SP - General Marry almost anyone, new dialogue interactions and companion recruitment paths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Someone mentioned marrying companions in a Brazilian facebook group of M&B I'm a part of and I said they should make a suggestion here in the forums, but on the risk of them not being able to speak english, I decided I should make a suggestion on top of this and add quite a bit more content to it.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A lot of people I have talked to seem to want to be allowed marrying one of their companions, a tavern maid or even just courting a random citizen when walking around inside a town.

It would be really interesting indeed to be allowed to have certain conversational dialogue options when talking to just about any NPC, be them a guard, a villager, a companion, a maid, a shop worker, a thug or a noble.

It could be anything from small talk about the weather to random quests that could be created on the spot by % chance when talking about a problem in their family, how they like to do certain things on their day off or what is their favorite food.

It could work very well with a "Personal Affinity" relation system and also to recruit spies to provide you with information about the world, like I suggested in other posts.
It would open a whole new level to the gameplay, allow for the player to marry just about anyone they want, create one more way players could roleplay by making friends, lovers, cheating, having quarrels, making friends, allies and so on.

It could even open an alternative way that you could recruit companions to your party besides just listening to people's stories in a tavern and then BUYING them.
Because I kid you not, we are recruiting companions by purchase and not by hire. We only pay them once in one "big" value that is not even enough to buy a good helmet.

It would be interesting to talk, fulfill a quest, raise your friendship with an NPC you found and thought to talk in the middle of a town until they become your friend and decide to become you companion... for a fair price per day.

Other things that would also fit this very well would be to provide names to the non-named NPCs after you talk to them for the first time and make them permanent.
If NPCs were to start walking around, "living lives" and having complex animations, this would become even more interesting.

Whenever you first entered a map, the game would make a short calculation on how many "random" NPCs should be spawned across the map according to the "Prosperity" or "Population" value of that fief. Their behavior and precise position would be decided by which area of the map they would be spawned in, to avoid someone spawning within a barrel or forever walking towards a wall.

After you talked to an NPC for the first time, they would be given a name and registered. The next time you entered that settlement, the game would go through the same process but subtract from the number of random NPCs that should be spawned the number of already named NPCs, it would spawn new people and those previous NPCs as well doing something related to where you met them or their background(personality, job, etc) generated previously.
This way, you'd be able to meet a tavern maid you talked walking in the street or buying something on the market.

Their name would replace the type of NPC they are after you talk to them for the first time.
So before you talked, you'd read "Tavern Maid" but after you talk to her and ask her name, it would only show her name.

The more you talked, the more information would be generated and recorded about that NPC and the more complex their behavior would be, sort of like they were evolving and becoming a more important part of your world the more they interacted with you.

This would provide thousands upon thousands of procedurally generated content while also providing more life and immersiveness to the world, all while also creating a great new path to introduce future new quests to the game in a stealthier way by just adding them to the list of possible quests that can be given to the player by NPCs during dialogue.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

deGoucan Scrolls Index

Last edited:
- Clan's within faction's doesn't marry enough. When checking out clans, you see many single characters. Lack of babies made, means the clan will die out... (at same time, if you go to haywire on this, you might reduce the picks of the player).

- Clan's with single survivor female lords never seem to marry or get any chance to expand at all.

- Mercenary clans/companies doesn't marry at all, nor have any family. You can wipe them out of existence quite easy.

- Companions should been given (although limited), the option to be adopted into the clan. Thus make them available to marry. Although imho all companions should been given such an ability. In CK3 you can get your champions married and have their offspring continue serve your house.

There is also very limited options to increase relations with companions. You can't trade with them etc. But you can lose standing quite easy. Like if you siege a place and take it. Companion got a cruel trait, and you show mercy and then you lose 10pt standing with that companion. Do that a few times, and checking your relations screen they will show as your enemy.

The OP underestimates the amount of work needed for "I just want to talk to everyone and they would tell me something interesting and maybe give me a quest". How many new dialogs is that? 100? 1000? How many new quests is that? 10? 30? And add complex animations, please. And make all random NPCs remember me (1000 additional dialogs with code?).
It reads more as a letter to Santa than a serious suggestion - guess what TW thinks of this.

Last edited:
It reads more as a letter to Santa than a serious suggestion - guess what TW thinks of this.

Santa originates from today Turkey, you know :wink:

They could start with 1 general dialogue, make them live a bit more with each iteration. It´s time for content now.

I support this thread. Tumbs up!

They could start with 1 general dialogue, make them live a bit more with each iteration. It´s time for content now.
It's against the sandbox principle - the player is supposed to be imagining things, not experience them, besides the console users would bleed through their eyes if they read more than three words. :smile:
Let me rephrase the objections so I would be more constructive: there is a bigger chance your suggestion would be read if it's written well - start with the problem, describe how your suggestion solves it and provide details of how is this going to be accomplished. Starting a thread "I want more dialogs" does very little.

Let me rephrase the objections so I would be more constructive: there is a bigger chance your suggestion would be read if it's written well - start with the problem, describe how your suggestion solves it and provide details of how is this going to be accomplished. Starting a thread "I want more dialogs" does very little.
Yes, precise minimistic suggestions is the best. Breaking it down in "Required" and "Optional" features is great. Asking for somthing that requires the game to be rewitten is a waste of time - for any game!

"To solve <issue> I propose this <feature/solution breakdown>, that has no prerequirement and has huge impact" is probably the ultimate suggestion. Not all suggestions is based on a issue though(Considering EA, most are though!).

It's against the sandbox principle - the player is supposed to be imagining things, not experience them, besides the console users would bleed through their eyes if they read more than three words. :smile:

Some want more experiencedriven gameplay and others want a more imaginationdriven gameplay. I lean towards experiencedriven where it is applicable. Battles currently are the only fully experiencedriven feature in the game, all other areas has alot of imaginationdriven elements.

Back
Top Bottom