SP - General Mercenary Gameplay: Let kingdoms send you offers of employment

Users who are viewing this thread

Blood Gryphon

Grandmaster Knight
I think a way to massively improve the mercenary experience is if once a player became a mercenary for a kingdom, other kingdoms would occasionally send an offer of employment when they need mercenaries.

I imagine it would be a side notification popup similar to current prisoner offer popup. Give us a small blurb saying "Kingdom X offers XXX for your employment as a mercenary", give it a 48 hour timer and let the player chose yes or no.

I think this would help the player feel much more like the other mercenary companies who jump from kingdoms when they get a new offer.

I think the overall idea is good and fairly easy to implement as well.

But I think you are missing out a lot of details here. I know it's not the player's responsibility to think edge cases but since you are already quite knowledgeable about the systems, you might want to add these points as well since it will only increase the chances of suggestions getting implemented.

Some of the things I can think of:
- Will this be random or will this be tied to a value or perhaps to a calculation? ( Clan tier * influence above threshold maybe? )
- Will there be any relationship damage? Or renown maybe? Because this is not an honorable action.
- Will there be a compensation sign-on bonus for players since they are willing to take the money even though it damages their relationship with others?
- If yes, based on what this bonus will be decided?​
- Will AI do the same? Will metrics work the same? (AI doing same also means more playtesting required to keep the balance)
- What will happen if you accept this and if you are in the army?
- What will happen if you accept this for faction X and if you are in the army of faction Y and faction X and Y at war?​
- What will happen if you are a prisoner at that time?
- What will happen if you are a prisoner at that time for the faction X which sends you the offer?​

As long as all the edge cases are covered or designed prior to implementation, this idea is extremely doable in my opinion. I don't know if he is still working in Taleworlds or not or if this is his job or not ( I guess it is since it's campaign ai in a way ) but I think @mexxico could even implement this in 2-3 days at most ( assuming that other issues are not popping up etc )

Another +1 here

[...] My last 2 weeks [...]
giphy.gif

+1
I know this is about mercenaries but. In Warband players already gets offer of vassalage after certain amount of renown and honor though...It's pretty odd to see this kind of suggestions seems by the developers as "new". Well, whatever.

I think the overall idea is good and fairly easy to implement as well.

But I think you are missing out a lot of details here. I know it's not the player's responsibility to think edge cases but since you are already quite knowledgeable about the systems, you might want to add these points as well since it will only increase the chances of suggestions getting implemented.

Some of the things I can think of:
- Will this be random or will this be tied to a value or perhaps to a calculation? ( Clan tier * influence above threshold maybe? )
- Will there be any relationship damage? Or renown maybe? Because this is not an honorable action.
- Will there be a compensation sign-on bonus for players since they are willing to take the money even though it damages their relationship with others?
- If yes, based on what this bonus will be decided?​
- Will AI do the same? Will metrics work the same? (AI doing same also means more playtesting required to keep the balance)
- What will happen if you accept this and if you are in the army?
- What will happen if you accept this for faction X and if you are in the army of faction Y and faction X and Y at war?​
- What will happen if you are a prisoner at that time?
- What will happen if you are a prisoner at that time for the faction X which sends you the offer?​

As long as all the edge cases are covered or designed prior to implementation, this idea is extremely doable in my opinion. I don't know if he is still working in Taleworlds or not or if this is his job or not ( I guess it is since it's campaign ai in a way ) but I think @mexxico could even implement this in 2-3 days at most ( assuming that other issues are not popping up etc )
I reckon you should only receive relationship damage if you accept an offer from a kingdom your current faction is at war with and a smaller one if you join a neutral kingdom but your current faction is at war with someone else. No relationship damage if your current faction isn't at war with anyone.

Could also do additional damage/boosts to traits. If you join a faction that is stronger than your current one you gain points in the calculating trait. If you swap sides in a war you lose points in the honour trait/gain in deceitfulness.

I think a way to massively improve the mercenary experience is if once a player became a mercenary for a kingdom, other kingdoms would occasionally send an offer of employment when they need mercenaries.

I imagine it would be a side notification popup similar to current prisoner offer popup. Give us a small blurb saying "Kingdom X offers XXX for your employment as a mercenary", give it a 48 hour timer and let the player chose yes or no.

I think this would help the player feel much more like the other mercenary companies who jump from kingdoms when they get a new offer.

This suggestion is posted internal today. Here is Turkish of suggestion. You can use google translate if you want more details. I think it has high probability to be accepted (60-80%).

Şuraya son bir suggestion bırakayım ilerisi için. Zamanı gelince düşünürseniz kullanırsınız.

Biliyorsunuz 1.6.1 ile peace offerlar ekledik. Artık sağdaki notificationlar ile arada düşman krallıklardan barış için teklif alabileceğiz. Bu tip oyuncuya kendi aksiyonları dışında oluşan şeylerden gelen teklifler oyuncular tarafından sıklıkla istenen ve gameplay'i arttıracak şeyler. Bu ilk olarak elimizdeki prisoner'a salmamız için para teklif edilmesiyle başladı ve oradan güzel bir giriş yaptık şimdi de 1.6.1 ile peace offer ile ikinci eklenti geliyor.

Mevcut iki sisteme benzer olarak üçüncü eklenti yine aynı şekilde sağ taraftaki notificationları kullanarak oyuncuya paralı asker veya vassal olması için krallıklardan teklif gelmesi olabilir. Özellikle önce paralı asker kısmı yapılabilir sonra vassal işi düşünülebilir. Oyuncu bir krallıkta paralı askerken veya boştayken (yani vassal veya kral olmadığı durumlarda) başka krallıklar ona mevcut krallığını bırak gel bize paralı asker ol diye o anki kazancından daha iyi bir kazançla (gold per influence) teklif verebilirler. Tabii bu teklifler yine mevcut sistemin hesapladığı rakamlar olmalı. Mercenary'lere ne kadar para teklif edileceğini hesaplayan kodumuz var (GetMercenaryAwardFactorToJoinKingdom, helpers.cs) orası kullanılmalı. Yani biz oyuncu 200 alıyor diye onun 1.5 katı 300 teklif edelim gibi sabit bir şey yapmamalıyız, yine aynı sistemler kullanılmalı.

Ayrı bir behavior her gün veya hafta oyuncuya ne kadar teklif edebileceklerini hesaplarlar ve belli bir rastgelelikle eğer hesaplanan rakam mevcut oyuncunun aldığından daha yüksekse (oyuncu paralı asker değilse mevcut aldığı 0 olarak düşünülebilir) oyuncuya teklif gidebilir. Bu arada bu check işleminin rastgeleliği rare şeklinde ayarlansa iyi olur günde 2% veya weeklytick olacaksa haftada 10% gibi. Yani aslında bu iş oyuncunun işi, en iyi teklifi sora sora bulmak (tabii bir mercenarylikten çıkmadan diğerlerinden ne alabiliyor bunu diyalogla öğrenmesi oyunumuzda mümkün mü şu an bilmiyorum değilse de eklenmeli) ama rare şekilde teklif gelmesi de güzel olacak. Bir de relation penalty varsa mercenarylikten çıkarken burada teklif kabul edilirken de aynısı uygulanmalı.

Last edited:
This suggestion is posted internal today. Here is Turkish of suggestion. You can use google translate if you want more details. I think it has high probability to be accepted (60-80%).

Şuraya son bir suggestion bırakayım ilerisi için. Zamanı gelince düşünürseniz kullanırsınız.

Biliyorsunuz 1.6.1 ile peace offerlar ekledik. Artık sağdaki notificationlar ile arada düşman krallıklardan barış için teklif alabileceğiz. Bu tip oyuncuya kendi aksiyonları dışında oluşan şeylerden gelen teklifler oyuncular tarafından sıklıkla istenen ve gameplay'i arttıracak şeyler. Bu ilk olarak elimizdeki prisoner'a salmamız için para teklif edilmesiyle başladı ve oradan güzel bir giriş yaptık şimdi de 1.6.1 ile peace offer ile ikinci eklenti geliyor.

Mevcut iki sisteme benzer olarak üçüncü eklenti yine aynı şekilde sağ taraftaki notificationları kullanarak oyuncuya paralı asker veya vassal olması için krallıklardan teklif gelmesi olabilir. Özellikle önce paralı asker kısmı yapılabilir sonra vassal işi düşünülebilir. Oyuncu bir krallıkta paralı askerken veya boştayken (yani vassal veya kral olmadığı durumlarda) başka krallıklar ona mevcut krallığını bırak gel bize paralı asker ol diye o anki kazancından daha iyi bir kazançla (gold per influence) teklif verebilirler. Tabii bu teklifler yine mevcut sistemin hesapladığı rakamlar olmalı. Mercenary'lere ne kadar para teklif edileceğini hesaplayan kodumuz var (GetMercenaryAwardFactorToJoinKingdom, helpers.cs) orası kullanılmalı. Yani biz oyuncu 200 alıyor diye onun 1.5 katı 300 teklif edelim gibi sabit bir şey yapmamalıyız, yine aynı sistemler kullanılmalı.

Ayrı bir behavior her gün veya hafta oyuncuya ne kadar teklif edebileceklerini hesaplarlar ve belli bir rastgelelikle eğer hesaplanan rakam mevcut oyuncunun aldığından daha yüksekse (oyuncu paralı asker değilse mevcut aldığı 0 olarak düşünülebilir) oyuncuya teklif gidebilir. Bu arada bu check işleminin rastgeleliği rare şeklinde ayarlansa iyi olur günde 2% veya weeklytick olacaksa haftada 10% gibi. Yani aslında bu iş oyuncunun işi, en iyi teklifi sora sora bulmak (tabii bir mercenarylikten çıkmadan diğerlerinden ne alabiliyor bunu diyalogla öğrenmesi oyunumuzda mümkün mü şu an bilmiyorum değilse de eklenmeli) ama rare şekilde teklif gelmesi de güzel olacak. Bir de relation penalty varsa mercenarylikten çıkarken burada teklif kabul edilirken de aynısı uygulanmalı.
Thank you mex, hopefully the team will recognize the benefits of this and accept it.

I hadn't thought of it but you are right, letting AI kingdoms offer vassalage would be super cool and immersive.

Also you have to be the hardest working person on their last week ever, most people just stop caring, so truly thank you for all your hard work. It won't be forgotten. ?

Thank you mex, hopefully the team will recognize the benefits of this and accept it.

I hadn't thought of it but you are right, letting AI kingdoms offer vassalage would be super cool and immersive.

Also you have to be the hardest working person on their last week ever, most people just stop caring, so truly thank you for all your hard work. It won't be forgotten. ?

Actually this week I was mostly out. Arrived work late and only worked 4-5 hours a day or collect old photos from company computer's driver.

Was the idea approved? Important to emphasize:
"Mercenary relations should reset when a war ends, so that mercenaries don't wind up bound to a single faction."

I'm a programming mercenary and I've been waiting for Google to send me an offer of employment for years.

... *sigh* but I suppose if you want a game that's "high fantasy" ....

Back
Top Bottom