before that that I still enjoyed a lot, the only song that I can distinctly remember is "Fields of Verdun", the one from the video. Everything else, at least at my first impression, sounds exactly like your run of the mill Sabaton "album filler" content. Of course, expecting groundbreaking stuff from Sabaton, the metal popcorn equivalent, is insane, but I at least expect to have 2-3 songs I can hum the choruses to every now and again. No Battle of Doiran, either. In any case, a weaker entry than I would have liked.
And now, a pointless exercise: let's see which songs from Sabaton albums I can recall off the top of my head as being particularly memorable or interesting.

* "Fist for Fight": Hellrider, The Hammer has Fallen, Shadows, Masters of the World;
* "Primo Victoria": Primo Victoria, Panzer Batallion, Wolfpack;
* "Attero Dominatus": Angels Calling, Back in Control;
* "Metalizer": Lol this is just half of the good tracks from Fist for Fight, who even cares about this one;
* "The Art of War" (aahh, peak Sabaton): Ghost Division, 40-1, Cliffs of Gallipoli, Talvisota, Panzerkampf, Union, The Price of a Mile;
* "Coat of Arms" (a personal favourite despite it's barely-40-min length): ALL OF THEM
* "Carolus Rex" (the one where they made some semi-complicated songs and then probably decided it was too much effort): Gott mit Uns, 1648, Killing Ground, Poltava, Ruina Imperii;
* "Heroes": Night Witches, Resist and Bite, Hearts of Iron, Out of Control;
* "The Last Stand": Almost all of them. Last Dying Breath, Blood of Bannockburn, Rorke's Drift, The Last Stand, Shiroyama, Winged Hussars, The Last Battle, Camouflage.

Yeah, not bad.

I need to do something with my life.

Saw this on youtube and decided to give it a listen, since I'm not all up to date with my Mayhem listens. It's a remaster/remix of the 2000 album.

This album is really weird. Rhythmically speaking. I dig it. Except the spoken word, which is a bit cheesy.

Had the pleasure of seeing these guys play this past weekend. Definitely worth a shot if you're into a band with an old-school sound that draws from Priest and Dio and the like. If you ever get a chance to see them live don't pass it up, they put on a hell of a show.

New Atlantean Kodex song from their upcoming album. I was sure this album was going to be a disappointment because surely they couldn't match The White Goddess. Well based on this song, there's nothing to worry about. These guys can do nothing wrong.

Is it September yet?At least I have the new Finsterforst and Sellsword to tide me over until then. Both fantastic albums.

Edit: Album is out on youtube.

Back
Top Bottom