[MBMC] Mount & Blade Modding Contest [January 2019][Scening]

Users who are viewing this thread

Ettenrocal said:
I hope the next scening contest will be something more "popular" like castles or towns, that is what is the more needed as OSP and somehting more "abordable": as a noob scener i was like ""secret places" hummm oh ok i give up". These scenes are wonderful but not many will use these.

Well there are some RPG mods that will surely use it. Creative modders can use them for a lot more things other than boring village/castle/town scenes.

Also, congratulations for all of the participants (kinda disappointed the library wasn't placed first but all scenes are equally great!).

I'll quote you the day i'll see one of these scenes in many mods, to say you were right, for now sorry but its just what's YOU believe. And why village/castle/town scenes are boring ? That's just what i was saying: maybe cause we need ones ? Or maybe you just don't like village/castle/senes and so i wonder why you play Warband...

I have passed month to search for OSP scenes of castles and towns and there is not so much good ones. But you will probably quote me to say the opposite ?

Stephen Dinavoa scenes are without AI mesh and with special props and on hundred of scenes almost none will be compatible for your mod, most of OSP scenes are not finished or without AI mesh, if you don't have AI mesh in a scene it's better you do all the scene yourself.

The best OSP scenes are ones from Adorno from 2011 ! And the ones from TLD. The Bowman scenes too but very big scenes maybe a little bit hard for performance, and this is mostly very big cities.

Ettenrocal said:
I'll quote you the day i'll see one of these scenes in many mods, to say you were right, for now sorry but its just what's YOU believe. And why village/castle/town scenes are boring ? That's just what i was saying: maybe cause we need ones ? Or maybe you just don't like village/castle/senes and so i wonder why you play Warband...

I have passed month to search for OSP scenes of castles and towns and there is not so much good ones. But you will probably quote me to say the opposite ?

Stephen Dinavoa scenes are without AI mesh and with special props and on hundred of scenes almost none will be compatible for your mod, most of OSP scenes are not finished or without AI mesh, if you don't have AI mesh in a scene it's better you do all the scene yourself.

The best OSP scenes are ones from Adorno from 2011 ! And the ones from TLD. The Bowman scenes too but very big scenes maybe a little bit hard for performance, and this is mostly very big cities.

I don't deny anything you said. You wonder why I play Warband? I barely do because of boring and repetitive experience. It might've been fun like five years ago but now I'm only modding the game in the meantime by adding new scripts and making it completely different experience gameplay wise. Pretty sure I'm not alone too (take Sevenheart mod as an example). No offence, but most of the mods are just Native retextures with new town/village/castle scenes and no new mechanics which are boring in my opinion. That's why we need more special OSP scenes. Not everyone is talented artist who can create visual masterpiece like our participants here. I for example can't create even a simple interesting scene because of my lack of creativity in this subject.

Do you know why there aren't many mods out there that will make use of those scenes? Because of things I said above. Most of the mods are repetitive Native retextures. I'm sorry if anyone feels offended because of what I said, I did not intend it - just saying the sad truth out loud.

We should end our discussion here because this thread was created for a different purpose. If you feel like adding anything to it - please do it in PM. Take care!

No actually, I find this discussion very relevant. Creating OSP value is one of the aims of the contest, which should obviously both be reflected in the theme as well as the evaluation system. So I think it's important that modders actually give some feedback on what makes a scene useful for them and what kind of themes they'd like to see in the future.

InVain said:
In case anyone's interested, here's my sheet. :smile: Turns out it reflects the overall outcome pretty well. But of course, I don't know the other judge's evaluation nor what they focused on.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/stqafuqrj3cfjxl/Scening%20contest.xlsx?dl=0

For what you've written, a 6/10 for visuals on my library seems a bit harsh. I'm a bit disappointed with that considering the feedback I got from pretty much everyone else here. Can you elaborate on this a bit?

No problem Masterancza, sorry if i was a little bit hard, i was just like "what have this guy against castle or town scenes :mad:" i'm sometimes a little bit vindicative. I think with simple themes in contest maybe there will be more peoples participating, those scenes are great especially with a not easy theme, fore sure somebody can find some use to them but still some castles scenes would benefit more to community; more participants more scenes more variety ! But also you're right on a point sticking to native can give you this feeling of the same scenes (even if changing textures walls is pretty easy) where these ones of the contest are very originals for sure so it pleases to see something new.

InVain said:
In case anyone's interested, here's my sheet. :smile: Turns out it reflects the overall outcome pretty well. But of course, I don't know the other judge's evaluation nor what they focused on.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/stqafuqrj3cfjxl/Scening%20contest.xlsx?dl=0

Most of your evaluation is completely fair, but come on man, search for the secret for a little bit on the island...
I intentionally didn't show it on screenshots, so there is actually a little bit of exploration involved for the testing :razz:
(I didn't know that there is no playtest before the results are decided)
The island is very small, so finding the treasure and Scurvy Hobson shouldn't be hard :smile:

SageMcQuincy said:
For what you've written, a 6/10 for visuals on my library seems a bit harsh. I'm a bit disappointed with that considering the feedback I got from pretty much everyone else here. Can you elaborate on this a bit?

Sure! For the visual category I placed big emphasis on 'technical' issues. In your case, there where quite a few very noticable issues (like the prop flickering, the missing interior shadow props, the scripted props that had no purpose) which inhibited the visual quality. Most of these would be easy enough to fix, granted. But they were there.

I admit I'm also very nitpicky. You'll notice I complained about missing terrain shading for every scene.  :shifty: People, don't ignore terrain shading!

Akathir said:
Most of your evaluation is completely fair, but come on man, search for the secret for a little bit on the island...
I intentionally didn't show it on screenshots, so there is actually a little bit of exploration involved for the testing :razz:
The island is very small, so finding the treasure and Scurvy Hobson shouldn't be hard :smile:

But of course I found the secret! Sorry if it came across as if I hadn't. I meant to say that it doesn't play any role in the mission template you'd chosen.

Those shadow props, the more i heard of them the more i'm afraid start a new scene. Is this very common to use them ?

As an idea: next contest could be castles using Stronghold Conquest as a base there is Al mansur props now and really nice last Adorno wood props, why stick to native ?

Ettenrocal said:
Those shadow props, the more i heard of them the more i'm afraid start a new scene. Is this very common to use them ?

As an idea: next contest could be castles using Stronghold Conquest as a base there is Al mansur props now and really nice last Adorno wood props, why stick to native ?

I think the sticking to Native is due to being open source and that it should be possible to use for as many people as possible without the need of new ressources (even if they are inside an OSP).

Sometimes i imported scenes in different mods and the props were working (rarely), i don't know much about installation of props packs but if you install them the same way in different module systems must be compatible in fact ? So if we indicate how to make them compatible for every mods it could be possible, but i understand it could not be that simple. Or maybe create a communtiy module system who would be a base mod.

Anyway, the compatibility is problematic but for average scener it would not be that hard just replace the props with the good ones, but could be also quite long if there is many details in a scene coming from prop packs.

Or maybe just ask Taleworlds integrate the best props packs, i know i can dream^^

Akathir said:
Are you saying the judges didn't test the scenes, but only looked at them?
I tested all the scenes quite extensively, and did not miss all the great details - the shark in the water and the hidden grotto e.g. - in the Booty Beach scene.
Making bamboo huts with bamboo spears, gold coins with yellow dye, a necklace with maize... Not to mention the palmtree lookout post.
All those details and more, along with a good layout, a consistent style and flawless AI mesh, made me place that scene as the winner.

I understand why some think The Library scene is better. It is undoubtedly a magnificent piece of work.
Mainly 3 things were drawbacks. 1) It doesn't quite fit the theme (hidden place) although I do understand SageMcQuincy explanation (the book in the cage etc.), 2) the AI mesh doesn't cover the entire scene, and 3) the inventiveness with scene props means it has eyesores in certain places. It's not easy using scene props in so many ways they were not designed for, and still get a consistent style. Overall a close second place for me.

I was sad to place Proton's scene last. It's a really good, interesting scene. But especially the poor AI mesh was an issue. Anyone using the scene in their mod would have to clean it up (there's a lot of unused mesh to delete) and fix the places where the NPCs get stuck.
Having made hundreds of scenes I've learned "a scene is only as good as its AI mesh" :smile:

Adorno said:
Akathir said:
Are you saying the judges didn't test the scenes, but only looked at them?
I tested all the scenes quite extensively, and did not miss all the great details - the shark in the water and the hidden grotto e.g. - in the Booty Beach scene.
Making bamboo huts with bamboo spears, gold coins with yellow dye, a necklace with maize... Not to mention the palmtree lookout post.
All those details and more, along with a good layout, a consistent style and flawless AI mesh, made me place that scene as the winner.

No, i didnt mean that at all, i didn't want to include the treasure in the screenshots, so when there is a public playtest, there are some surpises left. :smile:
The entrance is somewhat hidden, so i thought it might be possible to miss it, which was obviously not the case. :grin:

Congratulations to all participants and thank you once again to everyone that helped make this contest happen!

All submissions have been packed and made available here:
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,376632.msg9081780.html#msg9081780

Back
Top Bottom