Max Army Size and Morale - Easy to change in scripts.txt

Users who are viewing this thread

Llew2

Cheap ass bum
Count
M&BWB
Very nice. It'll be useful.


Oh, and welcome back MageLord, haven't seen you in a while.  :smile:
 

Red River

Sergeant Knight
actually it's funny how in this game larger party size has a negative impact on your troops' morale. should be the opposite really. larger armies should have way better morale than small ones. comfort in numbers...
 

TheMageLord

The Handyman Can
Knight at Arms
M&BWB
Heh, thanks Llew

I've been lurking, I just haven't posted in a while. I had fun making some mods way back when, then I went on to other games. I still checked this occasionally though, and the .950/.951 releases intrigued me enough to draw me back in. Funnily enough, I was going to go back to modeling for kicks and realised I totally forgot how. Haha, I guess I might play with it till I remember one of these days... I did enjoy making all those swords before.

I've been enjoying .951 way way more with slight modification to these scripts, my char can finally run around with 100+ troops without horrible morale problems. Leadership bonuses really should be scaled up by default, 3 men and 7 morale just isnt worth focusing on leadership.
 

Jericho

Sergeant Knight at Arms
M&BWB
Thanks for posting this tweak! If for no other reason than showing everyone who didn’t know this already of the awesome
customization and flexibility of this game. Truly I appreciate that.
:smile:
 

TheMageLord

The Handyman Can
Knight at Arms
M&BWB
You could edit the script to make renown improve morale, it wouldnt be that hard with the source. You can get .903 source, but im not sure if .903 scripts are 100% compatible with .951 scripts since I haven't tested it. I did notice the .903 morale one is slightly different than the .951 one, but without the .951 source im not sure what the slight difference is. The troop number scripts from .903 and .951 are exactly the same.

I'm happy with having leadership give bigger morale bonuses, though. +30 per point allows plenty big enough armies for me, and makes taking leadership points more meaningful. If renown did everything, why would you even need leadership?
 

Taimat396

Baron
Hmm...Is there any way of simply changing how much morale each soldier takes, instead of having to give a bonus to something else to balance it?
 

RayvenQ

Knight at Arms
WBWF&SNW
Taimat396 said:
Hmm...Is there any way of simply changing how much morale each soldier takes, instead of having to give a bonus to something else to balance it?

If you'd have read the OP, you'd have seen the 3rd red number (25) is how much renown is needed to gain one troop.
 

TJL

Regular
Great topic, this is what I'll need after a while...  :smile:
Btw, what is the default max. party size?
 

Nahkuri

Marquis
I just came in my pants.

You just wrote exactly the kind of instructions I had hoped for. Thank you.

Question: Do I have to start a new game for the effects to kick in?
 

Narduiran

Sergeant at Arms
M&BWBWF&S
It's actually possible to have a huge army without too much morale hit, but it requires a LOT of work. I have 9 heroes, and since some don't like each others, I need to keep morale decked out to 99 at all times so none quits. That requires a fight with poor odds every day or so.

What I find annoying is that in the 150 days I've been playing this character, I only lost one battle, the 9 of us VS 42 Swadian Man at Arms (I got couched by the 3 last ones  :sad: ) and won so many battles with incredibly poor odds and I still have to fight to keep those heroes with me. There should be some kind of modifier that lowers the morale hit if you're on a continuous winning streak. Right now, I cannot idle anywhere for more than one day or else I'll lose 3-4 heroes on 9.

That means I can't be a vassal, because then I have to follow some idiotic lord half the time and idle in the middle of nowhere. And If I don't do it, some heroes will be upset cause we don't finish the quest. Basically, the only way I have to play this party is to be on my own, and to constantly fight poor odds. It's doable, but it's VERY intensive.
 

Llew2

Cheap ass bum
Count
M&BWB
Nahkuri said:
Question: Do I have to start a new game for the effects to kick in?
That's what I'm wondering. I don't think so though, because your party size is changing all the time anyway, so it shouldn't be stored in the save file.

I've been lurking, I just haven't posted in a while. I had fun making some mods way back when, then I went on to other games. I still checked this occasionally though, and the .950/.951 releases intrigued me enough to draw me back in. Funnily enough, I was going to go back to modeling for kicks and realised I totally forgot how. Haha, I guess I might play with it till I remember one of these days... I did enjoy making all those swords before.
I enjoyed the weapons.  :razz:
 

TheMageLord

The Handyman Can
Knight at Arms
M&BWB
As Lyx said, you don't have to start a new game. It takes effect immediately.

Taimat, Modifying morale per troop requires an extra line. I went ahead and added a divide to the equation, so if you want to modify the number of troops per morale lost you will need this script:

get_player_party_morale_values -1
50 1650 2 1224979098644774912 648518346341351424 2133 2 1224979098644774913 0 6 3 1224979098644774914 0 1224979098644774912 1652 3 1224979098644774915 648518346341351424 1224979098644774914 4 0 1507 1 1224979098644774915 2105 2 1224979098644774913 3 5 0 1653 3 1224979098644774916 648518346341351424 1224979098644774914 2108 2 1224979098644774916 1 2105 2 1224979098644774913 1224979098644774916 3 0 3 0 2133 2 144115188075856282 1224979098644774913 2170 3 1224979098644774917 1369094286720630785 360287970189639680 2122 3 144115188075856283 1224979098644774917 7 2133 2 1224979098644774918 144115188075856283 2106 2 1224979098644774918 144115188075856282 2105 2 1224979098644774918 50 2133 2 1224979098644774919 0 2133 2 144115188075856284 0 6 3 1224979098644774920 288230376151711778 288230376151711792 150 1 1224979098644774920 4 0 33 3 1224979098644774920 288230376151711778 288230376151711790 2105 2 1224979098644774919 1 3 0 527 3 1224979098644774921 1224979098644774920 1 2105 2 144115188075856284 1224979098644774921 3 0 2105 2 1224979098644774918 144115188075856284 4 0 31 2 1224979098644774919 0 2133 2 144115188075856285 30 2106 2 1224979098644774918 144115188075856285 5 0 2133 2 144115188075856285 0 3 0 2133 2 144115188075856286 0 4 0 32 2 144115188075856027 0 1 1 936748722493063280 2133 2 1224979098644774922 72057594037927936 2122 3 144115188075856286 144115188075856027 10 2108 2 144115188075856286 1224979098644774922 2112 3 144115188075856286 1 31 2106 2 1224979098644774918 144115188075856286 3 0 2112 3 1224979098644774918 0 100 2133 2 72057594037927936 1224979098644774918
The bits I added are in red. The 50 is just the code telling it how many lines of script it is supposed to be reading, it was changed from 49 to 50 so it will read the extra line correctly. All the other highlighted red parts is the divide coding, with the blue number following it being the number of troops per 1 morale penalty. Keep it at 1 for no change, or whatever number you want to require higher troop numbers per morale penalty. A 5 would mean every 5 troops minuses 1 morale.

I also highlighted the two numbers from the first post (morale penalty per hero, and morale bonus per leadership) in lime green just in case you were having trouble finding them with the extra line of coding.

Enjoy. I didn't really think about it before, but simply cutting the morale per regular troop in half allows for larger armies without the problems that way more morale per leadership can cause. Like the no food penalty of 30 being pointless since leadership was adding so much :smile:

Oh, and TJL: the default max troops is 10 base, 3 per leadership, and 1 more per 25 renown. As shown in the companion limit script in the topic.

-edit - for those of you looking at this for 1.003, the script has changed but this change can still work. The first number has changed to 44, since 5 lines of code were removed in 1.003. So that needs to be 45 if you add in the line. Other than that the code doesn't need to be changed, if you put it in the right spot it still works.
It does have one minor oddity - it only stores whole numbers, so any odd numbered troop stacks will be halved and rounded down - in effect giving a free troop for morale calculations for every odd troop stack.  In one stack of troops it would only amount to .5 morale, but if you had 10 stacks, all odd, it would be 5.
 

Sibilance

Knight at Arms
M&BWB
This is just fan-freaking-tastic. I'm being gentle so as not to take all the challenge out of it, but this gives Native just a little more charm for me. :grin:
 

Taimat396

Baron
TheMageLord said:
As Lyx said, you don't have to start a new game. It takes effect immediately.

Taimat, Modifying morale per troop requires an extra line. I went ahead and added a divide to the equation, so if you want to modify the number of troops per morale lost you will need this script:

get_player_party_morale_values -1
50 1650 2 1224979098644774912 648518346341351424 2133 2 1224979098644774913 0 6 3 1224979098644774914 0 1224979098644774912 1652 3 1224979098644774915 648518346341351424 1224979098644774914 4 0 1507 1 1224979098644774915 2105 2 1224979098644774913 3 5 0 1653 3 1224979098644774916 648518346341351424 1224979098644774914 2108 2 1224979098644774916 1 2105 2 1224979098644774913 1224979098644774916 3 0 3 0 2133 2 144115188075856282 1224979098644774913 2170 3 1224979098644774917 1369094286720630785 360287970189639680 2122 3 144115188075856283 1224979098644774917 7 2133 2 1224979098644774918 144115188075856283 2106 2 1224979098644774918 144115188075856282 2105 2 1224979098644774918 50 2133 2 1224979098644774919 0 2133 2 144115188075856284 0 6 3 1224979098644774920 288230376151711778 288230376151711792 150 1 1224979098644774920 4 0 33 3 1224979098644774920 288230376151711778 288230376151711790 2105 2 1224979098644774919 1 3 0 527 3 1224979098644774921 1224979098644774920 1 2105 2 144115188075856284 1224979098644774921 3 0 2105 2 1224979098644774918 144115188075856284 4 0 31 2 1224979098644774919 0 2133 2 144115188075856285 30 2106 2 1224979098644774918 144115188075856285 5 0 2133 2 144115188075856285 0 3 0 2133 2 144115188075856286 0 4 0 32 2 144115188075856027 0 1 1 936748722493063280 2133 2 1224979098644774922 72057594037927936 2122 3 144115188075856286 144115188075856027 10 2108 2 144115188075856286 1224979098644774922 2112 3 144115188075856286 1 31 2106 2 1224979098644774918 144115188075856286 3 0 2112 3 1224979098644774918 0 100 2133 2 72057594037927936 1224979098644774918
The bits I added are in red. The 50 is just the code telling it how many lines of script it is supposed to be reading, it was changed from 49 to 50 so it will read the extra line correctly. All the other highlighted red parts is the divide coding, with the blue number following it being the number of troops per 1 morale penalty. Keep it at 1 for no change, or whatever number you want to require higher troop numbers per morale penalty. A 5 would mean every 5 troops minuses 1 morale.

I also highlighted the two numbers from the first post (morale penalty per hero, and morale bonus per leadership) in lime green just in case you were having trouble finding them with the extra line of coding.

Enjoy. I didn't really think about it before, but simply cutting the morale per regular troop in half allows for larger armies without the problems that way more morale per leadership can cause. Like the no food penalty of 30 being pointless since leadership was adding so much :smile:

Oh, and TJL: the default max troops is 10 base, 3 per leadership, and 1 more per 25 renown. As shown in the companion limit script in the topic.

Thankie :razz: And yeah, that was my problem with it too :razz:
 

Uzik

Recruit
This is an amazing find.

I used to be unable to siege a lot of larger cities because my 81 vs 300 just didn't work no matter what I tried.

While I think a more reasonable solution would be putting a limit on lord armies, at least now I don't need to maintain 70+ hired blades to be able to take on lord armies!
 

Anunnak

Sergeant
M&BWB
Thank you Themagelord!  lol I can now field 798 Nords!  Which way is England from Calradia?
But with my Castle in the South I can recall some troops now and control about 115 without worrying too much about food supplies... as I think 500+ troops will eat so much you'll be on a campaign of hunger woes.
 

vahtar

Recruit
thanks for the party size increase TheMageLord
but do you know how to increase party size in m&b 808?
 
Top Bottom