Massively Negative Income on 1st Castle

Users who are viewing this thread

stevepine

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Anyone else had this....?

" Oh great... I got awarded a castle! "

2 seconds later... " Oh I see my income is now - 4500 per day "

Surely this is not intentional or how it should be?

(This is due to the leaving of high-tier troops and a large garison being immediately given to me - and if I get rid of them, the castle will have no defence and will be immediately retaken)

4.5k sounds like a lot of good troops. I had a modest garrison in my 1st 1.4.2 castle and so did not have this problem. The fief taxes seem pretty high too.
I would ditch any troops you don't intend to use, maybe donate to a allied garrison and go get some money from beating lords.

Seems like the game may have added 5K expense in first day of receiving a fief.
Not sure what that exact conditions would cause that but noticed when taking a fief from enemy or right after defeating someone sieging your castle.

Or you actually have lots of troops in there.

I previously loaded a save and both of my castles has - 5000 wage bill, iv only got 6 troops in 1 of them so its either a bug or its from having a high number of militia

Something must be bugged with you guys having high costs! My castle full of my best troops is only 2400 a day and my second castle with 'whatever' 100 troops they threw in is only 645. I didn't notice a 1st day cost being more on either but if I get a 3rd I'll keep a look out.

Pretty realistic, owning a castle would give some power, but upkeep is high. Warband was the same way. Towns make you money, castles drain it.

No, your first castle should be a step up..... not something utterly and completely crippling. It's ridiculous and takes away from the fun of the game.

Same happened to me, it took me down to 0 gold and I was losing everything.

To get out of it i had to cheat a little (the only cheat I've done on my playthrough) and put my trading skill up so i could trade fiefs.

Sold my castle, earned another and sold that too. I would like to own a castle but if I cant afford the upkeep I'm gunna sell them. At least until I'm in a position where I can afford them, then I will hold onto one. (Seemed like the only way I could get out of the situation without cheating too much like giving myself loads of cash)

What i do in this situation is get rid off most of the garrison so i have almost zero upkeep/only profit and i protect it with my party untill militia builds up,its that easy.

I think it is some bug that happens after you capture a castle and put some garrison to it, but only for a first day.

When I put 1 peasant and skipped a day I had to pay 5001 gold for it, but after reload when I removed entire garrison and skipped a day it didn't charge me for it. Notice Varagos Castle party's wages aren't listed on second part of screenshot:

Btw without garrison there isn't party's wages for that castle listed unless you entered Manage garrison screen in a castle - then it is visible if you hover a mouse over coin icon in right bottom corner of the UI. Even without any soldier it says -5000.

Is this on 1.4.1?I believe there was bug like this which i didnt experience but im playing in 1.4.2 and yesterday i took a fief with no such problem.

Pretty realistic, owning a castle would give some power, but upkeep is high. Warband was the same way. Towns make you money, castles drain it.
What power?

I dont mind paying for power but its just a useless financial millstone that I cant even decline if Im a vassal with no power

What power?

I dont mind paying for power but its just a useless financial millstone that I cant even decline if Im a vassal with no power

I just meant in the real world a castle meant you had some degree of power, whether a lesser or higher noble. I agree with you partially, having castles still means less fiefs to overtake, places to supply/swap troops, safe havens. Game needs a lot of refinement still...

If a castle put a lord in a hole financially then there would be no reason to own one. The idea that the player should lose money because of a garrison is nonsensical.

I'd suggest every castle should come with a free core garrison of around 100 men ( the castle steward can in theory pay their wages).

you only pay for the troops you add to it so if you want a 300 garrison sure pay for the extra 200 or drop off your wounded to heal.

The core garrison can never leave the castle so you can't strip them for your army because you dont pay for them and they should be ai scripted to be better in defence than normal troops eg stay at their post and not run from one point to another, crossbowmen placed on walls that hide betweeen shots,
A front shield line at the gate, archers on towers, men dropping rocks, pushing away ladders and manning seige engines that can actually hit something like that incoming seige tower, they can also be placed in choke points and make castles harder to take.

Ill give +1 on this, 1.4.1 - and although I was doing the cultured start mod, upon trying the castle start I got hit by this huge negative modifier without any troops in castle.

need to make sure the prosperity and other factors of the town are good as well. My first castle a net income of -200 with 100 militia for a few weeks until I fixed starvation, pumped probably 15k gold into the construction boost to get it to a good place where I started to at least break even.

I think the big hit in gold, like -2500, happened on the first day for me as well. I think that part is a bug like others say here.

Back
Top Bottom