Marriage

Users who are viewing this thread

If I could have imagined a more dull and lack luster marriage proposal option I don't think I could have come up with it. Seriously, this is just terrible, I hope it gets changed.

Have you got the dialouge where they something like "....to tell the truth I'm just not attracted to you." and then you can choose "..it's just for political allegiances anyways" and get them to marry you anyways......
And then we pop'd out 9 kids. That was earlier version before they changed the preggo rate from ALWAYS to you get 2. That's a lot of political gain right there, and after I executed their entire family too!

Have you got the dialouge where they something like "....to tell the truth I'm just not attracted to you." and then you can choose "..it's just for political allegiances anyways" and get them to marry you anyways......
And then we pop'd out 9 kids. That was earlier version before they changed the preggo rate from ALWAYS to you get 2. That's a lot of political gain right there, and after I executed their entire family too!

I like how you can be a peasant and approach a noble for marriage with no army and a sack for clothing. Also, if they are going to make us don specific clothing in court, they need to give us options for better looking clothing. This sword you crafted is illegal in towns, but this crappy one is okay lol.

The funniest bit is not just the "I am not attracted to you" "It's just for political gain anyways", it's when after succeeding in the persuasion check, she replies with "I am happy to hear that", made me laugh for quite a while the first time.

Once again it's kind of embarassing that Warband had a far better system for it... if you had somehow pissed of her family members before, for example by seeing her without their permission, forget about getting their blessing. You had to court her, it took time and effort, but you could still woo her, dedicate tournaments.

What we've got now is a transaction like if we were buying a horse. And no, it's not the missing cutscene for the marriage that is going to make it any better. It's how meaningless and empty it feels. It's like recruiting a companion in a tavern pretty much.

And that's when I have loads of points in charm and all the positive traits... It's like... I'm mother Teresa, who can also fight and who's also beautiful... And this smelly Battanian Fenagan, who never ever even grooms his beard and hair tells me "he's not attracted to me?" wtf?

Again, this game cares nothing about your traits, skillpoints etc... everything is same and random for everyone :grin:

If I could have imagined a more dull and lack luster marriage proposal option I don't think I could have come up with it. Seriously, this is just terrible, I hope it gets changed.

Totally agree... it breaks a lot the game immersion, also being informed than you are going to be parents by a side banner or having a 0 relationships with your wife, etc. This kind of details is what makes you feel this world really artificial right now.

But I hope they will improve it by time, it is not a top priority by now but it is a must for the final release in my opinion.

And that's when I have loads of points in charm and all the positive traits... It's like... I'm mother Teresa, who can also fight and who's also beautiful... And this smelly Battanian Fenagan, who never ever even grooms his beard and hair tells me "he's not attracted to me?" wtf?

Again, this game cares nothing about your traits, skillpoints etc... everything is same and random for everyone :grin:

And this is a regression from M&B. It's the most non immersive marriage option I have seen in any title for PC or Xbox since I was in grade school. 8 years for that? Come on TW. There's no difference between this and talking with a villager about grain shortages.

Last edited:

Actually it do seem to be more complex than you think..

I made a character to test out Charisma was 101+
Social was 10.
So I tested vs the females in Sturgia(yes I'm Sturgia fanboi).
All of them said the "not attracted line".
That I tested vs (Valla, Svana, Idrun, Apollonia)
None was attracted.
Generally speaking the Charisma 101 is counted for the policy +1 influence that I have high charisma.
Social skill at max, aka I should be prince charming.

So I thougth to myself hm.. maybe there is another layer here?

Next round I had 4 Social and 101 charisma, I tested vs the females and yes the same conclusion.
Then I had to test out my theory, could this layer be the difference in my clan rank being 3, where those where in 4 and above?

So I found Zlatka, she is a member of a clan that at the time had rank 2, resides in Sibir.
She on the other hand didnt have this line at all.

So I'm of course not certain, but I would think that the difference in social status also plays a bit of a part in wheter or not a female is attracted to you or not.(again this is just my observations)

As for the statement about traits etc, from my experience they do impact it some.
I see that the choices if I have high in a choice its green and very high % chance to suceed.

I do agree that it could be fleshed out more(and I think it will be over time)
But in the end though, its not directly a dateingsim so who knows :razz:

I still think the "courtship" was better in Warband, but the time-factor probably is messing it up abit.

Funniest bit for me is, that the easiest person to get married to among the Vlandians is Elys, the daughter of Dethert. I cannot imagine a King being willing to marry his daughter off to a nobody, but he does it happily!

Social was 10.
None was attracted.
Generally speaking the Charisma 101 is counted for the policy +1 influence that I have high charisma.

Next round I had 4 Social and 101 charisma, I tested vs the females and yes the same conclusion.
Then I had to test out my theory, could this layer be the difference in my clan rank being 3, where those where in 4 and above?

So I found Zlatka, she is a member of a clan that at the time had rank 2, resides in Sibir.

So I'm of course not certain, but I would think that the difference in social status also plays a bit of a part in wheter or not a female is attracted to you or not.(again this is just my observations)

As for the statement about traits etc, from my experience they do impact it some.
I see that the choices if I have high in a choice its green and very high % chance to suceed.

I still think the "courtship" was better in Warband, but the time-factor probably is messing it up abit.

I got some noble to marry me in the first 5 minutes of the game.

Social was 10.
None was attracted.

I had more than 100 charisma myself (somewhere in 120 or 130), very high in social as I planned to roleplay as charming and noble character.
+ most positive traits (3 at the beginning, but then lost one, don't remember which) and I was lady myself. Clan tier was already 4 or maybe even 5. And I approached Fenagan, also very positive guy according to traits, yet he said he's not attracted.

Of course I still forced him into marriage :grin: But took a hit to self-esteem.

I got some noble to marry me in the first 5 minutes of the game.
Yeah I married Caladogs daughter pretty much straight up in my current playthrough and all Caladog wanted was 6000 denars. Her combat stats are above 200, she carries a noble long bow plus other high tier armor and was running around with a 100 man party at the time.

Bargain!

In Warband you could chat them up, then recite some poems you learned in the tavern (don't try that IRL), plus win some tournaments in their name to build up a relationship. It was a bit more trouble, but at least you had an idea of where it was going before you committed. Now it's like you are in an all or nothing job interview.

TL;DR I wish the Devs of BannerLord would talk to the devs of Warband. Warband had it all, and what it didn't, mods had it. They should have just copied the best of the best instead of trying to be smart and making something new.

In Warband you could chat them up, then recite some poems you learned in the tavern (don't try that IRL), plus win some tournaments in their name to build up a relationship. It was a bit more trouble, but at least you had an idea of where it was going before you committed. Now it's like you are in an all or nothing job interview.

TL;DR I wish the Devs of BannerLord would talk to the devs of Warband. Warband had it all, and what it didn't, mods had it. They should have just copied the best of the best instead of trying to be smart and making something new.

The tournament winning and dedications was a much better feature than this % box stuff. It's so bland.

What we've got now is a transaction like if we were buying a horse.

The bribery slider is so sensitive, that I couldn't give my father-in-law the exact 10k he wanted. The closest I could get was 13k. So I made him throw in a couple horses and a cow to sweeten the deal. So your comment is fairly close to the mark there.

It's pretty boring at the moment but also it's not exactly vital to the proper gameplay; it's functional for now - other things are a much bigger priority.

The funniest bit is not just the "I am not attracted to you" "It's just for political gain anyways", it's when after succeeding in the persuasion check, she replies with "I am happy to hear that", made me laugh for quite a while the first time.

Once again it's kind of embarassing that Warband had a far better system for it... if you had somehow pissed of her family members before, for example by seeing her without their permission, forget about getting their blessing. You had to court her, it took time and effort, but you could still woo her, dedicate tournaments.

What we've got now is a transaction like if we were buying a horse. And no, it's not the missing cutscene for the marriage that is going to make it any better. It's how meaningless and empty it feels. It's like recruiting a companion in a tavern pretty much.
Recruiting a companion is even harder than marriage sometimes, since companions may ask too much money, while you can marry any NOBLE woman by giving her father a lame old horse and some ragged trousers :grin:

You should not be able to marry someone without paying a pretty vast dowry. I paid 6,000 gold and a horse. Viking Conquest actually had family trees, how this could have regressed is beyond me.

Back
Top Bottom