Matchmaking balancing question

Users who are viewing this thread

If I'm correct the current native version 1.4.3 includes balancing teams after arranging a match.

But I've noticed it doesn't seem to affect the stacks, since they are kept in the same team regardless. Is that an intended behaviour? If yes, then wouldn't it make sense to separate the stacks or perhaps create separate matchmaking for stacks? Or maybe some other solution since if I'm correct the balancing doesn't really have an effect if you play against a stack.

A separate question: how does balancing work? Can we get some info on the formula used for that?

I don't agree on separating stacks, it doesn't make sense to go in a stack if it's just to separate.
But i agree stacks should ONLY be faced against stacks and NEVER against a team composed of randoms.

I think devs already said that existing groups shall not be split up but the matchfinder is actually trying to balance this now, so 2 3-man groups will probably be not on the same team anymore. However, this can just work if players play the game. If people are not around and there's a group of players and just some randoms lurking, then the matchfinder will probably put them against each other.

If we split up stacks then there would be no point of forming a stack.

Skill based match making is turned off at the moment. We will turn it on once we have more players. There is a team balancing system but it is not very effective when there are big stacks involved.

Its irrelevant to talk about matchmaking system when theres not enough players involved in it. As of now, the best course of action for TW, in my opinion, should be to focus on custom servers like the siege servers they just added, and start working on Matchmaking way later on once theres more players and they release ranked matchmaking.

Its irrelevant to talk about matchmaking system when theres not enough players involved in it. As of now, the best course of action for TW, in my opinion, should be to focus on custom servers like the siege servers they just added, and start working on Matchmaking way later on once theres more players and they release ranked matchmaking.
The system is already working, it is just not being enforced due to player count. Once we have enough players to split into Ranked and Casual we will just flip the switch.

We will keep improving the game and add features while we get there.

Skill based match making is turned off at the moment. We will turn it on once we have more players. There is a team balancing system but it is not very effective when there are big stacks involved.

I think you should bite the bullet and switch it on when the beta patch goes live, there will be more players for sure when this patch goes live with enough advertisement across steam etc.

The biggest thing that people don't queue for is the fact that new players are grouped up against a 6 man stack of veterans. If you(a veteran player) are unlucky enough to be put in the group of new players you just end up fighting 1v6 most of the time and that switches veterans away or to reinforce it by joining stacks.

I mean the queue is long already most days, so a little longer wouldn't be an issue IMO.

The system is already working, it is just not being enforced due to player count.

I think a big part of reason there aren't enough players is because there is no skill based matchmaking, people try out skirmish for the first time, get dropped against 750 win people several times (who might not be wearing badges), lose, don't understand why and just are not happy and don't play skirmish again.

Enabling it together with the combat patch going live and advertising it a little could revitalize the player count. Maybe have it on for a couple weeks just to see how the player count changes, and loosen matching restrictions according to circumstance as a test? I don't know, it just feels like not having it on is more detrimental than having it, but I suppose you can't really tell until it's been tried.

The system is already working, it is just not being enforced due to player count. Once we have enough players to split into Ranked and Casual we will just flip the switch.

We will keep improving the game and add features while we get there.

Interesting to hear and looking forward to it.

I hope you're considering Ranked as solo or duo queue. Even if a group has massively inflated MMR, I don't think that the available top 6 MMR players in queue will be able to overcome the group's coordination (assuming the group is average or slightly above average).

Maybe something like brackets would work too, where low MMR allows full groups while high MMR doesn't.

I think a big part of reason there aren't enough players is because there is no skill based matchmaking, people try out skirmish for the first time, get dropped against 750 win people several times (who might not be wearing badges), lose, don't understand why and just are not happy and don't play skirmish again.

Enabling it together with the combat patch going live and advertising it a little could revitalize the player count. Maybe have it on for a couple weeks just to see how the player count changes, and loosen matching restrictions according to circumstance as a test? I don't know, it just feels like not having it on is more detrimental than having it, but I suppose you can't really tell until it's been tried.

This has always been my opinion. MMR benefits casual and new players more than veterans in my experience.

This is exactly how I feel.
If there were SBMM, I would play so much more than I do now, and I'm sure this holds true for most "casual" players
players -> no SBMM -> less players -> SBMM not doable -> less players -> SBMM not doable (y'all see where this is going)

This is absolutely true. It was a terrible mistake on TW's part to launch Early Access without skill-based matchmaking, primarily because it meant all of the casual/new/SP-only players that went into it had to go up against players much more skilled than them. Unsurprisingly, it isn't going to be a fun experience for those people who try MP for the first time and get their face smacked in by some tryhards with many times their hours. This ruined the potential for a much larger MP playerbase and very few of the many tens of thousands who tried MP stuck around.

Essentially, room for a lower level, more casual community was not made and the exact same mistakes that were made with Warband's MP (creating a small, inaccessible, elite community) were repeated again. Skill-based matchmaking needs to go on ASAP, even if it will not work optimally due to a low number of players at the moment, because casual players cannot get into the multiplayer until they can play in more balanced games where they don't get annihilated.

or take a break from the game and wait for the f* matchmaking to be implemented.

But wait, there is so many games to play, i found Borderlands 3 pretty fun!
Let's wait for everything to be implemented in the game until we play no?

The whole point of him posting this, is to add a sense of urgency to it for the devs. It's like a suggestion

Update: We will be turning on skill based match making today.
It will not be matching too strict for now to avoid long queue times.
It will look for players withing 100 MMR initially, then slowly increase the range by 100 as time passes up to 500 MMR difference.

Let's see how that feels for match quality and wait times.

We will add the UI to view your MMR later on and will probably have a calibration period at some time in the future.

Back
Top Bottom