Marriage - please make it less "random"

Users who are viewing this thread

I´m trying to marry Phaea and I have 69 :wink: charm.

So I pick an answer which has 84% success chance with no fail chance (at least the game shows it this way, if I understand it correct). 3 out 4 of traits are green, 1 is gray and it still fails (of course I save scumm this thing, but it feels bad):

Please make it less random, it´s not fun and it doesn´t make sense to me.

Maybe just give us 5 tries for 3 successful answers instead of 3/3?

I agree with you 100%
is the world ending?

How about giving ladies and lords a personality and so you would end up marrying someone that fits your way of playing the game, making marriage way more important and forceful marriage a thing, making difficult relationships therefore making the system deeper and not just a flat and dull feature??

How about giving ladies and lords a personality and so you would end up marrying someone that fits your way of playing the game, making marriage way more important and forceful marriage a thing, making difficult relationships therefore making the system deeper and not just a flat and dull feature??

They do have personalities, mostly copied over from Warband. Their personalities even influence how they act to an extent, you just don't notice because other factors weigh heavier.

Last edited:
They do have personalities, mostly copied over from Warband. Their personalities even influence how they act to an extent, you just don't notice because other factors weigh heavier.
There's barely any interaction for me to know. Hey a lord burned a village now that's immersive! We need more, and that can only be shown by an actual political feature that makes them have disputes in between the faction. For real why do I care if a lord burns a village or not if there's barely any actual repercution to it and the amount of interaction I have is the same with absolutely every lord

Like i was saying earlier, we need more information so that the actually really cool complex systems can be recognized easier. Its just frustrating when you can't tell why certain things are happening. They touted the fact their UI brings more information to the user but there are still so many systems that displays are too simplified for the actual complexities going into features. I have a feeling this is one of the reasons people think the game isn't complex when it truly is.

Like i was saying earlier, we need more information so that the actually really cool complex systems can be recognized easier. Its just frustrating when you can't tell why certain things are happening. They touted the fact their UI brings more information to the user but there are still so many systems that are too simplified for the actual complexities going into features. I have a feeling this is one of the reasons people think the game isn't complex when it truly is.
Even if there are subtle features and things going on the back the game is still boring as heck and the lack of interaction with the world is immense to the point I barely feel part of this world even if I'm the king of a damn faction that is on the verge of ruling the continent and marriage is one of those systems were interaction is null and forgettable.

Even if there are subtle features and things going on the back the game is still boring as heck and the lack of interaction with the world is immense to the point I barely feel part of this world even if I'm the king of a damn faction that is on the verge of ruling the continent
Lol thats personal bro, you trying to make friends in the world? The game is just as immersive as warband was. You should take a note how Apocal plays, he knows how to interact with the world and take advantage of it. Did you ever buy breweries in towns to starve them out to make them easier to capture (doesn't work now)? Have you destroyed the Aserai economy by blocking off their caravans from trading with the rest of the world? Have you followed armies around and sold to towns they siege for massive profits? Like i was saying most people havent taken a look into the complexities in the game and what impact you can actually have.

Did you ever buy breweries in towns to starve them out to make them easier to capture (doesn't work now)? Have you destroyed the Aserai economy by blocking off their caravans from trading with the rest of the world? Have you followed armies around and sold to towns they siege for massive profits? Like i was saying most people havent taken a look into the complexities in the game and what impact you can actually have.

Cheesing the game doesn´t show complexities but AI weakness.

A caravan shouldn´t go forward / backwards all game if you block their path, they should change their target or use an alternative route. (Not sure if they do now, I don´t cheese the game).

Lol thats personal bro, you trying to make friends in the world? The game is just as immersive as warband was. You should take a note how Apocal plays, he knows how to interact with the world and take advantage of it. Did you ever buy breweries in towns to starve them out to make them easier to capture (doesn't work now)? Have you destroyed the Aserai economy by blocking off their caravans from trading with the rest of the world? Have you followed armies around and sold to towns they siege for massive profits? Like i was saying most people havent taken a look into the complexities in the game and what impact you can actually have.
You're saying it's as immersive as Warband as if it was a good thing. I recon Bannerlord has massive improvements over Warband and a lot of QoL but it's still the most flat RPG ever made. Yeah those are good things still lords are flat and lack character, I don't give a crap about this world at all because there are no characters that make me feel immersed or options for me to do so. See the marriage system and tell me it's something that truly matters when writing your character's story (not literally writing). Also the game has a section for friends and enemies, so yeah the game is telling me to have friends and enemies lmao. It's not something personal a lot of people have the same problem I have with this game too. Again, the game is an RPG too and in that matter is completely forgettable.
If anything what you're saying it's so subtle and minimal it doesn't even matter, also do lords act like that too? Do they do it to counter you? All I get against me are sieges and sieges and sieges so I dont care about it really

Last edited:
You're saying it's as immersive as Warband as if it was a good thing. I recon Bannerlord has massive improvements over Warband and a lot of QoL but it's still the most flat RPG ever made. Yeah those are good things still lords are flat and lack character, I don't give a crap about this world at all because there are no characters that make me feel immersed or options for me to do so. See the marriage system and tell me it's something that truly matters when writing your character's story (not literally writing). Also the game has a section for friends and enemies, so yeah the game is telling me to have friends and enemies lmao. It's not something personal a lot of people have the same problem I have with this game too. Again, the game is an RPG too and in that matter is completely forgettable.
If anything what you're saying it's so subtle and minimal it doesn't even matter, also do lords act like that too? Do they do it to counter you? All I get against me are sieges and sieges and sieges so I dont care about it really
I agree its lackluster overall but I don't expect much more than warband. The world is suppose to be able to exist without you and be able to exist for generations (we'll see when this happens) in a semi-random way. So you are right there is no real story line that is playing out, but most people like their sandbox games like that. I mean they gave us a main quest that we don't even have to do and people are raging about having to look at it in their quest log.

It is personal, you make the story yourself in sandboxes and if you need a story on rails with lots of immersion and personal growth then unmodded versions of warband and bannerlord are not for you. It is an action rpg that doesn't need you to function and continue on, i can imagine to a lot of people not being the focus of the world is something they aren't used to in games.

Cheesing the game doesn´t show complexities but AI weakness.

A caravan shouldn´t go forward / backwards all game if you block their path, they should change their target or use an alternative route. (Not sure if they do now, I don´t cheese the game).

I agree, but the point is people play the game without putting much thought into it and trying things out, then complain about the complexities without having ever looked.

Back to the OP point though, I still agree marriages need a revamp and I'm not saying the game couldn't use more interaction, but people claiming there is none or worse than warband haven't played in some time or don't understand what bannerlord is trying to be.

Last edited:
Marriage in real life isn't guaranteed so why should it be in this virtual world? I like the "randomness" of it. If it's meant to be it's meant to be, otherwise lick your wounds and move on to another prospect...just like real life :wink:

Hey....I just had my 30th anniversary so I know of what I speak.

Marriage in real life isn't guaranteed so why should it be in this virtual world? I like the "randomness" of it. If it's meant to be it's meant to be, otherwise lick your wounds and move on to another prospect...just like real life :wink:

Hey....I just had my 30th anniversary so I know of what I speak.
But marriage in real life also doesn´t work like that your future wife (that you´ve never seenb before) ask´s you 3 questions and gives you 4 answers for each question?

This comparision doesn´t make any sense. A marriage in the real world isn´t like the show "Who wants to be a millionaire".

But marriage in real life also doesn´t work like that your future wife (that you´ve never seenb before) ask´s you 3 questions and gives you 4 answers for each question?

This comparision doesn´t make any sense. A marriage in the real world isn´t like the show "Who wants to be a millionaire".

I get what you're saying, but it could be worse...in the middle ages almost all noble marriages were arranged and you often didn't get a chance to ask your wife any questions before the ceremony. Would you prefer that type of system here where your marriage is essentially a business/political deal with the head of her family?

Would you prefer that type of system here where your marriage is essentially a business/political deal with the head of her family?
Totally yes.

Of course the system behind it needs to follow some logic like your relation with her father. Will it make sense for the father to marry his daughter to you like to get an alliance with your clan and stuff like this.

Of course this will never happen :grin: .

There's barely any interaction for me to know. Hey a lord burned a village now that's immersive! We need more, and that can only be shown by an actual political feature that makes them have disputes in between the faction. For real why do I care if a lord burns a village or not if there's barely any actual repercution to it and the amount of interaction I have is the same with absolutely every lord

I don't disagree. And I don't disagree that marriage should be less random either, just to be clear where I stand.

Totally yes.

Of course the system behind it needs to follow some logic like your relation with her father. Will it make sense for the father to marry his daughter to you like to get an alliance with your clan and stuff like this.

Of course this will never happen :grin: .
I would like it too, but also make it deep so there's a space for huh... love? Not that I want an actual waifu but marrying someone without the approval of the lord should be fun too and could have quite some consequences, but anyways even the current system is poorly made, because you're supposed to build a relationship with that lady/lord but the system barely allows you to build that relationship, as you say it's only three questions that repeat with every single lady in carladia and barely feels like building a relationship, it needs more work

as you say it's only three questions that repeat with every single lady in carladia and barely feels like building a relationship, it needs more work
I´ve not even noticed that they all asked the same questions, I just look at the % and choose my random answer and prepare to reload :grin:

I've started so many games and I always get married ASAP, often in 2 weeks or so. I doubt anyone's gotten married more times then me without cheats.
I'd say 2/3 it's easy (epecially after 1.4.3, seems better), nail it in 1 shot.
But then 1/3 times it is an endless save scum **** fest and I hate it.
I already talked about how I want everything transparent and workable, but I just can't state strongly enough how much I hate it when the system decides to give you a hard time. Whatever they do with marriage, it can't be this kind of ****. I would like some displayed relation and preferences info and maybe also a bard npc that can tell you or even give you a quest to help court the person. If they're interested in someone else their should be a way to win them over via duel or some other thing, including bad stuff that could cause you trouble. It's sad because warband even had a primitive version of this stuff, for men anyways. Female character was pretty simple and lame, but incredibly useful for long game.

And there may be a lot of fish in the sea but there's actually very few fish with a noble bow AND 40+ body armor AND 60+ Horse armor.

Yes, that´s what I mean.

Lock it behind renown/quests/whatever, just make it less random. Of course we shouldn´t be able to marry whoever as a "fresh" character.

But also, it shouldn´t fail if you´re like in the late game and have "everything" because of some random stuff.

I´m also fine with stuff like "Woman X doesn´t like a beard", but make it clear to the player. Like that she says something like:

"You´re a true warrior, but I don´t like your appearance" or whatever.
Going to disagree partially.

If you want to use the dynasty system with childs included, marriage is not only early game, but rather very early game. Not late game.
And it certainly wouldn't hurt too much if you wouldn't have to save scum around to get one decently looking char with stats no worse than a good companion.

Late game all you get is a char with good gear, so why even bother at that point?

Last edited:
I worked hard on getting 75 persuasion and went out all over Calredia to look for a good bride. out of 8 brides no one wanted me. only 1 success on first persuasion and failed in second. and don't suggest I save and reload, this is a cheat and I didn't buy the game to use cheats. The marriage system in this game forces player to cheat because it bugged. please fix it, maybe add quest to improve marriage success rate, like for example she is kidnapped by bandits and I go to rescue her. or defeat an army that took her prisoner to significantly improve chances of marriage, why make a feature so frustrating when you can make it so much fun?

Back
Top Bottom