In Progress Memory leaks are still present(1.4.1 beta)

Is the game playable for you on an 8gb ram machine?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

problemsolver

Im on an 8gb of ram machine at the moment and i can in fact notice that the game takes longer to load and even audio stutters after about 40 minutes of playing, i also have an 8gb of vram gpu, textures from looters take longer to load whereas when you start the game they will load instantly(when you talk to them before attacking) also stutters become prominent after extended gameplay(30 minutes+) for now i'd say the game is partially unplayable on 8gb ram machines due to this.

Last edited:
for me it seems that on sieges and battles, stuttering occured only for 2 seconds, in the begining of scene, the same when i walk to towns or castles, but on campaign map it is unplayable and only when i don't move on map i achieve 60 fps (i've blocked fps to 144hz the same as my monitor).
I've tried with v-sync on/off, doesn't matter, lag occured all the time.

for me it seems that on sieges and battles, stuttering occured only for 2 seconds, in the begining of scene, the same when i walk to towns or castles, but on campaign map it is unplayable and only when i don't move on map i achieve 60 fps (i've blocked fps to 144hz the same as my monitor).
I've tried with v-sync on/off, doesn't matter, lag occured all the time.
8gb of ram machine?

Memory leaks are definitely still there on some PCs, but not all. I have 16GBs of DDR3 RAM and I can clearly see on my memory monitoring software RAM filling up as time passes. Depending on what I'm doing I may need to restart the game after as little as 30 minutes, but usually around an hour, otherwise performance suffers. Big battles are the biggest culprit, but if I have loads of items in my inventory, even opening and closing it noticeably increases RAM use, and each time some of it never gets flushed.
I have started using CleanMem to clean my memory mid game to help with the issue which works to some degree, BUT... the game seems to be writing a lot to my pagefile (virtual memory), which I cannot clear without restarting. So even if I clean my memory and cache, the "commit total" value remains over 16GBs, affecting the performance and continuing to fill up.

Memory leaks are definitely still there on some PCs, but not all. I have 16GBs of DDR3 RAM and I can clearly see on my memory monitoring software RAM filling up as time passes. Depending on what I'm doing I may need to restart the game after as little as 30 minutes, but usually around an hour, otherwise performance suffers. Big battles are the biggest culprit, but if I have loads of items in my inventory, even opening and closing it noticeably increases RAM use, and each time some of it never gets flushed.
I have started using CleanMem to clean my memory mid game to help with the issue which works to some degree, BUT... the game seems to be writing a lot to my pagefile (virtual memory), which I cannot clear without restarting. So even if I clean my memory and cache, the "commit total" value remains over 16GBs, affecting the performance and continuing to fill up.
Interesting info, i hope the developers pay attention to our prayers. I'll try to study the pagefile behavior you noticed and'll see if it is reproducible on my rig. But yeah in the past i did indeed notice quite a huge pagefile usage just like you're saying, i just didn't study its behavior afterwards.

I have started using CleanMem to clean my memory mid game to help with the issue which works to some degree
Yes, it will help, but not for memory leak.
Basically, OS will allocate a certain amount of memory for process to run, which for our case, this game. As the process executes, itself will allocate more memory dynamically whenever the scenario demands. Memory leaks happen when the scenario switches to less demanding moment, but memory were not fully de-allocated (back to OS). And when memory demanding scenario occurs again, it will ask for "new" sets of memory to be allocated from OS since the previous set of memory were not being de-allocated. This goes on and on, until our system runs out of memory, and system stutter/hang/crash will occur. In OS perspective, these memory are still "reserved" by the process, other process cannot use them, such as CleanMem, hence even with utility such as CleanMem won't help much. CleanMem helps in releasing memory that were already being deallocated by the process "faster" than OS released them for reuse in other process or same process.
So, still have to depend on developer to fix the issue. And yes, recently I myself fixes lots of memory leak leftover by previous developers for my own job. Very frustrating to see this happening in this game too.

Last edited:
but to be honest, for me it is because of one mod installed that caused the memory leak, and i am talking about Calradia Expanded.

There is a "Bannerlord performance test" patch available, people who are having these issues should probably give that a try so that devs can gather data, if you haven't already done so.

There is a "Bannerlord performance test" patch available, people who are having these issues should probably give that a try so that devs can gather data, if you haven't already done so.
Considering the nature of the problem, I'm not sure it would work. As far as I understand you're supposed to make a short video of the issue (using the tool), which will get some data attached to it. But the issue is RAM being filled up making everything borderline unusable, which could make the tool unusable. At least that's my assumption based on trying to record Bannerlord Youtube videos, which failed miserably.

Considering the nature of the problem, I'm not sure it would work. As far as I understand you're supposed to make a short video of the issue (using the tool), which will get some data attached to it. But the issue is RAM being filled up making everything borderline unusable, which could make the tool unusable. At least that's my assumption based on trying to record Bannerlord Youtube videos, which failed miserably.

Oh that wouldn't work, yes. I never had issues myself so I haven't actually used the patch, I figured they would automatically record additional data from your computer.

At that same period, upon loading up previous saved game, will your background music sounds corrupted in beginning?
Not sure, I never really load a save while in-game. Whenever something bad happens that would make me want to load, I use the opportunity to restart the whole game to get some RAM back, and restarting fixes any problems for the next 30 minutes or so.
I don't recall music sounding 'corrupted' at any time, other than sometimes simply stopping for a second or two.

The fact that this problem only happens after about 30-40 minutes of playing and NEVER before such a period of time indicates that the game might not be releasing some ram that's no longer needed, or like one person here said, it's overusing the pagefile. Whatever the case the game could be working fine but these problems hinder it's long term playability.

Back
Top Bottom