SP - General Marriageable Freedom, Romancing, Courtship, and Family: a complete love-life and progeny overhaul suggestion

Users who are viewing this thread

Very cheap of you to assign a very natural human response to a societally dangerous notion to the senseless dogmas of religion.
As for it's inclusion in the game, by your argument of free will and historicity the devs would also have to concern themselves with every scandalous courtly matter, because it did exist and because it might contribute the tiniest bit to 'characterization'. Oh nooo we already have advanced diplomacy and a belivable relation system but no homosexuality? Oh goodness my immersion! Greeks did it!
Besides, even without steam workshop you can include this feature in your game through nexus with max 30 seconds of effort. To add a whole line of additional dynamic systems BEFORE we have custom troop trees, camps, in depth diplomacy - and need I go on? - is misguided time and effort and misguidance TW cannot afford at this time.

I support a number of other suggestions though as they are very basic and effortless additions.

So if I am understanding you post correctly, your main issue is with homosexuality and not the entire post as a whole? And I do include some of those "scandalous" things, if you read my post. It's even an option to vote on in the poll. Much of my post is because diplomacy and relationships are very lacking right now, and I feel many of these ideas can help. I fail to see how this is less important than custom troop trees, but I do agree that there are more pressing matters that should be addressed first (again if you read my post you might see how diplomacy might be improved with some of these ideas). It does not hurt to make suggestions, as that is what this sub-forum is for.

Edit: And also if you're advocating for same-sex marriages actually having an impact on how you are perceived, then the suggestion should not be named "Gender doesn't matter", as it clearly does by your own statement, and if you want to make it somewhat believable given the time period, you shouldn't use rainbow letters, I'm pretty sure the elite American SJW unit didn't exist back then.
By that same logic, my title for the class differences is also in error because people will think and treat you differently depending on what class you marry. Nobility will absolutely despise you if you marry a gang member, and gangs will hate you if you marry a merchant, for example. My choice of wording there was because in the game currently you are forced to choose a noble of the opposite sex when instead such restrictions should not matter.

The coloration of the homosexual marriage title was solely meant to attract forum-goers who might be interested in that idea, as it is a modern symbol, not for any historical accuracy or to imply modern SJWs existed in ancient history. That should have been obvious.

Last edited:
Well this thread just took a turn for the worst....

I'm pretty sure that politics and religion (in the way they are currently being used) aren't a very strong point in this argument seen as it has nothing to do with the game itself. @MightyMidgit has some pretty awesome suggestions that the game would greatly benefit from. And as you can see above, at the very top of the page, there is a poll. If you didn't like something (hopefully after reading the items in the op) then don't vote for it. But there's no reason to be getting all uppity and insulting over real world political beliefs.

MightyMidgit said:

For the record, I have never watch Game of Thrones nor have I read anything from the series. I am also conservative, a registered Republican in the USA, Christian, and straight, if you wanted to know.

Capillati

I absolutely didn`t. Pretty sure no one cared before, pretty sure no one cares now.

If you don't care about his personal beliefs, then why are you so quick to smash on them?

There's a reason there is a saying about keeping religion and politics out of conversation because it tends to turn what was a pleasant debate into the ****show this has now turned into. I mean I could tell you what political party I'm aligned to, what I believe, or my sexual preference. Would it matter in terms of the op? A resounding no.

Maybe take a break, back away from the keyboard, and go get some water or a bite to eat instead of biting chunks out of others.

If you don't care about his personal beliefs, then why are you so quick to smash on them?

There's a reason there is a saying about keeping religion and politics out of conversation because it tends to turn what was a pleasant debate into the ****show this has now turned into. I mean I could tell you what political party I'm aligned to, what I believe, or my sexual preference. Would it matter in terms of the op? A resounding no.

Maybe take a break, back away from the keyboard, and go get some water or a bite to eat instead of biting chunks out of others.
Can`t tell if you`re talking to me or to someone else, but in case you are talking to me, I`m not smashing anyone`s beliefs, I`m showing the error of some of the information told as true facts even though at even the slightest research it falls apart. And I`m pretty sure I didn`t ask in the first place, actually no one asked, as far as I`m aware. This is just an opinion, I didn`t spray painted it on your body, you can definitely ignore it and move on. It`s not scientific, I`m not quoting evidence, I`m not conducting studies. It`s just what I feel I command very well in terms of information and observation of the world in general and history in particular. Simple as.

So if you want to believe wrong things, go right ahead. If you wanna turn this game in that SJW craziness, well, Disney did that, didn`t work out too well for them, some other games did that, didn`t work out at all for them either. So feel free to do as you please :smile:

And before you say it. Please! Do not tell me about your sexual orientation. I do not care :smile:

Last edited:
And I`m pretty sure I didn`t ask in the first place, actually no one asked, as far as I`m aware.

On what planet? They had no such option. Game of thrones isn`t real history... Why mess up a game with stupid far left ideas?

You brought up Game of Thrones and far left ideas. I was simply stating that those did not in a way inform my reasons for my suggestions (but I did say more than what was needed). As it does not add anything to the discussion, I have removed it from my post. I apologize for spurring on this pointless argument. Let us put it to rest and return this thread back constructive discussion as @GeneralMayonaise mentioned.

Last edited:
You brought up Game of Thrones and far left ideas. I was simply stating that those did not in a way inform my reasons for my suggestions. As it does not add anything to the discussion, I have removed it from my post. I apologize for spurring on this pointless argument. Let us put it to rest and return this thread back constructive discussion as @GeneralMayonaise mentioned.
I didn`t ask for your political and social CV, that`s all I`m saying. But yeah, contrary to what you may have thought, I do actually approve of some of your ideas.
Like these:
  • The ability to marry Nobles, Merchants, Mercenaries, Gang Leaders, and Companions
  • Bonuses for you depending on who you marry
  • Accumulating bonuses for your posterity depending on who you marry
And penalties, why not? Marry a commoner, condemn your clan to never have fiefs with the current kingdoms and oblige it to start its own kingdom (or maybe not have fiefs just within empire factions).

and these:
  • The shadier side of marriage (eloping, homewrecking, polygamy)
  • More control over pregnancy
  • The ability to take control of your posterity and start a new clan, beginning a new campaign
  • Dynamic courtship that actually feels like your are building a relationship
Definitely on polygamy`s side here :grin:

So many great ideas from the community. Unfortunately i got the feeling the devolpers just want bannerlord to be a casual fighting simulator. Otherwise I can't explain how much the game lacks of content that is not fighting related.

So many great ideas from the community. Unfortunately i got the feeling the devolpers just want bannerlord to be a casual fighting simulator. Otherwise I can't explain how much the game lacks of content that is not fighting related.
Don't worry, it's early access. And many players stated in so many threads that they want more than just fighting, I am sure the devs will give us way more non-combat content.

Same! Although I can imagine it would be hard to keep all of them happy with you simultaneously and prevent "homewrecking" from happening to you. :ROFLMAO:

And thanks for expressing your support for some of the other ideas!
For some? That`s pretty much all of them, aren`t they? Oh, there`s the age gap thingie, I don`t really know what you mean by that one to be honest... The arranged marriages, well you kinda pay for the wifey, so that`s pretty much an arranged marriage right there...

Because combat is the core of the game, I feel that the devs thought that once they had that running, it would be fine to start EA, which is why everything else is bare bones and less than what we have in Warband in some cases, as I mentioned at the beginning of my post. We can expect more content outside combat to be in development right now, which is why I feel suggestions like this and others are important to show the developers what some of the players want.

Oh, there`s the age gap thingie, I don`t really know what you mean by that one to be honest...
If you are talking about what I wrote in removing upper age limits, my thinking was that the larger the age gap between you and your partner, the potentially harder it might be for either that partner to accept your proposal or for the powers at be to accept that marriage. Imaging you being 80 years old and you want to marry an 18 year old. If my wording is not clear in that section, I should probably elaborate more on it.

The arranged marriages, well you kinda pay for the wifey, so that`s pretty much an arranged marriage right there...
It was placed in the age section because it enables the reservation of children for marriage when they come of age so that they don't get married off to someone else after they come of age. Once getting married, it's no different than any other marriage process, as you allude to.

Last edited:
If you are talking about what I wrote in removing upper age limits, my thinking was that the larger the age gap between you and your partner, the potentially harder it might be for either that partner to accept your proposal or for the powers at be to accept that marriage. Imaging you being 80 years old and you want to marry an 18 year old. If my wording is not clear, I should probably elaborate more on it.
Well historically age gap was never a problem in nobility marriages as far as I`m aware... But what I meant was, is it a problem in game ? Does the game not allow you to marry much younger women? Cause I could pretty much marry any marriageble partners and they`re pretty much all younger than my character... I`d like to steal some dude`s wifey, that`d be nice... maybe a king`s wife, provoke him into a war like that...

On your homosexuality in medieval times point @Capillati, I do completely agree with you. I was not intending to be offensive in any way, I merely wanted there to be no confusion about what I meant by my previous post. I have no problem with you as a person (as I don't know you from Adam), I simply don't see how commentary outside of the scope of the intended purpose of the op is necessary.

I do think if any sort of controversial content were to be implemented by TW or modder, without the option to enable/disable, would be unfair and biased against members of the player base unless pre-advertised as such.

So, if you want your character to be gay/lesbian, have a 100-wife harem, or cheat on your spouse, more power to you. If you want to be straight, monogamous, and faithful, same there. Play how you want.

Capillati

Well historically age gap was never a problem in nobility marriages as far as I`m aware... But what I meant was, is it a problem in game ? Does the game not allow you to marry much younger women? Cause I could pretty much marry any marriageble partners and they`re pretty much all younger than my character... I`d like to steal some dude`s wifey, that`d be nice... maybe a king`s wife, provoke him into a war like that...

Afaik, you can marry whatever age you want as long as you have the charm skills and cash to back it up. You just can't have children after a certain age unless you mod.

Afaik, you can marry whatever age you want as long as you have the charm skills and cash to back it up. You just can't have children after a certain age unless you mod.
Although I have not experienced it personally because I always marry early in my games, I have seen many posts here on the forums where people discover that they cannot marry if their character is over 40, unless they changed that recently or I am misinformed.

Oh don`t worry about it mate, I didn`t take it to heart. It`s just a joke to me :smile: And yeah, the conversation should continue about the OP`s suggestions and ideas.

Oh don`t worry about it mate, I didn`t take it to heart. It`s just a joke to me :smile: And yeah, the conversation should continue about the OP`s suggestions and ideas.

I saw you weren't upset about it, but what would that make me if I brought something up with you and not someone else who's being a prick? I'm not trying to defend you or anything, just making an attempt at being fair. It was pretty offensive though, but yes, we should continue with the op. Probably just ignore those who aren't able to.

Back
Top Bottom