[MBMC] Mount & Blade Modding Contest [February 2019][3D Art]

Users who are viewing this thread

Dejan

Community Manager
The Mount & Blade Modding Contest - February 2019

Untitled2.png

Theme: Siege Equipment

Greetings everyone!

The third 3D art contest is here and this time around we've decided to try and enrichen our OSP community library with some new siege equipment that will be used as scene props! The time period or culture is not set but do stay clear of the modern era/gunpowder siege equipment. New inventions are more than welcome! Have fun creating your masterpiece, we're eager to see what you will come up with!

[size=18pt]Contest Information

Theme: Siege Equipment
Submission Start Date: February 1st 2019 00:00     
Submission End Date: March 15th 2019 23:59
Sponsored By: William

MBMC Rules:
  • You may only submit your work during the submission time period specified above.
  • Submit only your original work, no derivatives of another asset or asset theft is allowed.
  • By submitting your work to the contest, you agree that it will be shared as open source with all the submissions at the end of the contest, according to the open source license provided here.
  • If you've used assets from TaleWorlds games you must make it known so that the submission can be labelled accordingly (LSP).
  • In case there's a monetary reward, it's given out only if there are 3 or more submissions.

3D Contest Rules:
  • You may submit up to three works for the contest, they'll be treated as separate submissions.
  • Required texture maps are not set. Unless you specify otherwise, we'll use shaders that match your submission's native counter-part for in-game implementation.
  • The texture resolutions must be power of 2 - e.g. 256x512, 512x512, 1024x1024.
  • The mesh must be provided in a .obj or .brf format, with the faces triangulated.
  • Your submission must include a collision mesh in a .obj or .brf format, with the faces quadrangulated.
  • You have to post screenshots of your work in progress in at least two different stages of completion, to confirm it is your creation. You are free to post more.

You're also free to upload your work on Sketchfab or similar preview sites if you wish to do so.

Evaluation System

The submissions will be evaluated using a points system, based on their performance in the following three categories: Visuals, Originality and Performance. Once the submission end date is reached and the submissions are closed, the judges and selected testers will review the submissions. The submissions will be reviewed exclusively based on their properties in-game. Read the note in the 'Submitting Your Work' section for more info.

Each of the three judges will submit up to 10 points in the Visuals category and up to 10 points in the Originality category. Performance is a category based on optimisation and performance which can bring you up to 20 points.

Explanation of the categories:

Visuals (30 points)- The visual appeal of a submission, how well the different shapes and features fit into the overall look, and theme of the contest.
Originality (30 points)- The use of new and original concepts while designing your submission. Generic submissions entirely copied from existing references will be given fewer points. Be creative!
Performance (20 points) - An evaluation of the performance and optimization of a submission:
  • 2 points if all of your texture sheets are from native.
  • 4 points if your texture sheets are 1024x1024 or under, 2 points if your texture sheets are 2048x2048 or under.
  • 4 points - Sensible use of multiple texture sheets.
  • 6 points if your submission's triangle count is under 3000, 3 points if your submission's triangle count is under 5000.
  • 4 points - Evaluation of your collision mesh.
  • The current theme of the contest allows for various submission sizes and types which is why the judges will have a heavy influence on the performance rating. If the judges feel you could have been more efficient with your submission, the performance rating will be lowered. The Performance subcategories listed above should be therefore taken with a pinch of salt. Judges may also compare your submission to the nearest native equivalent for performance reference. Multiple texture sheets are to be expected with large complex scene props, the judges will take this into consideration within the performance rating.

Total points: 30 (Visuals) + 30 (Originality) + 20 (Performance) = 80

Judging Committee

The judging committee is comprised of three veteran artists.

Contest Rewards

- Medals to showcase your achievement across the forums (by Efe Karacar)
- Eternal place in the Mount & Blade Modding Contest Hall of Fame
- 60 EUR prize pool sponsored by William

Submitting Your Work

You can use the below form to submit your work. If you make any edits or changes after your first submission, it'll be accepted if it is re-submitted within the submission deadline. Name your submission as you see fit, and please try to use a stable file hosting service(Google Drive, Dropbox etc.). Compress your mesh, and the textures into an archived file and upload.

Note: The submissions will be rated and judged exclusively based on their in-game properties. The organizers will implement the submissions in-game as per the rules specified in the rules section. You are not required to use openBrf to send or configure your files. However, you may want to use OpenBrf and implement your work in-game to see how the final result will look like before you submit your work. If you do not know how to do this, you can follow that or any other tutorial in the tutorial section, if you have any questions you can post them here, on the Modding Discord or PM the organizers.

Code:
[b]Forum username:[/b]
[b]Submission name:[/b]
[b]WIP screenshots:[/b]
[b]Download link:[/b]
[b]Have you used native assets in your submission?:[/b]

By submitting this work I agree to the rules and regulations of this contest.

Forum username: BNS Marko
Submission name: King Richards' Ladder
WIP screenshots:
Submission download link:
Have you used native assets in your submission?:

Join The Modding Discord

Just wondering about the texture sheet point system.. it only says 8 points if your texture sheets are 1024x1024, but it doesnt say anything about how many textures you can use. Will we be punished for using several texture sets? For example if you want to make a siege tower, and want to use seamless textures?

Untitled2.png

Hello!

We've made quite a few changes to the contest based on some feedback and re-evaluation of the contest and would also like to hear some valuable feedback from the community.

Rule changes:
  • Your assets have to be Warband compatible and implementable. The required texture maps are diffuse, specular, and normal. Unless you specify otherwise, we'll use the specular_shader_noskin_bump_high shader for in-game implementation. -> Required texture maps are not set. Unless you specify otherwise, we'll use shaders that match your submission's native counter-part for in-game implementation.
  • The texture resolutions must be square, and a power of 2 - e.g. 512x512, 1024x1024. -> The texture resolutions must be power of 2 - e.g. 256x512, 512x512, 1024x1024.
  • The mesh must be provided in a .obj format, with the faces triangulated. -> The mesh must be provided in a .obj or .brf format, with the faces triangulated.
Rule additions:
  • If you've used assets from TaleWorlds games you must make it known so that the submission can be labelled accordingly (LSP).
  • Your submission must include a collision mesh in a .obj or .brf format, with the faces quadrangulated.

We've redesigned the Performance category:
William The Bear said:
DRAFT said:
Visuals (40 points)- The visual appeal of a submission, how well the different shapes and features fit into the overall look, and theme of the contest.
Originality (40 points)- The use of new and original concepts while designing your submission. Generic submissions entirely copied from existing references will be given fewer points. Be creative!
Performance (26 points) - An evaluation of the performance and optimization of a submission:
  • 6 points if all of your texture sheets are from native, 3 points if half of your texture sheets are from native.
  • 6 points if your texture sheets are 1024x1024 or under, 3 points if your texture sheets are 2048x2048 or under.
  • 8 points if your submission's triangle count is under 3000, 4 points if your submission's triangle count is under 5000.
  • 6 points - Evaluation of your collision mesh.
  • The current theme of the contest allows for various submission sizes and types which is why the judges will have a heavy influence on the performance rating. If the judges feel you could have been more efficient with your submission, the performance rating will be lowered. The Performance subcategories listed above should be therefore taken with a pinch of salt. Judges may also compare your submission to the nearest native equivalent for performance reference. Multiple texture sheets are to be expected with large complex scene props, the judges will take this into consideration within the performance rating.

Total points: 40 (Visuals) + 40 (Originality) + 26 (Performance) = 106

The system written above is a draft upon which we would like to build with the feedback of the community. In essence, we would like to hear what is the priority of mod makers - Creativity or Performance. The draft written above encourages participants to use native textures which in turn means lesser space requirement for a submission to be added to a mod. However, it doesn't offer any real reward for creating your own textures and being original. In fact, it even introduces penalties for not using native textures. What are your thoughts in regards to that? Would you rather like to see the encouragement of custom assets and originality or the encouragement of creating submissions that use native textures? Do you have any suggestions for a mixed system?

The judges will now also have a heavy influence on the performance rating as explained above. The numbers listed above won't directly transform into your performance rating but act more as a guideline for the judges. Comparing your submission with native assets, sensible use of multiple texture sheets, suitable triangle count & texture sheet sizes for the complexity of your submission will all be taken into account for the final Performance rating. What are your thoughts in regards to that? Do you have any suggestions?

We've done some changes and agreed to settle for what we have currently. Any further changes are unlikely so we wish you all happy modelling!

I just found out that 2.8 has improved cloth simulation.
So I pimped my trebuchet.

Forum username: Exima
Submission name: PimpMyTrebuchet
WIP screenshots:
idk what i'm supposed to put in as WIP so
Animation.gif

or if you wanna do the turny thing yourself:
https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/trebuchet-a8ebe96c876643cb91965b26588fe0de
Download link:
LinkMydude

A few words to explain stuff:
So this object has 22.056 Polygons. That is quite alot.
Performance in Warband (and pretty much all game engines) works primarily around collision. Polygons are actually no problem, if they don't collide.

This is why I've made a collision body for this trebuchet. Instead of 22.056 Polygons, the Collision body has 430.
This means, the game actually only has to raycast onto 430 polygons, and the rest are just visual.

Texturewise:
The Trebuchet has only 1 real texture, which is the Diffuse map. I've reduced the Normal & Specular maps to 64x64
This is because I'm using a technique called "Light baking" which allows me to utilize shaders like Ambient Occlusion and Pathtraced Shadows, and insert them directly onto the Diffusemap.
Normally the downside is the 2048x2048 Diffuse texture needed to have high fidelity in the object.

I've found a way around that issue:
Normally, a model relies on 3 Textures: Diffuse for color, Specular for reflection, and Normalmap for depth.
Luckily, my Trebuchet is 99% Wood, which is basically unreflective and allows me to throw the Specular map out the window and put the saved performance into the Diffuse map.
The normalmap i got rid of, by using high fidelity normalmapping while lightbaking, allowing me to fake depth in the diffuse texture. Again, saved performance went into the Diffusemap.

Basically, this is just an explanation for anyone curious why 1 texture is gigantic, while the others are miniscule.
you don't have to actually change anything when implementing the model - the workflow stays the same.

______________________________ edit _____________________
23.02.19 - I neato'ed up my transparency work, so i updated the dl.
looks like this now (the shadow on the ground is from sketchfab):
unknown.png

Very nice submissions, give us a few days as always and we'll return with the results!

And I guess congratulations since all 3 submissions will practically receive a reward. :fruity:

Any feedback about the contest would be appreciated, especially from people that didn't get to participate this time around. Busy times, not interested in the theme, other?

Great looking submission! :grin:

As for feedback: For me it was a combination of being more busy than I thought I would be, and the theme not being too interesting. I struggled to find something I would be motivated to create.

Brego said:
As for feedback: For me it was a combination of being more busy than I thought I would be, and the theme not being too interesting. I struggled to find something I would be motivated to create.

Precisely the same.

Nonetheless, great submissions from those who participated.

Back
Top Bottom