Marriage - please make it less "random"

Users who are viewing this thread

I worked hard on getting 75 persuasion and went out all over Calredia to look for a good bride. out of 8 brides no one wanted me. only 1 success on first persuasion and failed in second. and don't suggest I save and reload, this is a cheat and I didn't buy the game to use cheats. The marriage system in this game forces player to cheat because it bugged. please fix it, maybe add quest to improve marriage success rate, like for example she is kidnapped by bandits and I go to rescue her. or defeat an army that took her prisoner to significantly improve chances of marriage, why make a feature so frustrating when you can make it so much fun?

I work to a list of a couple of different older guys and girls for each faction - ones that have the gear I want, and I know don't seem to have a problem with my early game traits - I go to the same ones every time.

The reason I have a couple for each faction, is because as @AnandaShanti says above... sometimes the game just seems to mess with you and you can sit there for an hour doing the same "85% chance" question over and over 20 or 30 times and get a fail every time. I find when the game does that I just go to the backup character and 9 times out of 10 I breeze through.

If the game is just going to get stuck in a denial loop sometimes even with 90% success chance, then save/reload isn't cheating, it's just getting around the bug.

They do have personalities, mostly copied over from Warband. Their personalities even influence how they act to an extent, you just don't notice because other factors weigh heavier.
It's very frustrating, yes they have... but due the lack of the adequate dialogs the player don't notice it, like many other things in this game. It's sad having the pieces to make the game great there but all of them are unpolished.

Anyone else find that your answers have better success if they match her traits?
Yes. The matching traits shown in green seem to be a (vague) 'bonus' to the displayed % chance, not included in it. This applies to other stuff too - recruiting lords, poachers quest.

Smithing hasn't been fixed in a year. Does that mean it will take 2 years to fix marriages? Every time I read post like this, and see the unanimous concurrence, even among adversaries, its really makes me wonder wtf TW is doing.

Yes. The matching traits shown in green seem to be a (vague) 'bonus' to the displayed % chance, not included in it. This applies to other stuff too - recruiting lords, poachers quest.
I assumed the highlighted ones are your Traits, but you'd have to know separately your spouses traits. However, Flesson said this probably isn't implemented yet.

+1 having the same problems with my play-through. Good to know that if they consider your character ugly its going to always fail? Should be added to the failure percentage though - should be clearer.
Regardless I would have thought that you could speak to the Father and marry his daughter anyway? Is this possible as a workaround?

Have they ever even addressed this yet? It's always one of the worst things about starting a new game. Sometimes t's fine if you're lucky but sometimes it's just endless re-loading garbage. I don't want any %chances n the game at all, it's garbage. I beg you TW, get rid of all such things have a different Dev do something better please. Plus if they must have %stuff I want it rolled the exact second I press the option, not in some hidden way! That means it'll be almost never that you re-load the game and choose one of the 4 80% choices AGAIN and it fails, because it need to be a REAL 80% when you click the thing!

I am a developer with 15 years experience and I will fix bugs in this game for free if you let me...
Some of the rumors and allegations throughout the years have featured that they use unpaid interns from university students in Turkey trying to get a credit on their resume. And that the turnover rate of these employees is quite high, their skills unhoned, experience null and by the time they are familiar with the tools that they use to make the game the internship is over and they are replaced with a fresh face and it starts all over again.

I would take that with a grain of salt, but encroaching 12 years in development it is certainly plausible.

Last edited:
TW attempts to be inclusive by adding many female lords, and yet manages to tear all that feminism down by making the same female lords mindless marriage bots who are fine with getting married without any building of relationship or trust, lol.
Some of the rumors and allegations throughout the years have featured that they use unpaid interns from university students in Turkey trying to get a credit on their resume. And that the turnover rate of these employees is quite high, their skills unhoned, experience null and by the time they are familiar with the tools that they use to make the game the internship is over and they are replaced with a fresh face and it starts all over again.

I would take that with a grain of salt, but encroaching 11 years in development it is certainly plausible.
I think this theory has more evidence for it than just rumors. It explains a lot, honestly.

P.S. RIP MostBlunted.

I think this theory has more evidence for it than just rumors. It explains a lot, honestly.

P.S. RIP MostBlunted.
The origin of this theory if I remember correctly was from one of those 'trash your former employer' websites that are meant to steer people away from toxic workplaces. Potentially some things were lost in translation, but that was the basic gist of the complaint.

The origin of this theory if I remember correctly was from one of those 'trash your former employer' websites that are meant to steer people away from toxic workplaces. Potentially some things were lost in translation, but that was the basic gist of the complaint.
I think that there are many reviews from former employees on those types of websites that say the same thing. Not to mention people coming and going before our own very eyes.

P.S. RIP MostBlunted.
UndertakerCasket.jpg

This thread never got enough traction to be noticed by the devs I guess. I still think it would be cool if they would rework the marriage system but there is more important stuff to focus on at the moment I think.

TW attempts to be inclusive by adding many female lords, and yet manages to tear all that feminism down by making the same female lords mindless marriage bots who are fine with getting married without any building of relationship or trust, lol.
Additional ladies were added throughout the course of development to facilitate a sustainable population.

UndertakerCasket.jpg

This thread never got enough traction to be noticed by the devs I guess.
Welcome back.

TW I beg you, you should take note about what the devs from Medieval Dynasty are currently offering for their relationship system :

It's surely not rocket science, but it works very well for a game like this, and last but not least doesn't break the immersion, I should note that the game isn't even marking it's first year of Early Access yet.
Something to think about for the relationship system in Bannerlord I guess.

Additional ladies were added throughout the course of development to facilitate a sustainable population.

Welcome back.

Come one man, ignore garbage comments. We would like to know whether marriage will be reworked, or developed further. What your current plans for it may be. People here seem slightly concerned regarding the current marriage system.

Hey guys, did you know in 1.6.1 you can now just ask a clan leader for a marriage alliance and offer yourself?! I didn't see it in the patch notes and still don't exactly:
Fixed a bug that prevented the player from selecting a clan member as a candidate when offering a hand in marriage, even though they should have been selectable
Was this meant to include the player or is this happy love bug? I didn't know until @Flesson19 mentioned it on a video. I had already suffered 2 normal dialogue marriages (and husbands hunting accidents) but low and behold for #3 I tried it and it works.
If this is a bug please don't fix it until you revamp the marriage system, it's really nice to just skip the dialogue!

just go to the leader of the clan of the one you want to marry and ask him/her directly, then you can avoid the persuade thing and marry instantly.

Back
Top Bottom