SP - General Marriageable Freedom, Romancing, Courtship, and Family: a complete love-life and progeny overhaul suggestion

Users who are viewing this thread

Assuming you are referring to the statement, "I am aware assassination is in the gang leader class, but just something to think about," I believe @GeneralMayonaise was referring to assassination ability that comes as a marriage benefit in my main post of this thread under marrying into the gang social class.

That would be correct. I was not referring to a current in-game mechanic. I will do my best to be clearer in future posts.

I kind of like the idea of keeping specific benefits for different classes, but that doesn't mean we can't do as you are suggesting! Let's take your idea and tweak it a little.

What if you have mostly nobility in your family because you do want to conquer the world through politics, BUT you also have a single gang relation in your family that you use for the nefarious work, such as assassinating someone vehemently opposed to a policy or law or a warmonger in your faction etc.. Enough noble marriages could easily counterbalance the negative opinion caused by marrying a single gang family into yours. This adds power to the combination of class marriages to reap some of the benefits from each. Of course, once the assassination plan is on the table, like any task/quest in Bannerlord, you should have the option of sending a companion to complete it "with a %chance success rate depending on a specified skill of the assassin, and either level or specified skill of the mark(s)."

It's your thread and original idea, so I will defer to you. Besides, your system is better than what I could have thought up. I keep forgetting about mixing family lines through the generations could be a factor. +1 on your reply!

I see, I must have missed that part. There may add something I'm sure but assassination being in the base might be a while away.

I certainly hope they either have it planned or implement it in a future update down the line.

Also, it does feel like marriage is pretty shallow at the moment. Hopefully that add more detail. It doesn't need to be as in depth as CK2 but more in depth than Medieval 2 Total War. I really liked having a wide family tree with lots of children in my kingdom back in M2 TW.

Marriage is extremely shallow atm. Two of my characters are married and the % minigame they have takes a lot away from immersion. From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong), marriages during the period were mainly to benefit the families and the kingdom as more of a business transaction than what most consider marriage today. I'm not looking for a dating quest where the player takes the prospective spouse for long walks on the beach or the like. Just a little more feeling than the dry "If your castle was under attack..."

I really enjoyed the family system in M2TW, but I've never played CK2 so I can't speak to that, and I like having a large family tree as well.

It is a fantasy game. Fantasy does not just mean magic and dragons and Elves. This game falls under the genres of "light fantasy" or "historical fantasy" where everything is still made up, but it keeps with a real-world feel with the addition of historical inspirations.
No, it means exactly that: magic, dragons, etc. M&B is a realistic game with a "fantasy story". It's very different. With your argumentation also Rome Total War could be a fantasy game, but it's absolutely not that.

I think marriage should always have a significant political aspect in this game unless you're literally a street urchin. But I desperately want a romantic aspect to the game and for me I'm just going to want it to be gay.

Long term romantic relationships are just one of those facts of the matter that we expect in our own lives. Playing a a nearly completely customizable character that is essentially an avatar of myself in this fun setting that can't form a romantic relationship with what I imagine to be my partner (gay) while everyone else gets to just feels lame. I already have a mod for it but obviously with a game going through so many updates it's only a half step at best. There is no fixed level historical basis for this game. It already throws that out the window somewhat by even letting you play a woman. But like the question of gay relationships in the game a minor inoffensive gameplay option that lets more people get the full level of roleplay out of this game that most players do is a pretty decent trade off for there being something unhistorical in the game that any player could choose to ignore.

I don't think anyone notices you can be gay married in games like fable or skyrim when you don't generally see it unless you choose to do it yourself.

No, it means exactly that: magic, dragons, etc. M&B is a realistic game with a "fantasy story". It's very different. With your argumentation also Rome Total War could be a fantasy game, but it's absolutely not that.
One could argue that Rome Total War is a historic fantasy because many of the roman houses and other factions you can play as never existed together at the same time in reality, so the fantasy is being able to pit these historic groups against each other. Fantasy is imagination and the involvement of things that are either not possible or improbable, magic and dragons and other "mystical" elements being only examples but certainly not the requirement. The fantasy genre is not so rigorously defined as you may think it is.

With that in mind, lets draw back to the topics of this thread. The point I am trying to make here is that Bannerlord is a fantasy because it involves an imagined world with imagined nations that only take inspiration from real-world cultures and politics from around 100BC to 1400AD. This means that there can be things that never actually happened in real life during the medieval times while at the same time keeping to the realism of the types of things that could be possible during those times. Playing with those possibilites is what makes the Mount&Blade series fun. That is the fantasy.

None of my suggestions in this thread are outside of what can be possible in this world. You might disagree with some of them, and that's perfectly okay. If the devs decide not to put them into the game, not a problem. If they decide to add them, also not a problem, because they still fit the setting of the game no more or less than playing as a commoner woman who faked her nobility and conquered the world would (which never would have been a possibility in medieval society, if you truly wanted your realism).

Last edited:
???????????? What the hell has to do with it?
You stated that fantasy had to include magic and dragons and the like, so Bannerlord is not a fantasy, and I was giving a sarcastic example of where fantasy is very commonly used (at least in the US) that does not include such mystical things, thus showing that Bannerlord can be called a fantasy even though dragons, magic, etc. are not in it. I realize now that a lot of people might not know what Fantasy Football is, so it was probably more confusing or harder to understand than I intended. I removed it from my reply. The rest of that post is still sound, so feel free to ignore that sarcastic comment and read the rest. No need to get held up on it.

Last edited:
Warband's courtship was simple, but gave me a feeling of romance. And I liked it a lot.
It also let you think about how to approach a certain spouse, for example a woman that loves to ride and hunt liked the poems about strong females and disliked those about women that live to serve her husbands. That way the spouses had a personality and you had to consider it in your decisions. Also having to wait for a letter from her to make another attempt to win her heart was way better than what Bannerlord offers right now.
I remember a courtship with a wealth and power greedy woman who refused to elope with my character because she expected to live in a castle, and I realized she's obviously not the right one and cancelled the relationship. That was a very simple but immersive concept, letting you make choices based on the spouses personality.

I don't think anyone notices you can be gay married in games like fable or skyrim when you don't generally see it unless you choose to do it yourself.
I didn't know that. That means there have never been big discussions or outrages about this topic, and that's a good thing. TaleWorlds should consider it, just implement it at some point with no big announcement and everything is fine.

Bannerlord isn't even alternate history, it's too far away from real history to be considered that. It is clearly fictional, and therefore not bound to historical restrictions. The question if it is really fantasy or not is a way more difficult definition than you try to put it. To communicate we need common definitions, otherwise a discussion is pointless. One common definition of fantasy could be this wiki article, for example. But no matter what source you check for a definition for the fantasy genre, none will give you the simple answer "magic, dragons, etc.".

Warband's courtship was simple, but gave me a feeling of romance. And I liked it a lot.
It also let you think about how to approach a certain spouse, for example a woman that loves to ride and hunt liked the poems about strong females and disliked those about women that live to serve her husbands. That way the spouses had a personality and you had to consider it in your decisions. Also having to wait for a letter from her to make another attempt to win her heart was way better than what Bannerlord offers right now.
I remember a courtship with a wealth and power greedy woman who refused to elope with my character because she expected to live in a castle, and I realized she's obviously not the right one and cancelled the relationship. That was a very simple but immersive concept, letting you make choices based on the spouses personality.

Completely agree, although (I believe I've stated it before) the spouse should have a bigger role especially when it comes to kingdoms and factions. Other than being a governor or the like, even in Warband they felt more like a placeholder or a figure head. Personality is paramount. I'm not saying they should have a super complicated AI system, just something...more.

TaleWorlds should consider it, just implement it at some point with no big announcement and everything is fine.

In agreement again. It doesn't need to be hyped up in the way that it is in rl. Just smoothly adding it in, and if you choose that route, more power to you. It's only a game, so I'm pretty sure we don't need fireworks and parades as an announcement.

Bannerlord isn't even alternate history, it's too far away from real history to be considered that. It is clearly fictional, and therefore not bound to historical restrictions. The question if it is really fantasy or not is a way more difficult definition than you try to put it. To communicate we need common definitions, otherwise a discussion is pointless.

+1

I'm not sure why the semantics of this are being argued, but Bannerlord is fantasy.
To justify the inclusion of suggestions that do not fit into real-world medeival politics and society, as 90% of the complaints in this thread are because a single suggestion I made does not fully match real-world "historically accuracy". It really is a pointless argument, but for those people who hate the homosexual romance idea, it's the only argument they have, willfully ignoring the thousands of other aspects of every Mount&Blade game that are not historically accurate because it does take place is a fictional world. They seem generally fine with every other idea in the post.

I think @Sepone and @Klopkr have the right idea:
TaleWorlds should consider it, just implement it at some point with no big announcement and everything is fine.
Just add in the option, and those who are homophobic won't even know because in their games they would never even try to initiate such conversations in-game. It would never affect them. At least in my suggestion I give the option for a setting that is deactivated by default, so they would never even have the chance for it to happen in their games.

Last edited:
In a perfect world the complaining would stop. But seen as some seem to think that others ideas should cater to what does or doesn't offend them, I don't think its going to.

I'm all for putting new options into the game, regardless of whether or not I will personally use them because I'm not the only one who plays the game.

It would be nice to see some changes in the existing marriage system (since it's very plain and repetitive) and also would be great to have more options on how you interact with your spouse (no, not R34, just some dialogues or short scenes, for example).

Adoption might be a good idea, it works in Total War series quite good. Would be a cool feature, If player could also be adopted (for political reasons, for example, if player has many influence points, thus raising the adopting side's influence, but losing some relation with other clans in Kingdom).

Same sex relationship? M&B is not that kind of the game, where this one would be suitable. Even if we move aside the traditions and rules of the presented epoch, it would be plain boring, since M&B is not a date simulator. And sure as hell, it's not some fantasy game, where your strong, but beatiful warmaiden returns after battle with a dragon to make love with her beloved elf girlfriend :grin:

Bonuses depending on who you marry would also be nice. Mary a daughter of some low-tier clan nobleman shouldn't be equal to marrying a ruler's daughter.

I don't really know what could be the point of marrying companions or any other peasant girl, but if people ask for it - I see few reasons for why it shouldn't be in the game. The main confusing point for me is that the player starts the game already having a banner of his clan. Having a banner means that the player's family is more or less a noble family (how many thieves and farmers had their own banner? :grin:). But then again, the player can be a son of a thieves and farmers, having his own banner nevertheless. And so, the main point is that if a player is a member of a noble family - how many nobles married peasant girls or some Boudicca the Lioness who is a former thug leader looking for some money in real life?

And control over pregnancy is a good idea. Implementing some dialogue option that will activate the trigger, so the player and his spouse would make an attempt to have a child. It may fail eventually and have a cooldown, so the player could give his wife /husband a little break :grin:

Back
Top Bottom