Menavlion Infantry

Users who are viewing this thread

I think i mentioned this earlier, but I think TaleWorlds is insistent on how they plan on portraying the Menavlion as a fictional western counterpart to the Japanese naginata. it's likely that all suggestions regarding the balancing of this class would need to involve keeping the fictional weapon in the game.

In my opinion a two-handed sword would be out of place for any of the imperial classes (and....cof see aberrations like the fiann cof ninjarobinhood). The thing is, I could very well see removing that pila and turning it into a Short Two handed double-bitted tzikourion (axe)... the combinations can be very interesting.

So then...

Default: menavlion (working as a pike) + spatha
Perk 1: longer menavlion (working as a pike) / shield / improved armor
Perk 2: imperial javelins / 2h tzikourion / Mace

67tln.jpg

I think menavlion working as a pike + upper slash instead of upper thrust (cannot sideslash) and adding bracing would balance weapon to a good measure (biggest problem imo at moment are noobs who just mash sideslashes and getting friendly fires/ wall strikes, so become useless, and noobs are always 80% of playerbase, so that makes empire very weak)
And hell yeah, tzikourion is cool weapon with cool name, it would make sense on shock unit

I think i mentioned this earlier, but I think TaleWorlds is insistent on how they plan on portraying the Menavlion as a fictional western counterpart to the Japanese naginata. it's likely that all suggestions regarding the balancing of this class would need to involve keeping the fictional weapon in the game.
As long as we play this garbage of MP, we should insiting our own ideas here, TW is bad at brain department as we can see "progress" of upcoming launch of game and we should help their collective "consicusioness" getting back into sane line

Hell, its not even hard at all to fix 50% of MP problems right now, any modder can fix it in a half of a day, its like TW just doesnt cares about MP at all, despite its potential can crush opponent medieval-action-MP games with proper handling.

Some of us players have been advocating for a long time to adapt this weapon with vertical slashes and stabs... it's been 84 years.
That said, I think the "standard/default" menavlion should be differentiated from the long one; let me explain:

• Menavlion "standard/default": No possibility of horizontal swings. Use: vertical slashes and thrust from below.
  • Menavlion "long": No possibility of horizontal swings. Usage: overhead thrust, thrust from below and possibility of brace with X.
  • (*) Menavlion for cavalry: NEVER!
  • (*) Menavlion for ranged: Use as standard type but with a shorter length.

Check out this video showing some possible combinations of perks previously suggested for the loadout of this class.

@Dejan , pls look for our opinions about this weapon, specifically - menavlion on horseback which is catastrophe idea and should not be tweaked/patched, but completely removed as its unrealistic and game-breaking in mass-players MP modes

This might not seem like all that much, but I think a good way to curb the Menavlion's effectiveness would be to make the Long Menavlion unusable when on horseback. From my personal experience, the Long Menavlion is probably THE strongest weapon that a horse thief can ever have since it's got reach that can compete against most lances while also having the ease of use of the Courser's Cavalry Menavlion and Lancer's Heavy Glaive (those particular weapons having a rather unsatisfactory range against most cavalry spears and lances).

This might not seem like all that much, but I think a good way to curb the Menavlion's effectiveness would be to make the Long Menavlion unusable when on horseback. From my personal experience, the Long Menavlion is probably THE strongest weapon that a horse thief can ever have since it's got reach that can compete against most lances while also having the ease of use of the Courser's Cavalry Menavlion and Lancer's Heavy Glaive (those particular weapons having a rather unsatisfactory range against most cavalry spears and lances).
Bruh pls no, just say it with me - usage of any 2h cleaving weapon on horseback is wrong,and usage of any 2h polearm with cleave on horse is wrong on TOO many levels

Both horse menavlion and horse glaive needs to be gone forever into history of EA development of this game as absurd part
Worst part of these weapons is not even their strenghts/weaknesses, but an insult to a realism/immersiveness to a game, its like berserker cavalry, i mean wtf...

Bruh pls no, just say it with me - usage of any 2h cleaving weapon on horseback is wrong,and usage of any 2h polearm with cleave on horse is wrong on TOO many levels

Both horse menavlion and horse glaive needs to be gone forever into history of EA development of this game as absurd part
I mean, using the Menavlion or Heavy Glaive already puts you at a disadvantage against lances, pikes and >180 reach spears and it's apparent to me that swingable polearms from horseback seem to do well to keep the number of enemy archers (crossbowmen especially due to their slower RoF) in check.

Hey, why do these topics exist?
Do we believe anyone related to development has ever seen anything in any of these threads? Or are we wasting their time here?
Im not even sure Callum still works here, maybe some of TW employes just come into his account to make view of him being online...
And yea, we are totally wasting our time here, but hey, since players cant mod MP all we left is to fantasy about a perfect Bannerlord MP... and we share our idiot and not so ideas here :grin:

Since this part of forum is never looked upon by devs, lets make it our offtopic forum for bulls*it
What soda you guys like the most? I can stand only italian brewerages, since they are not 50% refined sugar syrop, also a lot of natural juice in them, high price tho

With Crush Through being given to the Battanian 2H maul, what are the chances that the Heavy Menavlion will have this like in earlier versions of the game?

With Crush Through being given to the Battanian 2H maul, what are the chances that the Heavy Menavlion will have this like in earlier versions of the game?
Sweet lord please no... These were the absolute worst when crush-through was enabled.

Even though i posted a reply on the Recruit thread on how bad the Recruit is, I sincerely doubt that they'll ever make him actually any good so if TaleWorlds is to reinstate the Menavlion Infantry's downside of "Ragequit if you die as this unit", would it perhaps be possible for him to be buffed back to his former glory? (before February 2021)

"kill or die" unit that is barely good if you are facing enemy in close range and you have no 1000+ hours in MP...
Should cost 120 gold in TDM/Siege, should have slightly more armor
default menavlion should be shorter and faster, combine long menavlion and heavy into one weapon
give medium infantry perk as voulger has
replace completely useless right side perk (except cavalry breaker maybe)
also give a long kettlehead as customisation option for a love of Christ, it was a thing in the damn Beta of game how could you not add this

Last edited:
Considering that the Armor Padding perk is probably the most useless one out of the other two perks (shield breaker and cavalry breaker), I wonder if it'd be worth it to have a shortsword perk that grants either a Spatha or Vlandian Shortsword... Or hell, maybe a "Trophy weapon" perk where you can get a shortsword from a random culture with these as the possible outcomes:

Battanian Shortsword
Sturgian Shortsword
Spatha
Bent Ild
Vlandian Shortsword
Flyssa

Considering that the Armor Padding perk is probably the most useless one out of the other two perks (shield breaker and cavalry breaker), I wonder if it'd be worth it to have a shortsword perk that grants either a Spatha or Vlandian Shortsword... Or hell, maybe a "Trophy weapon" perk where you can get a shortsword from a random culture with these as the possible outcomes:

Battanian Shortsword
Sturgian Shortsword
Spatha
Bent Ild
Vlandian Shortsword
Flyssa
what is the point in randomiser perk at all? why not just give spatha+some movement speed bonus? How having random equipment should make gameplay better?

Back
Top Bottom