[MBMC] Mount & Blade Modding Contest [January 2019][Scening]

Users who are viewing this thread

Dejan

Community Manager
The Mount & Blade Modding Contest - January 2019

Untitled2.png

Theme: Secret Places

This time around we have decided to go with a theme that allows different mission templates while having a common trait: "Secrecy". Anything from a secret village in the mountains, cave systems, various scenes suitable for quests, indoor scenes, assassin hideouts, etc. goes. Neither size or entry points are specified. Let your imagination run wild and the judges will rate your submissions based on Visuals, Gameplay and Innovativeness.

[size=18pt]Announcement

The third scening contest is here! And boy are we excited to see what the community will come up with this time. When the contest reaches the submission end date we'll organise a public test on a server where we'll explore all the fine submissions together!

We would also like to wish a happy new year to everyone! :party: May it be eventful, productive and full of good things! We're very happy with the way contests have been going and can't wait to see what 2019 will bring.

Contest Information

Theme: Secret Places
Module: Native
Submission Start Date: January 1st 2019 00:00     
Submission End Date: January 31st 2019 23:59
Sponsored By: NPC99

Rules:
  • You may only submit your work during the submission time period specified above.
  • Submit only your original work, no derivatives of another scene or scene theft is allowed.
  • Submissions must include the AI mesh.
  • Submissions must include entry points 0 and 32 for the purpose of MP testing.
  • Submissions must include entry points suitable to your mission template - Tutorial.
  • You may submit up to three works for the contest, they'll be treated as separate submissions.
  • You have to post screenshots of your work in progress in at least two different stages of completion, to confirm it is your creation. You are free to post more.
  • You are allowed to post screenshots of your work using client-side mods for Native or visual enhancements, but keep in mind that the scenes will be reviewed on a clean copy of Native, and some of your props and settings may not work as intended if you use third-party add-ons during creation.
  • By submitting your work to the contest, you agree that it will be shared as open source with all the submissions at the end of the contest, according to the open source license provided here.

Evaluation System

The submissions will be rated on a points system, based on their performance in the following categories: Visuals, Gameplay, Innovativeness, Performance. Once the submission end date is reached and the submissions are closed, the judges will review the scenes.

Explanation of the categories:

Visuals (30 points)- How well the different scene features fit into each other, the composition of props, quality of ground texture and painting work, terrain realism, details and touches.
Gameplay (12 points)- Evaluation of the AI mesh and reasonable placement of entry points.
Innovativeness (30 points)- The use of new and fresh concepts while designing the look, gameplay, and setting of the scene.
Performance (10 points) - The performance and optimization of a scene. An objective category based on the size of the scene (you can gain the maximum 10 points if your scene is <=300kb, 9 points if <=400kb, 8 points if <=500kb,...).

Total points: 30 (Visuals) + 12 (Gameplay) + 30 (Innovativeness) + 10 (Performance) = 82

Judging Committee

The judging committee is comprised of experienced sceners and trusted members of our community:

Contest Rewards

- Medals to showcase your achievement across the forums (by Efe Karacar)
- Eternal place in the Mount & Blade Modding Contest Hall of Fame
- €60 prize pool sponsored by NPC99 (distributed to first 3 places: 30-20-10€)

Submitting Your Work

You can use the below form to submit your scene. If you make any edits or changes after your first submission, it'll be accepted if it is re-submitted within the submission deadline. Name your scene as you see fit, and please try to use a stable file hosting service (Google Drive, Mediafire, Dropbox, Mega.nz,...).

Code:
[b]Forum username:[/b]
[b]Scene name:[/b]
[b]Mission type:[/b]
[b]WIP screenshots:[/b]
[b]Scene download link:[/b] 
[b]Terrain code:[/b] 

By submitting this work I agree to the rules and regulations of this contest.

Forum username: BNS Marko
Scene name: Misty Plain
Mission type: Village
WIP screenshots: https://i.redd.it/gyc8pvgu0b3z.jpg, https://i.redd.it/gyc8pvgu0b3z.jpg
Scene download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/kfoj0zlc6v2fb00/scn_multi_scene_19.sco
Terrain code:
scn_multi_scene_19 multi_scene_19 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x00000001300389800003a4ea000058340000637a0000399b
outer_terrain_plain

By submitting this work I agree to the rules and regulations of this contest.

Join The Modding Discord

So... are there any requirements regarding what it should be, the entry points, the size etc.?
Or just "secret place"?

P.S. The submission form lacks screenshot category. Is it intended?

Leonion said:
So... are there any requirements regarding what it should be, the entry points, the size etc.?
Or just "secret place"?

P.S. The submission form lacks screenshot category. Is it intended?

The following line was added to contest rules:
- Submissions must include entry points 0 and 32 for the purpose of MP testing.

Further clarification in regards to entry points, the size and theme of the contest will be posted shortly.

Fixed the submission form as well. Thank you for noticing!

Rewards Update

A €60 prize pool has also been donated by NPC99! Thank you very much for supporting the contest participants in their endeavours!

I'm honoured to be a judge this time, and looking forward to see the contributions! :grin:

Like Leonion, I was wondering what the scene should be usable for. Should there be village walkers? Should there be room for battles, formations, fleeing troops etc?

Also, I'd like to hear other sceners' opinions about the file size condition. While the file size certainly directly translates to the scene's load time, I don't think it's a good criterium to measure the scene's actual performance, because it doesn't take into account the amount of particle effects, lights, other scripted props, collision objects etc, which can be real performance killers, too. The file size itself only reflects the number of props (~draw calls) and the size/complexity of the AI mesh (don't know if this really affects performance).
I don't know how to make it better or more objective though, except doing actual benchmarks, which would prpobably be too much of a hassle and certainly a cause for discontent. I'm just interested in other people's thoughts.

This time around we have decided to go with a theme that allows different mission templates while having a common trait: "Secrecy". Anything from a secret village in the mountains, cave systems, various scenes suitable for quests, indoor scenes, assassin hideouts, etc. goes. Neither size or entry points are specified. Let your imagination run wild and the judges will rate your submissions based on Visuals, Gameplay and Innovativeness. You're also required to set entry points suitable to your mission template (in addition to 0 and 32 for MP testing) - Tutorial.

To sum it up:
- "Secret Places" is the theme of the contest.
- Different mission templates are allowed.
- Entry points must be set in accordance with your mission template.

InVain said:
Also, I'd like to hear other sceners' opinions about the file size condition. While the file size certainly directly translates to the scene's load time, I don't think it's a good criterium to measure the scene's actual performance, because it doesn't take into account the amount of particle effects, lights, other scripted props, collision objects etc, which can be real performance killers, too. The file size itself only reflects the number of props (~draw calls) and the size/complexity of the AI mesh (don't know if this really affects performance).
I don't know how to make it better or more objective though, except doing actual benchmarks, which would prpobably be too much of a hassle and certainly a cause for discontent. I'm just interested in other people's thoughts.

We would also be happy to change this if a similarly simple solution is found. Open for suggestions.

Participants, please go through the original post again as it has been updated with new rules and information. Further feedback is more than welcome.

Quick question here:

If the mission template can be chosen, and I choose to make a map that would not be intended to be played with bots - would the AI mesh still be a necessary addition to the map?

SageMcQuincy said:
Quick question here:

If the mission template can be chosen, and I choose to make a map that would not be intended to be played with bots - would the AI mesh still be a necessary addition to the map?

The AI mesh is required as per contest rules regardless of the mission template. The reason for that is a wider application of your scene and greater OSP value. A modder can then decide to use your scene as what you meant it for or simply change some entry points and use it with bots.

Hello guys!
Some WIP images of my work:

I interpreted the theme "secrecy" as a library. One side is protecting the secrets it holds, while the other side tries to steal them.
The flag (it will be a siege map) will be in the main hall near the book in the cage, also known as "the secret" that is being protected.

It still needs the technicalities like working siege ladders, flag, spawnpoints, etc.
It also still needs some detail and I'm not that happy yet about the siege camp/attacker spawn and the big open space I've got going on on the side.
I wish I chose a bigger map size cause the edges bother me a bit but hey, it's a bit late to change that right now isn't it?
I also wish I could place more books in the shelves but they eat FPS so I think I'll refrain from doing that.

nkhTWL2.jpg

brGixyo.jpg

SAAhRyw.jpg

Fn6MobS.jpg

Very impressive! It's mindblowing to see what people can achieve with native props!

One thing: It seems to me like you're planning an MP scene. Keep in mind that the scenes should also have OSP value for SP modders. So if your planning a siege scene, please make sure that it works with the siege MS.  :smile:

SageMcQuincy said:
Hello guys!

I interpreted the theme "secrecy" as a library. One side is protecting the secrets it holds, while the other side tries to steal them.
The flag (it will be a siege map) will be in the main hall near the book in the cage, also known as "the secret" that is being protected.

It still needs the technicalities like working siege ladders, flag, spawnpoints, etc.
It also still needs some detail and I'm not that happy yet about the siege camp/attacker spawn and the big open space I've got going on on the side.
I wish I chose a bigger map size cause the edges bother me a bit but hey, it's a bit late to change that right now isn't it?
I also wish I could place more books in the shelves but they eat FPS so I think I'll refrain from doing that.

nkhTWL2.jpg

brGixyo.jpg

SAAhRyw.jpg

Fn6MobS.jpg
Nice work!

SageMcQuincy said:
Hello guys!

nkhTWL2.jpg

brGixyo.jpg

SAAhRyw.jpg

Fn6MobS.jpg
Wow this is amazing. I seriously thought you were using a non-native prop for a second! :eek:

I'm not sure if it works or not, but you might be able to use BladeEd: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,378626.0.html to copy your scene objects to a larger scene without breaking it.

SageMcQuincy said:
Hello guys!

nkhTWL2.jpg

brGixyo.jpg

SAAhRyw.jpg

Fn6MobS.jpg

Here comes my winner!
I love your submission, good luck.

Back
Top Bottom