mesh to scene terrain converter?

Users who are viewing this thread

touareg

Sergeant at Arms
Hello there.

You surely know the obj-to-map converter by Tul. Where you generate a map mesh in your application of choice and then convert it to a map file to use ingame.
The thing I am looking for would be a prog that converts a mesh to use it as terrain for a scene. The reason I ask here is: I got no clue about python and whatsoever and I'd like to know if that would be possible. If not using a converter, maybe by another way. Any info/idea/interest very welcome. :smile:

Well M&B includes a terrain editor in the scene editor. If you enable edit mode and windowed mode and press ctrl+e it'll jump into the editor and you should be able to see the options there.

If you want to use your own mesh as the terrain, this is also possible, but you'll have to learn the basics of the python scripting so you can set up your new scene to use this as the basic mesh.

Thanks Yoshiboy for your answer. I know the edit mode and used it to some extend, but the functions there are limited. That is why I am searching for other methods of terrain editing. Good to know that it is actually possible. Too bad python is involved. Pitfall for me, with actually zero python knowledge, I have to wait till I finish a good python tut I guess.
As for starting python, any tips where to start? Especially when I want to get my hands on this scene stuff?

Thanks so far!

Try getting started with the official documentation: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,5408.0.html

Providing you can get it all compiling right - editing scene entries is extremely simple. So good luck with that.

Yoshiboy is it possible to get rid of terrain in a scene for example to simulate a battle in the sky ?Can player/npc move in a scene without terrain, or in order to simulate sky I have to make a transparent mesh/or a cloudy one for terrain ?

garipoter said:
Yoshiboy is it possible to get rid of terrain in a scene for example to simulate a battle in the sky ?Can player/npc move in a scene without terrain, or in order to simulate sky I have to make a transparent mesh/or a cloudy one for terrain ?

Yeah you can set the "mesh" of the scene to something transparent, with a collision mesh of course. That would work fine.

Yoshiboy said:
garipoter said:

Yeah you can set the "mesh" of the scene to something transparent, with a collision mesh of course. That would work fine.
Thanks for answer .

Yoshiboy said:
Try getting started with the official documentation: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,5408.0.html

Providing you can get it all compiling right - editing scene entries is extremely simple. So good luck with that.
Many thanks, will try it. Hopefully it works out.  :smile:

Yoshiboy said:
garipoter said:

the skybox will be fun for that scene
it will have to be smaller scale than normal skybox, as well as being longer and wider to show the ground far below and out to the horizon  :???:

Back
Top Bottom