Marrying someone feels like a job interview

Users who are viewing this thread

It doesn't even need to have animations, just a fade to black and dialogue option for a morale boost would be enough. Several Warband mods already had it like that.
god no, i didnt assume it'd have animations, all i'm saying is that there's no need to add it because a morale boost is already achievable in a tavern (as far as i know)

The chances being there is alright, but there should be conditions to it. An absolute nobody shouldn't be able to marry an imperial princess the first time he met her. It should need either very high relations or a high enough standing.

Yes, I agree with this.

Or it should be possible if you have a high amount of charm, and she has an appropriate personality.

god no, i didnt assume it'd have animations, all i'm saying is that there's no need to add it because a morale boost is already achievable in a tavern (as far as i know)
I didn't say it should either, was just saying that it was already in several Warband mods (without animations). Also in several other normal games like Fallout NV now that I think about it. So there should be no problems with that in Bannerlord if they were to add it.

Me wanna marry more wamen. Make babies. A lot of babies. Build my harem. Marry princess, marry wamen from the pubs, marry gang leaders (they look the best in some town btw haha). Marry my enemy child and make the papa angry. :mrgreen:

No joke.

I think there should be just more about character interactions, relations (topic about that). That is work in progress, I guess.

It would be cool to be able to dedicate tournament victories and other stuff to do for a lady you admire. And just generally have a good relationship should help.
And it is sad that after failing RNG-check you have no more chances.

I pretty pointless at the minute and to easy . You talk to a character ask to marry .walk out of the room and go back in and ask again then go come back in a week and ask again boom you pay there family and your married. No cut scene like warband just a pop up. The family of you spose act like they don't know you and the relationship with your spose stays at zero. You have children but whats the point aging is that slow you'll not use they because the speed the kingdoms fall snowball into a winner. In my current game my character is 35 in have done the quests and got the dragon banner and i am very rich close to a million now i have land 2 castles and a city as a vassal. I have been told that you die a 65 in the game that means i have 30 years left and in 5 years i have a load of gold 2 castles and a city and my faction is slowly winning i didn't need to marry it was pointless .I hope they fix the family system because i love it and want it to work right down to getting married.

The persuasion system in the current game isn't even the only issue.

1. The options for interacting with NPCs are severely limited. Warband at least had feasts; as annoying as they were to prepare for, they did give your character an opportunity to interact with a bunch of NPCs in one place, rather than having to catch them in a town or search them out in the field. Conversation options in Bannerlord are also severely limited at present, although it seems like the devs intend to implement more, so you can't even chat up an NPC effectively for any reason, diplomatic or romantic.
  2. Your character can only gain relation with a clan leader rather than with individual members. Male characters in Warband could recite poetry or dedicate tournament wins to ladies for individual approval. Female characters could gain approval with lords for breaking them out of jail or saving their butts in the field. Since marriage isn't linked to individual approval in Bannerlord anyway, it isn't game breaking, but it is immersion breaking. (Hence the "let's marry the son/daughter of the king/queen, sight unseen, even though I'm an itinerant wanderer with nothing to my name" issue.)
  3. NPCs don't have much personality. Traits don't seem to influence their behavior much, at least not that I've been able to observe. Makes it hard to imagine a relationship of any sort with them, be it friendship, romantic, rivalry, etc.

Welcome to mi
Are you guys ok with this? Because honestly i can't see how this is in any way better to Warband's system, also not a fan of this persuasion system it feels like a Fallout 3 speech check.
Welcome to medieval nobility. Just be glad youre not trading land for someones qt daughter.

They could have easily overhauled this "proposal system" with a little creativity.

How about you have actual dates -find out what a girl's into, what she likes and then actually take her out. Say she likes moonlit romantic evenings by the high castle walls - well check the weather boy, and lead her about a town scenes that has one of the best views. All along the way maybe she gets to see how well liked and admired you are by the locals "Wattup Lord!!" as you passby if liked in that town. Maybe you need to avoid passing that Tanner whose business you screwed over or he'll get some payback by ruining your date. Maybe she likes Fight so you take her to the Arena and even join in -but getting your arse beat's gonna cost ya! maybe you get accosted on the street and have to fight for her honor against a real Boss. Theres a million ways to make this more interesting (notice i always use the criminally underused Town scenes) rather than the utterly lame 3 Guesses Shell game.

Last edited:
Marriage in the Middle Ages was just pragmatic contract. There was no romance involved at all. Among nobility betrothed often did not even see each other before marriage and could get betrothed while children.

That said in the current state marriage feel unfinished and unrealistic. And by unrealistic I don't mean lack or romance. Marriage, especially in to good clan should be achievement that you need to work hard to reach. It should involve your social standing (vassalage, ownership of fiefs and clan tier) and relation with the clan of the potential spouse. May be even some political intrigue. And it should result in to some sort of political alliance with the clan of the spouse.

Right now it feels too formal, flat, too easy, repetitive and unrewarding. Just series of speech checks to get free companion without any useful skills or consequences.

Back
Top Bottom