[MBMC] Mount & Blade Modding Contest [October 2018][3D Art]

Users who are viewing this thread

NPC99 said:
It doesn't need editing, it just looked as though you'd managed to get a smoother normal map in certain areas (such as the ship hull and windows) than elsewhere. The normal map generators I've used tend to treat the whole image the same way.

Do a levels adjustment before converting if you want that. For this kind of thing I'd actually keep the gradients, just try to reduce/remove the shiny highlights (again with levels adjustment) and any other out of place bits.

kraggrim said:
NPC99 said:
It doesn't need editing, it just looked as though you'd managed to get a smoother normal map in certain areas (such as the ship hull and windows) than elsewhere. The normal map generators I've used tend to treat the whole image the same way.

Do a levels adjustment before converting if you want that. For this kind of thing I'd actually keep the gradients, just try to reduce/remove the shiny highlights (again with levels adjustment) and any other out of place bits.

Thanks. I've tried level adjustments on desaturated images, but with mixed results so far. I'll stick with it and see if I can improve.  :grin:

Forum username: Avelium
Submission name: Shield of Tuor
Download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1q9pVfpzLwm7aVDl_9bkyU__PVw-l5Tzs

5mbjvyQ.png

QgDr0lr.png

k37TM9y.png
aib8MRG.png

n3lUT6h.png
Tuor is an ancient hero from LotR Universe. He owns a unique set of armor and a fancy shield :smile:
Then Tuor marvelling saw that on the wall behind the throne were hung a shield and a great hauberk, and a helm and a long sword in a sheath. ... But the shield was of a shape strange to Tuor's eyes, for it was long and tapering; and its field was blue, in the midst of which was wrought an emblem of a white swan's wing. Then Tuor spoke, and his voice rang as a challenge in the roof: "By this token I will take these arms unto myself, and upon myself whatsoever doom they bear."...

By submitting this work I agree to the rules and regulations of this contest.

Avelium said:
Submission name: Shield of Tuor
Download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1q9pVfpzLwm7aVDl_9bkyU__PVw-l5Tzs

5mbjvyQ.png

QgDr0lr.png

k37TM9y.png
aib8MRG.png

n3lUT6h.png
Tuor is an ancient hero from LotR Universe. He owns a unique set of armor and a fancy shield :smile:
Then Tuor marvelling saw that on the wall behind the throne were hung a shield and a great hauberk, and a helm and a long sword in a sheath. ... But the shield was of a shape strange to Tuor's eyes, for it was long and tapering; and its field was blue, in the midst of which was wrought an emblem of a white swan's wing. Then Tuor spoke, and his voice rang as a challenge in the roof: "By this token I will take these arms unto myself, and upon myself whatsoever doom they bear."...

Looking great.  :grin:

Submission name: Shield of Everlasting Vow
Download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lYMLH62lT0Vmv1mfqlKENka8tGxPnT3r

2EeIqMN.png

7yM9ZGm.png

pnF3RX0.png

1cCV7YV.png
gtZPjmp.png

5IapK4W.png
Through ages this curse I bear. Bound by a solemn vow with you, my lord. Your name is ashes, your deeds are long forgotten, but empty eyeholes are still watching forthcoming doom of mine.

Forum username: Mandible
Submission name: Rhodok Bear Shield
Download link:https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ssYcIzlQhma1gzn8Kz6x1kpVoyuy10cU

k7899.jpg

dHkwm.jpg

(Finally got around to drawing my own heraldic bear)
BVXVz.png

hBex9.jpg

eBQyr.jpg

L06u1.jpg

https://skfb.ly/6CCYA

By submitting this work I agree to all the rules and such.

Forum username: Burspa
Submission name: Green Dragon Shield
Download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=11z_YlKisGxAq52Uex0kE2jqkB1r1WEpS

C8OFP.png
4s7WW.png
ZUTwX.png
nGjrF.png
4FbJ9.png

My 2 cents too, for ****s and giggles:

Forum username: Leonion
Submission name: Fantasy Shield
h-389.jpg
WIP screenshots:
3XE7Dmu.jpg

3XE7EsU.jpg
Download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fdPn_KUaunyTB3V4gg670iXjnlYHskJ2/view?usp=sharing

Forum username: JFire
Submission name: Nobleman adarga shield
Download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sorUYIEEKgdtcBPrb3puShdJFeW9HXsr

VYDELENIE_012.jpg

]

mb6.jpg

VYDELENIE_009.jpg

VYDELENIE_011.jpg

Here we are. The submission deadline has come and you guys produced some great shields. As noted before, it's going to be a hard job for the judging committee :razz:

All the submissions will now be checked in-game and evaluated by the judges.

Untitled2.png

Contest Results

Greetings everyone!

Our second 3D Art contest has come to an end and what a contest it was! The quality and variety of submissions presented during this contest was really awesome. The judges had their work cut out for them but they delivered so here are the final results:

Kraggrim.png
Avelium2.png
Avelium3.png

1st Place - Shield of the Heavens by Kraggrim - 67/76 points
xYfu3.jpg
The oddly shaped shield with "a very weird but functional design" made by Kraggrim stole the 1st spot amongst the shield champions. "Very intricate and thought out design, really good normal map and geometry execution.", "This is a bold design with some inventive tricks to make it feasible.", "The textures make use of a modest amount of texel space to depict a highly complex shape.", "The colours and roughness values are a bit off though, making the golden parts look plastic-ish and bringing down the piece as a whole visually." were some of the comments made by the judges bringing this submission ahead of all the others with a score of 24/27/16. One of the two most original submissions in this contest! Congratulations to Kraggrim for winning the 3D Art contest for the second time in a row!

2nd Place - Shield of Tuor by Avelium - 63/76 points
aib8MRG.png
n3lUT6h.png
Avelium managed to bring down the house with 2 whooping submissions. The first of the 2 being the Shield of Tuor that blew the judges away in terms of visuals. "It has everything: it is elegantly shaped, the textures, geometry and normals are spotless, the wear is not overboard but is just enough to make it look like a real shield. The details on the borders, the cloth and seams on the arm guard on the back, the wing ornamentation, the flutings on the boss, everything about this is good. It has some small issues on the border to the back part. Unusual shield shape, yet functional looking, with beautifully crafted ornaments and details.", " I am at a loss as how to improve this as every detail seems well accounted for, from the subtle scratches on the edges of the shield to the varying specular for the painted wings." The submission was rated the highest between all the submissions in the Visuals category with the score of 28/22/13! Well done and congratulations to Avelium!

3rd Place - Shield of Everlasting Vow by Avelium - 61/76 points
gtZPjmp.png
5IapK4W.png
The Shield of Everlasting Vow! And boy, did it "wow" the judges. The submission received top marks from all the judges and is really unique with the overall score of 27/27/7. "That's a very interesting design. Though cheesy, it's really well executed and resolved. It's certainly one of a kind. Really original and thought out. Too bad the colours are really washed out and the metal is almost indistinguishable from the bone.", "Avelium's second entry makes excellent use of Warband's limitations, depicting metal and bone with a level of believability which rivals the best assets in the base game. I am impressed at how such a complex design could be boiled down to suit warband's rendering setup. Some of the bones have hard edges which emphasise the polygons, and I am sure these edges could have been hidden better, or incorporated into the bake." With the lower score in the Performance category the submission landed on the 3rd spot! Well done Avelium!

Honourable Mention - Rhodok Bear Shield by Mandible - 59/76 points
hBex9.jpg
Right behind that follows the great Rhodok Bear Shield made by Mandible! "Overall looks are great. It's gritty and battle-worn, I like how the design is fully committed to this concept. Texture and material quality is really good - though the height of the metal parts look like they're below the rest of the shield, and I don't think it's how it's supposed to be.", "This Rhodok pavise is of a familiar design, but I feel there are some interesting aspects which give it an edge over a mere reskin of the native asset. The deep scratches on the shield continue on from the metal rim to the canvas centre, exposing the wood underneath. There is a distinct stylisation of otherwise common elements here, with the relatively flat metal punctuated by broad scratches, bright specular, and harshly sculpted normals which make this shield look as if it's been plucked from a game like Borderlands or the Walking Dead. However, this is brought down by the excessively grungy metal, which contrasts too much with the almost bright orange wood on the back." With the total score of 24/22/13 this submission made it right to the stairs of the podium for the winners!

Honourable Mention - Dragon Count's Shield by Weren - 56/76 points
AtgwL.png
Another great submission in a row of amazing submissions concluded during the contest! A shield worthy of Aegon Targaryen, first of his name and lord of the seven kingdoms! :twisted: "It's surely almost spotless in the execution. Clean textures, really smooth silhouette and interesting use of shapes. The design, though having a very interesting low-fantasy quasi-realistic flavour, is a bit lacklustre in ornaments if you consider this should be a nobility thing, it's kinda plain and simple for that purpose.", "The contrast between striking red and the cold white of the shield and metal gives this piece a solid structure in design. The wooden panels show through the paint just enough to be convincing, while still allowing the vibrant colours to stand out. The dragon's head and arms are a nice touch and don't intrude too much on the overall shape. The paint job is a little too clean and flat from certain angles, and some of the gaps between the wooden planks are too abrupt.", "The Dragon Count's Shield has taken a common shield design and added a nice twist to it." With the total score of 27/19/10 this submission concluded the contest on the brilliant 5th place! A submission with great OSP value that will surely be used in many mods to come!

Honourable Mention - Green Dragon Shield by Burspa - 54/76 points
nGjrF.png
Very ambitious design, not so hot on execution. It's good enough you can see exactly where the author wanted to go with it, but not good enough its flaws don't make it look somewhat weird and out of place. The materials are not well realised, for instance, it's hard to distinguish if the borders are meant to be ivory or a very light metal.", "This low poly styled, low-resolution shield offers a conventionally high fantasy design. However, I can see several areas where better care could have been taken to achieve the initial goal. It is clearly designed to be viewed from further away, reminiscent of an RTS game or a top-down RPG, and in a setting such as that its bold painted design would shine. But in an attempt to bring it in line with the rest of Warband's assets I feel it misses some beats." The submission made by Burspa concluded with the total score of 20/18/16. Well done!

Other Submissions
                                - Nobleman round shield by JFire - 49/76 (23/13/13) points
                                - Nobleman agarda shield by JFire - 45/76 (17/15/13) points
                                - Fantasy Shield by Leonion - 42/76 (12/21/9) points
                                - Hoplite Shield by NPC99 - 36/76 (11/12/13) points
                                - Tutshield by Exima - 16/76 (5/8/3) points

Feel free to contact us if you want specifics about your submissions' ratings & comments!

Afterword

This has really been an amazing contest that produced a large number of quality submissions that will surely be used in many mods to come! We would like to extend our thanks to everyone that made this contest possible! First and foremost we would like to thank everyone that participated in the contest by submitting their workpiece! Your participation is the ultimate goal of this contest and we're glad that you've taken up the call!

Thanks to SacredStoneHead, Jacobhinds and John.M for taking the time to evaluate the submissions and thank you Efe Karacar for making the medals!

We would also like to thank our sponsors, NPC99 and Nexus Mods for providing the prize money that will now be redistributed to the winners (Winners, contact me to collect your reward)! Thank you very much!

We will compile all the submissions into a .rar file and upload them to Nexus Mods shortly! The download link will be posted in all relevant places.

On the final note, we would also like to invite you all to provide feedback in regards to the contest down below!

Sponsored By

thanks.png

Sad I couldn't join this month's contest, however I wish to congratulate myself with the winners and all of the participants for a wide array of high quality assets, which will benefit the modding community. Well done.

Back
Top Bottom