[MBMC] Mount & Blade Modding Contest [Q3][Scening] - [Sponsored by TaleWorlds]

Users who are viewing this thread

Dejan

Community Manager
The Mount & Blade Modding Contest - Q3 2019

JzFJK.png

Theme: Singleplayer Castle Siege Scenes

Greetings everyone!

We've had some amazing submissions made to the Mount & Blade Modding Contest in all areas: Scening, 3D Art, Scripting and 2D art. All submissions have been afterwards released as OSP for our community members to use within their own projects. You can find all the previous contests in our Hall of Fame.

This time around we're going for something different! With a longer submission period and some very appealing rewards, we're hoping we'll appeal to all the sceners within our community to participate! In addition to all the generous sponsors and our veteran judging committee, we are also hosting Gökçen Karaağaç "Cuce" (Level Designer at TW) as a 4th judge. Let's show him what we can come up with!

The theme of the contest is: Singleplayer Castle Siege Scenes. We're searching for the most creative, bad-ass, believable, fun and beautiful castle siege scenes you guys can come up with! Feel free to let your imagination run wild! Keep in mind that your scenes don't have to be "Visitation" compatible, we will leave that task up to the modders (converting the "Siege" scene to "Visitation"). We understand that this might have a lower OSP value but are very much looking forward to what you guys can create free of chains! The scene should still feature the whole castle, so not just a small section of the walls.

Good luck to all participants and make sure to ask below if there are any uncertainties!

Contest Information

Module: Native
Submission Start Date: June 15th 2019 00:00
Submission End Date: September 30th 2019 23:59
Sponsored By: TaleWorlds Entertainment, Khamukkamu, NPC99

MBMC Rules:
  • You may only submit your work during the submission time period specified above.
  • Submit only your original work, no derivatives of another asset or asset theft is allowed.
  • By submitting your work to the contest, you agree that it will be shared as open source with all the submissions at the end of the contest, according to the open source license provided here.
  • In case there's a monetary reward, it's given out only if there are 3 or more submissions.
  • Contest rewards will be distributed to the first three winning participants and not the three highest rated submissions.

Scening Contest Rules:
  • Submissions must include the AI mesh.
  • Submissions must include suitable entry points - Tutorial.
  • Submissions must include entry points 0 and 32 for the purpose of MP testing.
  • You may submit up to three works to the contest.
  • You may submit previously made scenes if they haven't been released as OSP/LSP yet.
  • You are allowed to post screenshots of your work using client-side mods for Native or visual enhancements, but keep in mind that the scenes will be reviewed on a clean copy of Native, and some of your props and settings may not work as intended if you use third-party add-ons during creation.
You are encouraged to post screenshots of your submission as you work on it within this topic!

Evaluation System

The submissions will be rated on a points system, based on their performance in the following categories: Visuals, Gameplay, Innovativeness. Once the submission end date is reached and the submissions are closed, the judges will review the scenes.

Explanation of the categories:

Visuals (40 points)- How well the different scene features fit into each other, the composition of scene props, quality of ground texture and painting work, terrain realism, details and touches.
Gameplay (40 points)- How well the scene plays out in a singleplayer siege scenario with the battle size setting on 150 (includes evaluation of the AI mesh, entry points, walking distances,...).
Innovativeness (40 points)- The use of new and fresh concepts while designing the look, gameplay, and setting of the scene.

Total points: 40 (Visuals) + 40 (Gameplay) + 40 (Innovativeness) = 120

Judging Committee

The judging committee consists of experienced sceners and veterans within their own field of expertise.

Contest Rewards
1st place

1x Mount&Blade II Bannerlord cd-key
100€ (125€)
1st place MBMC Badge
2nd place

70€ (85€)
2nd place MBMC Badge
3rd place

30€ (40€)
3rd place MBMC Badge

Sponsors & Rewards

- 3x Mount&Blade II Bannerlord cd-key sponsored by TaleWorlds Entertainment.
- 100€ (+50€ in case of 15 or more submissions which is reflected under "Contest Rewards") sponsored by Khamukkamu.
- 100€ sponsored by NPC99.
- Eternal place in the Mount & Blade Modding Contest Hall of Fame.
- Badges to showcase your achievement across the forums (by Efe Karacar).

Submitting Your Work

You can use the below form to submit your scene. If you make any edits or changes after your first submission, it'll be accepted if it is re-submitted within the submission deadline. Name your scene as you see fit, and please try to use a stable file hosting service (Google Drive, Mediafire, Dropbox, Mega.nz,...).

Code:
[b]Forum username:
Scene name:
Scene download link:
Terrain code:[/b]

By submitting this work I agree to the rules and regulations of this contest.

Forum username: William The Bear
Scene name: Famously Handsome Castle
Scene download link: http://www.downloadlinkexample.com
Terrain code:
scn_castle_8_exterior castle_8_exterior 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x314d060900036cd70000295300002ec9000025f3
outer_terrain_plain

By submitting this work I agree to the rules and regulations of this contest.

Join The Modding Discord
Sponsored By

Last edited:
It's definitely the closest we've come to seeing a Banerlord cd-key, good initiative and great rewards.

Good luck to all the participants, this time it won't be for lack of time, if math doesn't fail me, 107 days to present projects... from here something great can come out, a lot of encouragement.

Hi
Basicly i don't understend this part
our scenes don't have to be "Visitation" compatible, we will leave that task up to the modders (converting the "Siege" scene to "Visitation")
What visitation exacly means for you ?

Andzi Proxy said:
Hi
Basicly i don't understend this part
our scenes don't have to be "Visitation" compatible, we will leave that task up to the modders (converting the "Siege" scene to "Visitation")
What visitation exacly means for you ?

Currently, in native, the castle scene is implemented with a single file. A scene that is created for both sieges (with ladders and siege towers) and "Visitation" ("Take a walk around the streets" option). When sieging a castle that scene is presented and when on "Visitation" the scene props irrelevant to sieges get removed via scripts (ladders, siege towers,...).

79ccebdbd6ceb9693825adb04954decc.png

With this contest we want the sceners to give it their best in creating a believable siege scene which in most cases creates the scene too different from the one that could be used in "Visitation" by just removing the specific scene props via scripts. Examples: Broken walls, barriers in the courtyard, buildings in flames,... The task of creating that "Visitation" scene will be then left up to the modders by modifying the siege scene if they want to use it in their mods. The scene should feature the whole castle and not just part of the walls though.

Additionally: Creating an interior scene and a prison scene is NOT required.

Hope that clears it up!

Firunien said:
Cool contest, should the map only use native scene props ?
Yes, native scene props only.

Ettenrocal said:
For now scening contest are always on Native, maybe another module one day ?
Keeping the contest submissions on the native module provides the biggest OSP value for the community as the mods can in most cases utilize these scenes while the contrary doesn't hold true. Scenes made for a specific mod can't be used in another without heavy reworks. But yes, we're keeping that option on the table for special contests and perhaps when the modding activity will justify it (after BL release).

Nice to hear that even if OSP would need heavy rework, this is also better than nothing, and it would greatly help a mod, so in a way it also help modding community. Community could vote for the mod they want the contest help (and if the mod team is ok indeed) that could be fun.

I'm looking at castle pictures to get inspiration, i should not wait too much to start my scene cause i'm very slow ^^

How about this?But there is some osp staff in scenes :smile:
don't know if you can see my pictures~

Maybe I should make some  new native scenes for this great reward,if I am very luck

forum.php

forum.php

forum.php

forum.php

Is performance judgement going to be a big part of this? Most of my scening was done for PW, where.... many sacrifices and design choices had to be made to try and keep the framerate as high as possible, while making it look nice. Efficiency and all that.
Like, finding a balance between the 40 points in visuals and 40 in gameplay, could kind of detract from eachother, yknow?

Really anything negative would probably go against the overall score. Map causing FPS issues, clipping issues with props, seeing the sky through the ground etc. Elevated AI mesh is my worst issue with map making. No idea how bots going up the seige ladders will go >_>

xombie5 said:
Is performance judgement going to be a big part of this? Most of my scening was done for PW, where.... many sacrifices and design choices had to be made to try and keep the framerate as high as possible, while making it look nice. Efficiency and all that.
Like, finding a balance between the 40 points in visuals and 40 in gameplay, could kind of detract from eachother, yknow?

Performance has always been one of the toughest categories to rate and even define. In the previous contests, we've rated performance based on scene file size. With this contest, we've moved away from that and not finding a suitable evaluation method decided to integrate performance into gameplay. If there are big issues in regards to FPS that will reflect on your gameplay score.

I understand the predicament but you will simply have to find the right balance.

If you have an alternative suggestion please propose it. The contest details aren't finalized until it starts (June 15th 2019 00:00).

As it's being judged as a SP scene with 150 bots... is that 75 a side? And are there reinforcements? Or should I try to make it in mind that everyone who starts on the walls is going to be all there is?

xombie5 said:
As it's being judged as a SP scene with 150 bots... is that 75 a side? And are there reinforcements? Or should I try to make it in mind that everyone who starts on the walls is going to be all there is?

My guess would be that it's meant to be a functional scene for SP, meaning that it should support reinforcements.

Yifeng_konjac said:
How about this?But there is some osp staff in scenes :smile:
don't know if you can see my pictures~

Maybe I should make some  new native scenes for this great reward,if I am very luck

forum.php

forum.php

forum.php

forum.php

Looking good, but I would call the mid-2 a city, not a castle  :razz:

William The Bear said:

Back
Top Bottom